Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] The 17p Supermarket Challenge

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Currently in Brighton and need to make 5 purchases on my Australian card to trigger the 2.55% monthly bonus rate on my linked Savings Account.
There's only 30 cents (17p) in the account, there's no International Transactions Fees and the currency conversion rate is done at wholesale rates very close to the spot market.
Normally I'd just buy 5 red birdseye chillies individually for around 3c each which then get used when cooking Thai.
But I haven't seen any for sale here and if they were I'd imagine they'd most likely come bundled together in a plastic package as does a lot of the fresh produce sold here.
So, looking for any item that I can make 5 purchases of that totals less than 17p.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Currently in Brighton and need to make 5 purchases on my Australian card to trigger the 2.55% monthly bonus rate on my linked Savings Account.
There's only 30 cents (17p) in the account, there's no International Transactions Fees and the currency conversion rate is done at wholesale rates very close to the spot market.
Normally I'd just buy 5 red birdseye chillies individually for around 3c each which then get used when cooking Thai.
But I haven't seen any for sale here and if they were I'd imagine they'd most likely come bundled together in a plastic package as does a lot of the fresh produce sold here.
So, looking for any item that I can make 5 purchases of that totals less than 17p.

Go to the veg aisle, find the cheapest loose vegetables, find the 5 smallest samples of said loose veg, and make 5 individual purchases. Might work. I’d try the carrots first, usually super cheap.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yeah loose fruit or veg in a supermarket.

Don’t bother with a corner shop or fruit / veg market, they’ll likely have a minimum spend.

Also be careful your card won’t block you for a number of small transactions in short succession

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Buy one small mushroom. Go round again and buy another small mushroom. Rinse and repeat. Might do it. So might using very small potatoes.

Topping up the account makes more sense though ......................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here