Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has anyone on here applied for an Amex card because of the BHA sponsorship?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Bear with me. I was thinking this morning about feeling nostalgic for the John Player League and the Benson and Hedges Cup. Associations with John Arlott and great days out at Hove when I was a kid. Thing is, I have never smoked. Not even one cigarette. Those companies never got a penny out of me for all their investment in cricket. I now routinely refer to our great stadium as the Amex but don’t have an Amex card. I do think of myself as somewhat immune from advertising and have an ability to completely switch off during a tv advert break. So a few questions; Is anyone here easily sold to ? Have you applied for an Amex card because of the sponsorship or bought the products of previous sponsors because of the deal ? And do Amex and the others actually get a return on their investment ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If the time was right for me financially - and I had financial cause to - then I would get an Amex card... and that would be because of their sponsorship.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Had one previous to BHAFC tie in and will have one after if we ever come to that.

And yes they would certainly get a return on their investment or they wouldn't do it

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It is subliminal stuff. Making the brand stick to your mind etc., not a direct "I saw this banner/ad/brand name and therefore went and bought it".

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can't help thinking about the time I had a summer job in the Amex head office and I was filing away rejected applications. One of the people deemed not suitable was a top flight footballer (and future international). How times change

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Always had one. Currently have 2.

FYI - there is currently a BHAFC club shop cash back deal of £10 on £80 spend on my BA card at least

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
I had one prior to their sponsership but I got rid of it because fewer and fewer places were accepting it (remember That'll Do Nicely Sir?!) due to their high fees to the sellers. I was hopeful that when the sponsorship began we would be able to get a BHA emblazoned Amex card. Were that the case I would get another in a flash.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It is subliminal stuff. Making the brand stick to your mind etc., not a direct "I saw this banner/ad/brand name and therefore went and bought it".

Yeah, that makes sense. Also perhaps it’s not powerful enough to make someone take up smoking or get a credit card but influences the choice of brand once that decision has been made. So far though no-one has admitted to signing up to an Amex card because of the sponsorship deal.

Can't help thinking about the time I had a summer job in the Amex head office and I was filing away rejected applications. One of the people deemed not suitable was a top flight footballer (and future international). How times change

Ooh, that’s more interesting than my questions !

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I do think of myself as somewhat immune from advertising and have an ability to completely switch off during a tv advert break.

Everyone says that.

As above, sponsorships and TV ads are not about direct sales. It's all about brand awareness.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Yeah, that makes sense. Also perhaps it’s not powerful enough to make someone take up smoking or get a credit card but influences the choice of brand once that decision has been made. So far though no-one has admitted to signing up to an Amex card because of the sponsorship deal.

It's possibly less about increasing uptake and perhaps more about targeted corporate hospitality opportunities to host existing card holders / business accounts, to strengthen the relationship and gain a larger share of their business over time.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Everyone says that.

As above, sponsorships and TV ads are not about direct sales. It's all about brand awareness.

Yup. Coca Cola and McDonalds are prime examples. Perhaps Coca-Cola more than anything... if it was sold in some anonymous can, people would not really drink it because the whole brand thing changes how we percieve the taste and makes us feel it would be ****ing great to have one on a warm sunny day.

By the way, did you use to have a fansite about Rare or is that some other Wozza?

I HAD an Amex card for a few years via Barclaycard.

Their 'Cashback' credit card accounts came with two cards linked to the same account, one Visa and one Amex. You got 1% Cashback on all Amex card purchases and 0.5% if you used the Visa card.

Was a great system and encouraged you to use the Amex wherever possible but always with the backup of a Visa if they didn't accept Amex.

Sadly they changed the account and now it only has a Visa card and no more 1% Cashback.

I don't need any more credit cards but if I did I would be tempted to get an Amex and my main influencing factor would be their sponsorship of Brighton giving me a warm fuzzy glow about them!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here