Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David weir

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This. Might get away with it for a while, but as a strategy will always be in danger of losing ground to clubs who DO buy Premier League Ready players

Agreed. We should follow the Everton model of signing experienced premier league players

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Agreed. We should follow the Everton model of signing experienced premier league players

I know we've had it all a while now, but some of the shots of the training facilities are stunning.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Not sure why I quoted someone there!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think what he said is generally true. We buy a decent ready made one occasionally but tend to develop most of our signings into good players who either play or get sold on for profit. The model is working and should continue to do so. If we ever get top six and higher income streams then we might buy a few more ready mades, but to be honest I love the way the club is being run and we should all recognise that it might not be forever.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Watching it now while waiting for the stream... good interview. Was he interviewed in the Royal Pavilion? Rather ornate background...

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
“We are not a club that buys premier league ready players “bit worrying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Might get away with it for a while, but as a strategy will always be in danger of losing ground to clubs who DO buy Premier League Ready players

Oh dear. Rattled the cages of the resident whingers.

The clubs strategy has been a DISASTER so far. I mean only 9th.

And look at the TERRIBLE players we have got/had. White, Biss, Caceido, Tross, Mac Argie, Mwepu. When we should have got JLinz on £200k pw.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maybe just buying ONE premier league ready player to bolster the perennial weakest area of the pitch might help tho eh?

Does Welbeck not count as proven Premier League ? Or Lallana ?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

What does it even mean though THPP? We'll have a principle that says we focus on value or something like that, and that will mean that by and large we won't buy players that have been a success in other PL teams for any period of time, due to the massive transfer fees and wages. Even if you don't agree with that, it's not even a choice. Weir is simply confirming what basic economics already tell us. We cannot afford to go and buy £50m players on £200k per week. Our stalking grounds are young players on the fringes of other squads who have had enough and run their contracts down (Tariq), or players that are smashing it in other leagues that the data says could be a success here. There is also the seasoned professional pathway, for your Lallana's and Welbecks.

So in a way, we clearly do buy established PL players. But the circumstances have to make sense.

Only the top few buy 'established' for every position in their squad, and there is overwhelming amounts of evidence that shows that isn't any better than our approach anyway.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Maybe just buying ONE premier league ready player to bolster the perennial weakest area of the pitch might help tho eh?

I agree. We should send Welbz, Lallana, Webster, Veltman, Lamptey and Cucu out on loan to League 1 or USG to get them ready for the PL

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Club took a punt on both players varying degrees of sicknotedness. If they didn't have that hanging over them, they'd be playing elsewhere

Blimey a narrowing criteria then. So must be a proven PL, with no injury problems and improve the team. At the same time we value those very players at £50M+ ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Oh dear. Rattled the cages of the resident whingers.

The clubs strategy has been a DISASTER so far. I mean only 9th.

And look at the TERRIBLE players we have got/had. White, Biss, Caceido, Tross, Mac Argie, Mwepu. When we should have got JLinz on £200k pw.

Meaningless cherry picking :ffsparr:

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
“We are not a club that buys premier league ready players “bit worrying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The club have been saying ever since we got to the premier league, that we have to do things differently to pretty much 95% of the rest of the teams. Their plan is to buy young players with potential and develop them. It was the whole philosophy behind appointing Ashworth and Potter. They've repeatedly made it clear that we won't spend money on big name premier league players as they will fall outside of the club's wage structure.

I'm not having a pop at you, I'm just surprised this is news to you or anyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here