Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Speed limit to be lowered to 20mph in Wales

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wales from next year - a UK first that is controversial among some drivers.

Ministers have said a 20mph speed limit will lower road collisions and noise and encourage people to walk or cycle.

The slower limit has been divisive in areas where there have been trials with some motorists complaining of more congestion and journeys taking longer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62020427

I caught a voxpops on 5-Live about this.

One incompetent driver actually said it was so difficult to drive at 20mph they'd have to keep.looking at the speedometer, which will cause accidents.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Ministers have said a 20mph speed limit will lower road collisions and noise and encourage people to walk or cycle.

The slower limit has been divisive in areas where there have been trials with some motorists complaining of more congestion and journeys taking longer

One incompetent driver actually said it was so difficult to drive at 20mph they'd have to keep.looking at the speedometer, which will cause accidents.

Was that your judgement that they were incompetent?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

That was another great Nicky Campbell phone in. Most people gave good cases for either side of the debate.

And that petrolhead really did say that, over and over again … that his car (a Toyota Yaris hybrid) doesn’t have any form of gearing, so it’s impossible to slow from 30 to 20. Plus the text-er who said he’s going to continue to drive through 20 zones at 35.

The ex-traffic coppers who’d dealt with dead kids mown down by cars, was definitely something to listen to.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That was another great Nicky Campbell phone in. Most people gave good cases for either side of the debate.

And that petrolhead really did say that, over and over again … that his car (a Toyota Yaris hybrid) doesn’t have any form of gearing, so it’s impossible to slow from 30 to 20. Plus the text-er who said he’s going to continue to drive through 20 zones at 35.

The ex-traffic coppers who’d dealt with dead kids mown down by cars, was definitely something to listen to.

If only it were unbelievable.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

From the article …I think she’s got a valid point

After a pilot in her community in Buckley, Flintshire, Adie Drury started a petition against what she calls the "non-democratic whitewash" and has got more than 12,500 signatures.
"The community has no problem with a 20mph limit where it's necessary and where it's safe, like outside schools, health centres in housing estates and in heavily pedestrianised areas," said the 39-year-old mum.
"I was raised on a housing estate and played football in the road when I was a child and it's good to invite the community into the road-space - but it should be where it is appropriate.
"You wouldn't want your child playing football in an arterial road so why is the arterial road being made 20mph?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
From the article …I think she’s got a valid point

After a pilot in her community in Buckley, Flintshire, Adie Drury started a petition against what she calls the "non-democratic whitewash" and has got more than 12,500 signatures.
"The community has no problem with a 20mph limit where it's necessary and where it's safe, like outside schools, health centres in housing estates and in heavily pedestrianised areas," said the 39-year-old mum.
"I was raised on a housing estate and played football in the road when I was a child and it's good to invite the community into the road-space - but it should be where it is appropriate.
"You wouldn't want your child playing football in an arterial road so why is the arterial road being made 20mph?

I learned a lot from the NC show. The blanket 20 policy all urban areas 24-7, ALL of Wales didn’t seem right. For example it covered certain bypasses and the middle of the night on all roads. The two ladies promoting it on R5 it seemed to have ‘tunnel vision’, a fait accompli, any other argument dismissed.

The AA’s Edmund King and some other contributors were more sensible - 20 on residential roads after true consultation, perhaps at agreed times on other roads as used in other nations.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

20 MPH limit everywhere in Faversham. Pleased to see the mad fuggers have dropped their speed to 40, even when they are in a hurry, on their phone, lighting a fag, and not signaling before approaching a turn off. It's a miracle.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I remember listening to a radio discussion about speed cameras, where one caller complained that a speed camera at the bottom of a hill shouldn't be there because no one can control the speed of their car when travelling downhill.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I remember listening to a radio discussion about speed cameras, where one caller complained that a speed camera at the bottom of a hill shouldn't be there because no one can control the speed of their car when travelling downhill.

That was also said by another voice on the voxpops.

The law in Wales will mean all residential areas, houses lampposts etc will become 20 mph limit.
It will then be up to the local council to increase the limit on specific roads, if they deem it appropriate.

You wouldn't have thought there was much in that to get upset about.

D

Deleted member 2719

With the speed limits going to down to 20mph, now is the time to make all road going vehicles pay vehicle tax, have a MOT test and a Registration licence.

I have come across cyclists speeding through 30 limits, with no retribution.

Time to level up the cyclist. It's only fair and right to do so.

How do you report these camera wearing nutjobs.:mad:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great stuff, everyone loves more congestion and journeys taking longer.

You seem to be leaning heavily on the end of the sentence omitting 'some motorists complaining'.

Sure us motorists complaining when asked to drive slower is so rare, I can see why you missed it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
You seem to be leaning heavily on the end of the sentence omitting 'some motorists complaining'.

Sure us motorists complaining when asked to drive slower is so rare, I can see why you missed it.

I didn't omit it, it's right there in the quote.

You asked why some people might be upset, there's always a knock on effect to big changes like this.

You can't just dismiss increased journey times and congestion like it doesn't matter. What effect will it have on air quality? Will it affect the earnings of cabbies and delivery drivers in cities?

Of course some people get upset when a long term status quo is changed, as far as I can tell with very little public debate or consultation.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We’ve had a 20 mph pilot scheme for a couple of months in Abergavenny. It takes a bit of getting used to going that slowly. As others have said, it’s a good idea around the residential areas and schools but along the main A40 it’s pretty frustrating and unnecessary.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I didn't omit it, it's right there in the quote.

You asked why some people might be upset, there's always a knock on effect to big changes like this.

You can't just dismiss increased journey times and congestion like it doesn't matter. What effect will it have on air quality? Will it affect the earnings of cabbies and delivery drivers in cities?

Of course some people get upset when a long term status quo is changed, as far as I can tell with very little public debate or consultation.

I'm not dismissing it like it doesn't matter - I'm dismissing the validity of the complaint source.

Much like yesterday off to work now.
Also much like yesterday I'll be driving as my colleague asked for a lift despite the fact I've been cycling in for the last X weeks and because I'm a spineless sadsack I said 'yes that's ok'. :down:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That was also said by another voice on the voxpops.

The law in Wales will mean all residential areas, houses lampposts etc will become 20 mph limit.
It will then be up to the local council to increase the limit on specific roads, if they deem it appropriate.

You wouldn't have thought there was much in that to get upset about.

hang on, so this is the same as present but reverse the default? main roads will still be 30, residental streets 20, which is pretty common these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here