Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] I have a vote in the Tory leadership election....

How should I vote... if at all ?

• Just don't bother responding

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • 'Spoil' the ballot paper in some way and send it in as a lame sort of protest

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Vote for Truss

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Vote for Sunak

Votes: 42 47.2%
  • Other - please specify

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
and frankly I don't care which one gets in. Either will be a disaster / embarrassment... and if there is anything like a sensible alternative in the next General Election, I would seriously consider voting for them

I have these options:

1. Just don't bother responding

2. 'Spoil' the ballot paper in some way and send it in as a lame sort of protest

3. Vote for Truss

4. Vote for Sunak

5. Other - please specify

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, I did laugh at that cartoon in the Telegraph: "The Tories are about to make a huge mistake. Trouble is I don't know which one!" So Giant Douche or Shit Sandwich? (To quote a South Park episode). I do think you have to make a choice, and yes they are both appalling, but I do think Sunak is very very very slightly the lesser of two evils as he at least seems to have a base level of intelligence. Truss, as well as aspiring (and failing) to be a 3rd rate Thatcher, seems to be totally devoid of anything approaching a brain.

I am depressed.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Write "Prick" against both and send it back. It might seem childish but it'll give you some form of enjoyment.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It's like choosing between a Pompey or a Crystal Palace Season ticket, Sunak being my preference. I'm not sure which of these clubs that makes him though.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Dreadful choices, but IF (and I don't) have a vote I'd vote for Sunak for two reasons:

I believe tax cuts at the moment would be the wrong thing to do - they would fuel inflation - the NI rise, whilst unpopular is an evil necessity to pay for social care.

Truss is simply not up to the job - she's currently the worst Foreign Secretary we've ever had - and that's a high bar considering Johnson once held that position.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Stephen Fry on Twitter……..

“It’s like #wordle but instead of guessing a word, we have to guess which of two candidates the membership of the Conservative Party will choose. It’s called #turdle”

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Vote Sunak. Either of them will be voted out next chance the country gets, but for now Truss is just saying any old bolleaux that she thinks the Tory party members want to hear, whether it stands up to any kind of scrutiny or not (it doesn't). At least Sunak has a veneer of competence

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Tobias Elwood.

The only one with any kind of honour left, I do know he’s had the whip removed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
anyone can see Sunak is the better choice.

ideas Truss would be so bad to usher in a era of Labour government is misguided and risky. she might call an early election and might do ok. if she doesnt she'll be awful PM so its lose either way.

dont think Sunak needs the ego massage of a GE, probably wrong, just seems more likely to want to get on with the job. first of which preparing for impending recession and energy crisis across europe.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My gut feeling is that Truss is being pushed by the ERG, so she has two years to not only embarrass us but do some damage.
Sunak seems to be the lesser of the two evils.

I am a great believer in never wasting a vote although spoiling it would send a message but would Tory HQ even care?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I've paid into the dark money kitty, I need something in return

Heart says Truss she'll put in the final nail in the coffin of the Tories

Head says Sunak, damage limitation.

In for a tough decade whatever, 3 year visas available for Australia now for those who feel like escaping

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Rishi.

Truss is flanked by JRM and ERG, unless that floats your boat.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There's a part of me that says "we're screwed either way, at least Truss will be funny and will ensure decades of (probably minority) Labour government".

Rishi - for everything bad about him - seems to have his head round the whole inflation thing. Truss could send us back to the early nineteens financially and JRM could send us back to the 1890s socially.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here