Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] PL introducing multiball system to reduce timewasting

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Feels like it won't make a big difference but even a small one is fine, because timewasting is IMO the worst part of the game... yes, even worse than diving.

Think more will need to be done to tackle the issue.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Well-trained ballboys can give the home side an advantage.

I remember the last we had multi-ball. Little Hinsh booted one into the trees, and the ball boy was a bit too enthusiastic so the opponents scored whilst everyone else was celebrating the time-wasting :D

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Well-trained ballboys can give the home side an advantage.

The ball boys of the Withdean era were excellent, slow to give the ball back when we were leading but lightning fast if we were chasing the game. Spare balls collected up before injury time when we had a narrow lead. I hope our current ball boys are trained to the same levels.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
This is something I can totally get behind.

Now as far as the implementing of throw kicks or whatever the f they are called....heck no.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Feels like it won't make a big difference but even a small one is fine, because timewasting is IMO the worst part of the game... yes, even worse than diving.

Think more will need to be done to tackle the issue.

Having watched two Euro 2022 games at The Amex in the last week, there could not have been a starker contrast between feigning injuries, “he made contact and entitled to go down fouls”, timewasting, crowding the referee, Var delays in the Men’s game than there was in the two women’s matches that I saw. The refs already have the tools to eradicate a lot of this nonsense imo but don’t seem to use them in the men’s game.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agreed, much bigger overall problem than diving, it's something that's needed addressing for years.

The actual time the ball is in play in most games is embarrassing - 55 minutes the average in the PL last season.

And bizarrely, some see the solution is to reduce the length of the match to 60 minutes!!!

Independent time keepers rather than the ref. Refs should be trained how to implement the existing rules as well. Some hope!!

el punal

Agreed. And it's so embarrassing when our own goalkeeper does it

Not as embarrassing as the Wolves players collapsing with feigned head injuries last season. Every time we attacked down they went. The ref, being the complete mug that he was, fell for it every time. He stopped play, we lost the initiative and the Wolves player recovered like Lazarus. I’m still fuming. Still, revenge was sweet when we whipped them 3-0 away and eventually overtook them in the League.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Having watched two Euro 2022 games at The Amex in the last week, there could not have been a starker contrast between feigning injuries, “he made contact and entitled to go down fouls”, timewasting, crowding the referee, Var delays in the Men’s game than there was in the two women’s matches that I saw. The refs already have the tools to eradicate a lot of this nonsense imo but don’t seem to use them in the men’s game.

The England striker pulled off a perfect Harry Kane for the penalty in the England game at the Amex, and yes, commentators did use the words ‘contact’ ‘entitled to go down’ etc.. they even VARd it, and it was plain to see, but hey ho, home advantage and all that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As a clever person posted a while back the solution to time wasting is to time the game to minutes of ball in play (with the clock stopped during faffing as it is in some American sports). My understanding is that 60 minutes action would give us, on average, a 90 minute bums on seats experience. Clubs like Bumley (RIP) and their 22/23 equivalents would be forced to engage for 95+ minutes, whereas a Citeh game would be over by 85 minutes uisng this rubric. I like it!

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Bookings for any sort of minor dissent as well. No going up and down the touchline for 10 minutes before taking a throw-in, and so on. It's been a pleasure to watch.

The England striker pulled off a perfect Harry Kane for the penalty in the England game at the Amex, and yes, commentators did use the words ‘contact’ ‘entitled to go down’ etc.. they even VARd it, and it was plain to see, but hey ho, home advantage and all that.

The exception that proves the rule really.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing

One of the things i find most annoying is the constant standing by the ball when a free kick is awarded . Mick mcarthy's Ipswich were particularly adept at this "skill" . I remember one game where we played them and one of their defenders was standing over the ball when we had a free kick on the halfway line only to be replaced quickly by one of their forwards who literally sprinted 30 yards to take his place so the defender could go back into his position !
This behaviour could be quickly halted imo if the refs would just get their yellow card out and enforce the rules .
Another is of course the injury feigning . How many times have we seen a player at death's door rolling and screaming in agony and a couple of minutes later running at full pelt to latch onto a through ball . Frankly they should be ashamed as it means that on occasions when there is a serious injury the player sometimes actually gets abuse from oppositon fans whose first thought is ( from previous experience ) that it is all fake .
rant over .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here