Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why this season won't be my last

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My first game was Barrow, in division 3, 1969. On and off, I went to games. Then the exile years at Gillingham, and I found I was going to all the home games. The Mailing List. NSC. And then...loads of the aways. On and off, with my son with me....and then Falmer. I love the drive through the Kent and Sussex villages. Reminds me of who and what I am. And then, the Amex, the faces, the match.....the EPL. And the lovely drive home.

Till I'm too decrepit (whence the tellybox will do me) I'll be there. I ****ing love it.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
My first game was Barrow, in division 3, 1969. On and off, I went to games. Then the exile years at Gillingham, and I found I was going to all the home games. The Mailing List. NSC. And then...loads of the aways. On and off, with my son with me....and then Falmer. I love the drive through the Kent and Sussex villages. Reminds me of who and what I am. And then, the Amex, the faces, the match.....the EPL. And the lovely drive home.

Till I'm too decrepit (whence the tellybox will do me) I'll be there. I ****ing love it.

Keep on keeping on until you can’t H 👍🏻

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yes but you see the issue here is you aren't flouncing or being a drama queen

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Absolutely won’t be my last either. It’s just in my blood. Started going in ‘88 and had a season ticket since 1990 (ok first season at Gillingham I didn’t but still saw almost every home game). It would be like getting a divorce to stop going. It won’t be my most prolific in terms of attendance as my 2nd child is due in October, but that’ll mean I value the ones I do make more.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
Just celebrated fifty years watching the Albion. If I can do another 50, I will be 108. Currently, that is my ambition and if I enjoy it as much as the last 50, it will be fabulous

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Got my ST (exact same seat too, which is marvelous) back this season having given it up the year prior to the pandemic for financial reasons.

Honestly though I'm so anxious being in large crowds now that it may well be my last season (again) which is a shame.

I'm hoping repeated exposure over the course of the season to things like packed trains and concourses drives this little anxiety goblin that follows me around back into whatever dank hole it crawled out of.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
:salute:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Got my ST (exact same seat too, which is marvelous) back this season having given it up the year prior to the pandemic for financial reasons.

Honestly though I'm so anxious being in large crowds now that it may well be my last season (again) which is a shame.

I'm hoping repeated exposure over the course of the season to things like packed trains and concourses drives this little anxiety goblin that follows me around back into whatever dank hole it crawled out of.

Is that a fear of catching Covid or fear of crowds after being in lockdown for so long ? I was very concerned about the former until I did get it at Christmas and also had my 3rd jab. Hardly give it a thought now and the only real behavioral changes are giving up alcohol (non Covid reasons) and not resuming handshakes when meeting people. We go out to pubs or restaurants every weekend and occasionally to football and cricket. I also get taxis to and from work where I am in classrooms of 30 kids, many of whom probably have the virus. I’m not in any way saying this is correct risk assessment though. Who knows.

D

Deleted member 2719

Well that was a result!!

Didn't you have to go back on the waiting list then?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Just celebrated fifty years watching the Albion. If I can do another 50, I will be 108. Currently, that is my ambition and if I enjoy it as much as the last 50, it will be fabulous

Your 100th season ticket should be free IMO. Should talk with Paul Barber when the day arrives.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

Was that Barrow game the one where Kit Napier scored directly from a corner, North Stand end?

I am 100% with you on this line. Very well said!

Agree completely. On sunny days the journey from north Oxfordshire is (with the exception of the M25) great. And it gets even better once in Sussex. Nothing like God's own county. Then, fantastic reunion with family and friends at the Amex to watch football better than anything we could have imagined between my first game in 1963 through to the grimness of Gillingham and getting soaked at Withdean. These are glorious years for the Albion, and I'm loving it. Life gets no better.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Your 100th season ticket should be free IMO. Should talk with Paul Barber when the day arrives.

At the age of 108 you will be on borrowed time; a talk with Paul Barber is quite possibly the last thing I’d suggest.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Is that a fear of catching Covid or fear of crowds after being in lockdown for so long ? I was very concerned about the former until I did get it at Christmas and also had my 3rd jab. Hardly give it a thought now and the only real behavioral changes are giving up alcohol (non Covid reasons) and not resuming handshakes when meeting people. We go out to pubs or restaurants every weekend and occasionally to football and cricket. I also get taxis to and from work where I am in classrooms of 30 kids, many of whom probably have the virus. I’m not in any way saying this is correct risk assessment though. Who knows.

It's a bit of both I think. I've never caught it so obviously have that fear of "well it'd probably be fine but what if it isn't?" but I think it's largely the crowds. I'm much less comfortable in pubs and restaurants now as well. Small groups of people in the open air is just about ideal for me these days.

Well that was a result!!

Didn't you have to go back on the waiting list then?

Nope, no waiting list at all!

I was in the process of buying a ST somewhere else in the ground and figured I'd take a look at my old block just on the off chance there was a seat near my old one and hey-presto my old one was there. Which is great because it means sitting with my Dad again.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Unless it becomes too difficult money wise, I’ll keep going until I physically can’t anymore.

The best football we’ve ever played, by the best players we’ve ever had, a fantastic stadium with a great view from my seat.

Usually home an hour and a half after the final whistle, good beer( a tad expensive, but it’s usually the only drink I have all week).

I love this club, our back story, where we’ve come from,I’m a Sussex boy, why would I ever stop going?

I’m not saying you’re wrong to stop, but, I’m never going to.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

But does it take a six hour round trip?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here