Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Benn vs Eubank

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Rumoured to be signed this week, IMHO farcical, bordering on dangerous.

Catchweight contests were normally the remit of Professional wrestling, this is clearly a gimmick which unfortunately a large part of the boxing fan base will buy into.

The last catchweight contest Mr Hearn put together was GGG vs Brook and that didn’t end well.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Only obliquely related but...

... these are a good book

Screenshot_20220725-133740_Chrome.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My god those original fights in the 90s were EPIC weren't they. Brutal and thrilling beyond belief, with genuine hatred between them. I can remember Eubank doing a post-fight interview ringside after his win, with his tongue shredded. "He' an animal, I want him testhted" or words to that effect. Then parading the belt on the pitch at the Goldstone. Everyone in the country hated Eubank and wanted him to lose, except for our little corrner. Such a great era for boxing, before Sky got hold of it, put it behind a paywall, and ruined it as a national event forever.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I must confess as someone that used to follow boxing but doesn't really any more I thought this was the originals getting back in the ring. I'd probably pay to see that to be fair!

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
My god those original fights in the 90s were EPIC weren't they. Brutal and thrilling beyond belief, with genuine hatred between them. I can remember Eubank doing a post-fight interview ringside after his win, with his tongue shredded. "He' an animal, I want him testhted" or words to that effect. Then parading the belt on the pitch at the Goldstone. Everyone in the country hated Eubank and wanted him to lose, except for our little corrner. Such a great era for boxing, before Sky got hold of it, put it behind a paywall, and ruined it as a national event forever.

I remember watching the Eubank v Collins fight in a bar in Dublin. I didn’t feel in the majority in terms of allegiance that evening!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

This is it. All the time it's barely possible to watch, maybe you have to pay £25 or stay up to 4am, or it's obviously tarnished by being in Saudi Arabia it's only ever going to have a very limited appeal.

Boxing was genuinely massive then.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I remember we played West Ham just before one of the Benn/Eubank fights. There were shouts of "Benn" from the Hammers fans, met by "Eubank" from the Brighton end. There was a real buzz that day and the forthcoming fight seemed to encapsulate it

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Told the tale on here umpteen times, but one more time won't do any harm I suppose...

Went to a Chris Eubank sparring session in the 90s sometime, held at hotel Metropole. There was a ring set up, the deal was you paid a fiver to local charity, you watched a bit of sparring, then CE sat in middle of ring doing a Q&A.

Q&A over, THPP took it upon himself to gain an in-ring photo-op with local hero. Sadly, due to trailing-leg middle-rope incident, THPP fell flat on face into ring. Failed to beat the count sadly :blush:

Still got the photo somewhere, mind :clap:

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Just feel Benn has taken the money for this fight. He really doesn't need to fight Eubank Jnr at this stage of his career imho.
It seems Eubank Jnr manages to dodge all the decent pound-for-pound fighters in his division but still racks up wins against average very average fighters.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

He speaks like this normally, nothing to do with this tongue being shredded.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
This is it. All the time it's barely possible to watch, maybe you have to pay £25 or stay up to 4am, or it's obviously tarnished by being in Saudi Arabia it's only ever going to have a very limited appeal.

boxing for the casual fan is probably worse but boxing for the real fans has never been better . Some great cards week on week and domestically is very good.

As for Benn v Eubank , if at 154 then got to fancy Eubank. Guess Benn doesnt lose face either way. Time for him to be let loose a bit. Need to throw him in a bit deeper at 147 now IMO

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Rumoured to be signed this week, IMHO farcical, bordering on dangerous.

Catchweight contests were normally the remit of Professional wrestling, this is clearly a gimmick which unfortunately a large part of the boxing fan base will buy into.

The last catchweight contest Mr Hearn put together was GGG vs Brook and that didn’t end well.

I think its worse than GGG vs Brook or Canelo vs Khan because at least those fighters had already won world titles and towards the back end of their careers. I think this is a terrible decision for Benn at this stage of his career. He need to concentrate on winning titles at his own weight before moving around the weights. I understand that there is a lot of money in it but fights like this could potentially be very dangerous or career ending.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Have to agree. For me boxing has been in the doldrums for many years particularly when you look back. Across the pond there was Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran.

I was really into the MMA (mainly UFC) for many years but then that got spoiled to a degree by the ridiculous hype train attached to McGregor and Rousey. Fortunately, Rousey got found out fairly doors but the McTapout road show goes on although it's showing signs of running out of steam. The Irish gob is now barely relevant and struts around in silly suits, flashing his wealth and indulging in the usual trash talk that borders on the offensive and takes MMA in Panto territory like WWE. Tragically he remains the poster boy of MMA to casual fans, and even worse all and sundry call him out regardless of whether the fight makes sense or has been earned simply because he is a cash cow through PPV revenues. Too many MMA fans would not not know legends like Royce Gracie, Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, Matt Hughes, Georges St Pierre, Fedor Emelianenko etc

The only real light on the MMA horizon is Paddy Pimblett who has the skills, the image but is altogether the a way more honest and genuine person than McGregor.

The Seagull

Jan 17, 2021
Have to agree. For me boxing has been in the doldrums for many years particularly when you look back. Across the pond there was Hagler, Hearns, Leonard and Duran.

That’s such a lazy quote.

Mayweather, pacquiao,GGG, Lomachenko etc could live with those fighters. As could many others that spring to mind.

As for Benn vs Eubank Junior, I think Benn would just drop down to his usual weight win or lose. Eubank winning should get him a fight at one of the belts, but if he loses not sure where he goes. Apparently there will be a ‘next day weight stipulation’, meaning the fighters (and in particular Eubank) could only put on an extra 7 pounds or so. Could make a difference but I doubt it. Think Eubank will be to big and strong for Benn.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

That’s such a lazy quote.

Mayweather, pacquiao,GGG, Lomachenko etc could live with those fighters. As could many others that spring to mind.

As for Benn vs Eubank Junior, I think Benn would just drop down to his usual weight win or lose. Eubank winning should get him a fight at one of the belts, but if he loses not sure where he goes. Apparently there will be a ‘next day weight stipulation’, meaning the fighters (and in particular Eubank) could only put on an extra 7 pounds or so. Could make a difference but I doubt it. Think Eubank will be to big and strong for Benn.

I wasn't looking to suggest who ' could live' with the fighters I mentioned. The crop that I mentioned just had a charisma and star attraction that could excite the boxing fanatic and the more casual fan. Let's talk about Mayweather Jnr for starters and whether people think he's the GOAT? For me not even close! He carefully managed who he fought over the last half of his career to engineer his perfect record. He is certainly elite for his time, but unbeaten records rarely stand up to scrutiny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here