Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Help needed with decision on which flight to book

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Apologies for the indulgent post.

I’ve booked tickets for me and my two lads for a bundesliga weekend in Dortmund next month. One of my bucket list things to do before I get too old!

Would any experienced NSC travellers be able to offer words of advice on what flights to book.

Our options are:

Stansted to Dortmund (Ryanair) direct but there is only one flight a day there and back. Is this high risk given cancellations and the general chaos with air travel at the moment.

There are multiple direct flights to Düsseldorf from Heathrow (BA) and the train to Dortmund is regular and the journey is under hour. But the cost is a few hundred quid more than the Ryanair flights.

The mileage from the SE to either airport is similar, parking at both airports is about the same, as are train ticket prices for Düsseldorf to Dortmund or the airport shuttle from Dortmund to the city. So these aspects from a cost perspective are neither here nor there.

So what would NSC do - go with Ryanair as it’s cheaper but if the flight is cancelled then there’s no options for alternatives, or, pay more to fly with BA in the knowledge an alternative flight might be possible on the same day?

Thanks in advance.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I’ve booked tickets for me and my two lads for a bundesliga weekend in Dortmund next month. One of my bucket list things to do before I get too old!

Would any experienced NSC travellers be able to offer words of advice on what flights to book.

Our options are:

Stansted to Dortmund (Ryanair) direct but there is only one flight a day there and back. Is this high risk given cancellations and the general chaos with air travel at the moment.

There are multiple direct flights to Düsseldorf from Heathrow (BA) and the train to Dortmund is regular and the journey is under hour. But the cost is a few hundred quid more than the Ryanair flights.

The mileage from the SE to either airport is similar, parking at both airports is about the same, as are train ticket prices for Düsseldorf to Dortmund or the airport shuttle from Dortmund to the city. So these aspects from a cost perspective are neither here nor there.

So what would NSC do - go with Ryanair as it’s cheaper but if the flight is cancelled then there’s no options for alternatives, or, pay more to fly with BA in the knowledge an alternative flight might be possible on the same day?

Thanks in advance.

Fly from LHR, as you say more choices if original flight is cancelled :)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Our options are:

Thanks in advance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62136022

Heathrow not looking good

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Agree re British Airways, to be avoided at the moment, too high a risk of cancellation or delays. Ryanair on the other hand, although so often derided, along with Jet2 are the two "British", (yes ok l know Ryanair are in theory Irish), airlines suffering the least cancellatios.

Also don't forget, if you prefer the option via Dusseldorf, that Lufthansa also fly that route more than once a day,

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Avoid BA at all costs. They are incompetent at best

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Interesting but not directly relevant.

IAG is the parent company of Aer Lingus, British Airways, Iberia, Vueling and LEVEL. It is a Spanish registered company with shares traded on the London Stock Exchange and Spanish Stock Exchanges. The corporate head office for IAG is in London, UK.

That's Brexit done.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Avoid LHR.

Stansted is a ball ache to get to but Ryanair seem to be performing.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
As there are 3 of you, suggest driving, only 4 hours from Calais..... (guessing you have a car!!)

Totally agree with this. Last two flights on BA (one LGW and one LHR) were a shambles. Chunnel and 4 hours is a doddle, and pretty well all uncertainty removed

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.

Our options are:

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I went a few years ago. Flew from Gatwick to Dusseldorf and stayed in Dusseldorf. Not much in Dortmund itself.
The train is free if going to the match, just show your match ticket if the inspector comes round. Takes just over an hour from Dusseldorf

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As there are 3 of you, suggest driving, only 4 hours from Calais..... (guessing you have a car!!)

Exactly what I was going to say.

We’ve done two trips to see Monchengladbach and drove both times. Nice and easy.

We also stayed in Düsseldorf one time and it’s a great city, so would also recommend staying there as an alternative.

You also then have options to drive to the match, but the trains worked well for us when we used them (car park was worse than Bridge at Monchengladbach!).

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Often derided but Ryanair are laughing now. By far away the best bet of all especially flying from Stansted (the least affected airport). Between us we've completed both with and without check in luggage 10 Ryanair flights since March this year with no delays or problems. Or drive as others suggest.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

I'd suggest this too. Given the hassle at airports the total journey time is probably about the same or less even.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Sorry to sidetrack but how easy was it to get tickets? This is something I'd like to do sometime soon.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Heathrow and BA currently seem to be in meltdown. Ryanair, to their credit, have recovered immediately as they didn't sack any staff (like EasyJet, BA etc) and so don't have a recruitment problem and can therefore offer a full service with very few delays or cancellations. All the usual reservations about flying with Ryanair apply of course.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I was going to say that too. Not as far as you might think….. or train.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
In view of all that is happening with airlines at the moment, why wouldn't you drive?

Dusseldorf is not that far away. Think London to Manchester.

If you haven't driven in Europe before, check what you need to carry in the way of spare lightbulbs, hi-vis vest, warning triangle etc for France, Belgium, Holland and Germany.
Also check that your cards will work in petrol stations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here