Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Nsc 1922-23....

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's 24th March 1923. Brighton have just beaten Bristol Rovers 2-1 at the Goldstone (I wonder if we have still played them more than any other team) and the UK is in interesting times.

The original photo from the other thread is below:

1.jpg

So in this thread we re-create the NSC of the time, as we enter the minds and the cultural leanings of a grandparents and great grand parents of the day. Inevitably the thread is derailed into political views as well as those on the sport itself.

What did NSC look like in 1922/23. ? Morph into the minds of your ancestors and let us have a peek...

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's 24th March 1923. Brighton have just beaten Bristol Rovers 2-1 at the Goldstone (I wonder if we have still played them more than any other team) and the UK is in interesting times.

The original photo from the other thread is below:

View attachment 149764

So in this thread we re-create the NSC of the time, as we enter the minds and the cultural leanings of a grandparents and great grand parents of the day. Inevitably the thread is derailed into political views as well as those on the sport itself.

What did NSC look like in 2022/23. ? Morph into the minds of your ancestors and let us have a peek...

You mean 1922/23?

I should think it would be jolly good fun. The odd mountebank and bounder. Probably fewer racists.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Did anyone travel from Chailey today ? I brought my woman (I care not for what people think) and the station guard failed to open the train door for her. We pay a shilling for First Class and I expect more courtesy.

If McDonald wins the election next year you can be certain that these types will feel emboldened in their disrespect.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Tuppence for Bovril! Tuppence! It was only five farthings last week. Is there somebody at the club I to whom I can complain? I feel a stiff missive coming on.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Did anyone travel from Chailey today ? I brought my woman (I care not for what people think) and the station guard failed to open the train door for her. We pay a shilling for First Class and I expect more courtesy.

If McDonald wins the election next year you can be certain that these types will feel emboldened in their disrespect.

My dear sir, whilst I appreciate the grave insult to your good lady wife, may I point out that this is the match thread? Please post these comments on the transport thread. I do believe LloydGeorgeKnewMyFather has started one has the 12:30 from Bramber ran out of coal apparently at Southwick,

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"Mary Pickford is a flapper
She really likes to fook
And when she's shagging Fairbanks
She thinks of Tommy Cook!"

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I fail to understand why people left early with the result still in the balance. Surely most people walk home, or wait in orderly queues for the omnibus home.
Maybe it's a desire to ensure their wife's haver correctly ironed their Sunday best for Church on the sabbath.

I wonder when the Empire Stadium will be opened, and will we ever get to play there.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Jag förstår inte ett skit av vad skrivs här... någon form av utländska. Det är ju inte tyska, det har vi läst i skolan... så det är väl antagligen engelska. Eller kanske franska. Obegripligt i alla fall.

Det hade i alla fall varit roligt att någon gång ta båten från Göteborg och åka och kolla på den bästa versionen av den här "fotboll"-saken engelsmännen nu tagit med sig hit. Fast England är svårt, jag förstår inte det där med hattarna. Vem får ha vilken hatt? Det verkar vara en hel vetenskap!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Jag förstår inte ett skit av vad skrivs här... någon form av utländska. Det är ju inte tyska, det har vi läst i skolan... så det är väl antagligen engelska. Eller kanske franska. Obegripligt i alla fall.

Det hade i alla fall varit roligt att någon gång ta båten från Göteborg och åka och kolla på den bästa versionen av den här "fotboll"-saken engelsmännen nu tagit med sig hit. Fast England är svårt, jag förstår inte det där med hattarna. Vem får ha vilken hatt? Det verkar vara en hel vetenskap!

"Flat Caps - Casual or sporty hats like the 8 panel newsboy cap were worn by all classes but were especially popular with the young, the working poor, and the rich while playing a sport. Peaky Blinders characters all wear wool newsboy caps. In summer, the straw boater or skimmer hat, gambler hat, and Fedora were popular with men like the The Great Gatsby. Straw Panama hats were another rich man’s summer hat.

Most middle class men wore a black or brown felt bowler or derby hat on their head. The fedora hat and Homburg hat were coming into popularity as a businessman’s hat or as a rich gangster’s hat, and the top hat was still worn for formal occasions."

So - it looks as though Brighton's support base was more middle-class than some, even back then!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As ever, I have no idea who Bristol Rovers Most Famous Supporter is.

View attachment 149766

I'm not sure that showing a lady's ankles is appropriate for these pages. You can take your filth elsewhere. I assume you are a young 'un. I dread to think of the standards that this world will offer a century from now. My son said that he was most shocked to see a picture of a woman's stomach. I think such talk is youthful exaggeration. I console myself it will never be that coarse. Although I despair of Mr Crodo and his pictures of bare women's calves.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Constable, shoot that spy.

Thank you. Here's a sixpence for a pint. You'll have to spend it in the public bar only. The saloon bar is for people like me.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'll be flabbergasted if 'Chubby' Tate doesn't get a call to take on the colonies soon.

#stillmissRanjitsinhji

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here