Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Police officer using excessive force in Eastbourne!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Remember where you heard it. I would be very surprised if this doesn't go national very soon for one key reason. The guy punched is black and it does not look good at all.

It's currently doing the rounds on Facebook and Sussex police have confirmed it's genuine and they are investigating. Footage shows two officers restraining a man on the lower deck of a bus who they appear to have under control and he is complaining that they are hurting him. You then clearly see one officer throw a glancing punch at the man's head.

With all that has happened in recent times it's just tragic that confidence in our police will be again undermined. The vast majority do a brilliant job but this is wholly unacceptable.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No of course not. Perhaps I should have phrased as a 'quick heads up'.

I should add that had the incident happened in a big city it could easily have sparked a riot.

Doesn't look good does it. However the copper can be clearly heard saying stop pinching me. It's whether the punch is deemed excessive and it's hard to tell from that view.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I don't actually think him being black will be the issue. There are a few Police who are just thugs whatever the colour of a person's skin.

Some us grew up in the 70s and 80s..

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't actually think him being black will be the issue. There are a few Police who are just thugs whatever the colour of a person's skin.

This.

They often have been, but imho it’s actually dramatically lessened over the decades. Cameras?

Friends of mine who were pubbing/clubbing in the 70’s mentioned getting punched by coppers, for example, for being lippy.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Police can 'use such force as is reasonable under the circumstances', if the guy was fighting them and/or reaching for something and they were struggling to control and restrain him then that might be deemed as perfectly reasonable. It doesn't look nice but it also doesn't make it automatically a case of unlawful force. I doubt if you can judge based on one clip that probably doesn't cover the entire incident. He didn't shoot him dead did he

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Police can 'use such force as is reasonable under the circumstances', if the guy was fighting them and/or reaching for something and they were struggling to control and restrain him then that might be deemed as perfectly reasonable. It doesn't look nice but it also doesn't make it automatically a case of unlawful force. I doubt if you can judge based on one clip that probably doesn't cover the entire incident. He didn't shoot him dead did he
I hear what you saying but then you go and spoil it with the throwaway last sentence :ffsparr:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Dont know about this case but we are lucky our police dont for eg react the same as Italian and French police

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I hear what you saying but then you go and spoil it with the throwaway last sentence :ffsparr:

Point taken it was a flippant remark. I just think some people need a reality check in this country when they constantly moan about the police, compared to the vast majority of other countries our police are pretty good and are not responsible for hundreds or even thousands of deaths unlike many places

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Doing rounds & Facebook made me wilt.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yeah, seen it now. Not good. The guy is fully restrained, on the floor. No real resistance capability. Policeman socks him one in the head.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Coppers in 1970s North Stand used to put a small coin in the finger tip of their leather glove and clip you on the head if they saw you pushing, etc. no one complained and it worked.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Coppers in 1970s North Stand used to put a small coin in the finger tip of their leather glove and clip you on the head if they saw you pushing, etc. no one complained and it worked.

I saw plenty of folks chucked out for no good reason. I also witnessed the West Midlands Police at their best.

It was a less about crowd control and more a sport for them.

A copper who has a suspect fully restrained has no right to land a full on blow in the head. That is malice.

There is a difference between that and giving a kid a kick up the jacksy for invading the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here