Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Help pls -which wire goes where? Long shot, but a hi-fi buff may know…

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Here we have the residue of my plumber’s clumsiness. He managed to get his foot caught up in the cable from my power amp to the subwoofer.

As you can see I have 3 wires and 4 possible holes. The permutations don’t particularly scare me, but blowing up either my amp or subwoofer (or both) does.

Anyone have any clue?

TIA

729F047A-DD23-403A-81DC-565BE15379CC.jpeg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
What's at the other end of the wire, and where does the black thing go, or is it in situ on the back of you sub-woofer? (I doubt if it's the second option due to the colour?!)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What's at the other end of the wire, and where does the black thing go, or is it in situ on the back of you sub-woofer? (I doubt if it's the second option due to the colour?!)

The other end of the wire is a socket that fits in the power amp. The black bit fits into a socket on the back of the subwoofer. It doesn’t power the woofer; power is provided by its own separate power supply.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
The other end of the wire is a socket that fits in the power amp. The black bit fits into a socket on the back of the subwoofer. It doesn’t power the woofer; power is provided by its own separate power supply.

Is the socket that fits the power amp the same as the black bit? What make is the power amp, and how old is it?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
This should be easy but that cable, although old, may well be the mains cable. Black/Blue nuetral - Red/Brown - live and Yellow/Green earth.
Presuming you have a stand alone sub woofer that has a mains socket that takes a plug and is then put into a 13 amp wall socket, this cable isn't right.
Does the sub woofer come on, a light comes on?
What amp do you have? Is it a separate item purchased separately or does it come as a full unit? Is it working? My old Panasonic used the sub woofer as the mains in and then sent a cable to the amp or rather a box with knobs that controlled it all.
Turning on the sub-woofer and if the main amp is working out of the other speakers, and knowing 100% those cables aren't 240 volts, touch them to see if you get a hum through the sub-woofer. That would say signal input cables. Now look at the main unit and a socket saying sub-woofer out.
What you should have is a basic phono to phono lead or something similar but bigger.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Thanks for all the questions and input. I’m off out now. I’ll have a look in the morning and respond…

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Talk to support for the device, this isnt always standard.

Red and yellow are likely a pair of speakers or signals. Black is likely to be a single speaker/signal, probably the sub frequency sender.

Given its likely just signalling, you could just trial and error it but best to ask support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here