Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Young Sheldon

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
We sometimes have threads about what to watch. I'm interested in other's opinion of Young Sheldon, the spinoff prequel to Big Bang Theory. Initially focussed on Sheldon, it grew in to a ensemble cast comedy with a great supporting cast before developing in to a full blown family drama. 5 Seasons in, I was gutted to realise after 22 episodes, the season finished a week ago. I'm missing it already. I anticipated it more eagerly than Star Trek. A rich cast of strong characters, I can't believe the highlight of my TV week has finished for this season. Luckily already renewed for Season 6 & 7 already. I can't wait. Anyone else been watching it or maybe someone might start binge watching following my recommendation? It's not laugh out loud comedy excepy maybe one killer line per show, but now it's real drama.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
We sometimes have threads about what to watch. I'm interested in other's opinion of Young Sheldon, the spinoff prequel to Big Bang Theory. Initially focussed on Sheldon, it grew in to a ensemble cast comedy with a great supporting cast before developing in to a full blown family drama. 5 Seasons in, I was gutted to realise after 22 episodes, the season finished a week ago. I'm missing it already. I anticipated it more eagerly than Star Trek. A rich cast of strong characters, I can't believe the highlight of my TV week has finished for this season. Luckily already renewed for Season 6 & 7 already. I can't wait. Anyone else been watching it or maybe someone might start binge watching following my recommendation? It's not laugh out loud comedy excepy maybe one killer line per show, but now it's real drama.

I wouldn't describe it as real drama, it is getting little bit like a soap opera, but it is enjoyable nonetheless.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I watched the available seasons on Netflix and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, Netflix only has 3 seasons available to stream

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

i like it and ive particularly enjoyed the recent storyline about sheldons older brother and the reaction of the mums church-going friends

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My lads been waching, we've been dragged in. Quite funny and better than most of the shit on our channels

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I’m currently rewatching Big Bang for the second time, it’s absolutely glorious but I’ve never been tempted by Young Sheldon. Is it really any good?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I’m currently rewatching Big Bang for the second time, it’s absolutely glorious but I’ve never been tempted by Young Sheldon. Is it really any good?

It's why I started the thread. Maybe only one good laugh per episode, but it gets engrossing. Season 5 has been brilliant and should win awards. But you need the other 4 seasons to get the subtle nuances. MiMaw is a hoot, loosely based on Dolly Parton (without the singing). As I said, they have already renewed the next 2 seasons which should tell you something. It's just got in to the real nitty gritty of Sheldon's early family life, but I won't tell any spoilers. Just can't wait for Series 6.

Jul 7, 2003
I was never into Big Bang Theory but watched Young Sheldon from the beginning. I then started catching up with BBT (not difficult as there are about 6 episodes a day across the C4 channels plus All4) and have enjoyed piecing together the stuff mentioned in BBT with what is happening in Young Sheldon.

I think it stands well on its own with MeMaw a great character as is Missy although, as with all US sitcoms, every so often there is an episode where you wonder what they were thinking when pitching the script.

There is also that great link where the actor who plays Sheldon's mum in YS is the daughter of the actor who played his mum in BBT

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I was never into Big Bang Theory but watched Young Sheldon from the beginning. I then started catching up with BBT (not difficult as there are about 6 episodes a day across the C4 channels plus All4) and have enjoyed piecing together the stuff mentioned in BBT with what is happening in Young Sheldon.

I think it stands well on its own with MeMaw a great character as is Missy although, as with all US sitcoms, every so often there is an episode where you wonder what they were thinking when pitching the script.

There is also that great link where the actor who plays Sheldon's mum in YS is the daughter of the actor who played his mum in BBT

I like Missy too. She's like the Bart Simpson of the show.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Found myself laughing out loud at the last season, the characters are brilliant.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes. I watched the first two seasons and really enjoyed them. Iain Armitage was absolutely superb. Haven't seen the others, not because I've given up on it, but because other stuff's got in the way and I don't want to watch them out of sequence.

It's interesting how some of the characters are not 'quite' as they are in the Big Bang. Sheldon's dad for example is described in TBBT as a drunk and a redneck bigot whom Sheldon caught having sex with another woman (The reason why he always knocks on doors the way he does). In YS he's a much more sympathetic character. Of course he may have changed in the seasons I haven't watched - and of course he dies in the end!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yes. I watched the first two seasons and really enjoyed them. Iain Armitage was absolutely superb. Haven't seen the others, not because I've given up on it, but because other stuff's got in the way and I don't want to watch them out of sequence.

It's interesting how some of the characters are not 'quite' as they are in the Big Bang. Sheldon's dad for example is described in TBBT as a drunk and a redneck bigot whom Sheldon caught having sex with another woman (The reason why he always knocks on doors the way he does). In YS he's a much more sympathetic character. Of course he may have changed in the seasons I haven't watched - and of course he dies in the end!

This last season has been building up to that. Both his parent's characters have been developed enormously.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I tried watching it. Not really my cup of tea. Then again, I really enjoyed Superstore, which I’m sure many people hated!

I can see why it’s popular though, especially for fans of BBT.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here