Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bit of a scare

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Got out of Worthing Hospital Sat afternoon having been taken in by ambulance on Wed morning. I'd been suffering with shortness of breath for some time, legacy of asthma and Covid back in Feb this year. It gradually got worse and following a trip to my GP last Mon it got a lot worse Tues/Wed and I could hardly breath at all and honestly thought I was going to die. Had to phone 999, the ambulance guys were great and put me on Oxygen straight away and whisked me off to A&E at Worthing. They quickly carried out loads of checks/tests before a CT Scan revealed I had blood clots on my lungs (Pulmonary Embolisms), I was admitted and they started giving me anticoagulation injections straight into my stomach. Gradually over the next few days the oxygen was reduced to a point that my body could maintain a normal O2/Blood level, looks like I will be on blood thinners for the rest of my life and monitored by the anticoagulation clinic. A small price to pay when the Consultant told me I had done exactly the right thing by phoning 999, left any longer and I probably wouldn't be around today.
A few points about the NHS,

From the 999 call onwards to the ambulance crew, the A&E team, the Doctors Nurses and everybody else involved, the care and service I received was exceptional. I owe my life to them and will always be eternally grateful and consider myself so lucky to live in a country where a service as good as the NHS is available to all, we can't and mustn't lose it.
Hope I haven't bored you all too much, but felt I had to write down my experiences with a much maligned Health Service.

:bowdown:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I hope you get better soon.

I have a blood clot on my lung, a remnant from a heart operation. It was not too bad before my Covid infection, now I have to stop about 3 times going up the stairs to the WSU.

It is improving, but slowly.

Anyway I completely agree about the NHS, it is the best thing about this country.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The thread title is so British, life threatening situation is “a bit of a scare”, what an understatement :lolol:

Great that you are recovering, I had a similar experience when I phoned 999 having been through the questions on NHS 111 and being advised to do so, I was having a heart attack. I was so impressed with everything from the paramedics, the surgeons, the hospital staff and aftercare. I have nothing but praise for the NHS

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Good to hear you're on the mend mate, and as someone who has been through the mill with cancer, COVID hospitalisation and sepsis, all within NINE MONTHS, I couldn't agree more about the care, dedication and expertise with which I've been so fortunate to experience.

We mustn't lose it, I agree, but only by lying there for five or six weeks do you start to realise they are ham strung by paperwork and regulation, there's so must waste of equipment, every time I received an IV antibiotic, which was five times a day, so many components are dual purposed and removed when not needed and just thrown away.

I was going to be given, amongst many other painkillers etc, twenty packets of Paracetamol, which I refused as I can buy them from Tesco for around 40p, and, allegedly, the NHS pay £4+ a packet, even if that's only 80p or £1 (why?)

The shower on the ward hadn't worked since Jan, when I asked about this they did get someone to mend it, it lasted a day and they called him out again. My point was that shower has been out of action for six months yet all the lights on it (twelve to be precise) have been flashing to show it's out of order, at what cost?

The nursing staff were brilliant but even they spoke about waste as it it had become so endemic that they couldn't change anything, it's clear the management get the big bucks but the real service deliver is on the ground.

It clearly doesn't need more manager's but maybe different manager's who can look on the ground, better understand the waste, or prove it isn't, rather than at spreadsheets?

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Good to hear you're on the mend mate, and as someone who has been through the mill with cancer, COVID hospitalisation and sepsis, all within NINE MONTHS, I couldn't agree more about the care, dedication and expertise with which I've been so fortunate to experience.

We mustn't lose it, I agree, but only by lying there for five or six weeks do you start to realise they are ham strung by paperwork and regulation, there's so must waste of equipment, every time I received an IV antibiotic, which was five times a day, so many components are dual purposed and removed when not needed and just thrown away.

I was going to be given, amongst many other painkillers etc, twenty packets of Paracetamol, which I refused as I can buy them from Tesco for around 40p, and, allegedly, the NHS pay £4+ a packet, even if that's only 80p or £1 (why?)

The shower on the ward hadn't worked since Jan, when I asked about this they did get someone to mend it, it lasted a day and they called him out again. My point was that shower has been out of action for six months yet all the lights on it (twelve to be precise) have been flashing to show it's out of order, at what cost?

The nursing staff were brilliant but even they spoke about waste as it it had become so endemic that they couldn't change anything, it's clear the management get the big bucks but the real service deliver is on the ground.

It clearly doesn't need more manager's but maybe different manager's who can look on the ground, better understand the waste, or prove it isn't, rather than at spreadsheets?

I agree entirely, as I am a total Night Owl (32 years of shift work), I was awake most of the night so could see first hand the problems these wonderful people have to contend with daily and how they cope with them.
:thumbsup:

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
I had Bilateral Pulmonary Embolisms just over a year ago, my symptoms were not as bad as what you describe, I did not require oxygen for example. I was taken into hospital for five days though, also had the injections directly into the belly (don't they sting!!) as well as various tablets. They tested me for pretty much every ailment known to man in order to try to work out what caused it, everything came back clear, consequently they put me on Apixaban for life. I have just had the annual CT scan and echo cardiogram check up, now awaiting the results.

I completely echo your comments on the NHS, they were absolutely bloody fantastic and have been in the after care as well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The NHS is invaluable in this country and do a great job at the sharp end.
I’m pleased you’re doing alright now. My Mum had blood clots on her lungs at 62 but lived to 92 so although you have to take warfarin etc it shouldn’t affect your life expectancy.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I hope you get better soon.

I have a blood clot on my lung, a remnant from a heart operation. It was not too bad before my Covid infection, now I have to stop about 3 times going up the stairs to the WSU.

It is improving, but slowly.

Anyway I completely agree about the NHS, it is the best thing about this country.

Not sure of the usage criteria but can’t see a reason why the club wouldn’t let you use the WSU lift. Fair play for walking it, but can’t be pleasant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
It’s heartwarming to read that the NHS has saved the lives of Barrow Boy, Lawros Left Foot, birthofanorange, Icy Gull, Tim Overwhelmed, Since 1982, CC2 and even me.

Along with no doubt many others telling their own experiences, as this thread grows.

For all it’s faults, the NHS is brilliant when it’s really needed.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Got out of Worthing Hospital Sat afternoon having been taken in by ambulance on Wed morning. I'd been suffering with shortness of breath for some time, legacy of asthma and Covid back in Feb this year. It gradually got worse and following a trip to my GP last Mon it got a lot worse Tues/Wed and I could hardly breath at all and honestly thought I was going to die. Had to phone 999, the ambulance guys were great and put me on Oxygen straight away and whisked me off to A&E at Worthing. They quickly carried out loads of checks/tests before a CT Scan revealed I had blood clots on my lungs (Pulmonary Embolisms), I was admitted and they started giving me anticoagulation injections straight into my stomach. Gradually over the next few days the oxygen was reduced to a point that my body could maintain a normal O2/Blood level, looks like I will be on blood thinners for the rest of my life and monitored by the anticoagulation clinic. A small price to pay when the Consultant told me I had done exactly the right thing by phoning 999, left any longer and I probably wouldn't be around today.
A few points about the NHS,

From the 999 call onwards to the ambulance crew, the A&E team, the Doctors Nurses and everybody else involved, the care and service I received was exceptional. I owe my life to them and will always be eternally grateful and consider myself so lucky to live in a country where a service as good as the NHS is available to all, we can't and mustn't lose it.
Hope I haven't bored you all too much, but felt I had to write down my experiences with a much maligned Health Service.

:bowdown:

Blimey, happy you're feeling better and yes far more times than not the NHS come to the rescue.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Very pleased you are alive and hopefully on the mend, We all must constantly remind ourselves just how good the NHS actually is.

We must not to listen to the stream of lies and down talking from the right wing gutter press and constant drip feed from this government that outsourcing to American companies is the answer which it’s not

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Great, Barrow Boy! Well done. And brilliant too to have a positive post on NSC with no arguments.

The NHS do indeed do a brilliant job with insufficient resources and as LLF said it is the best thing about the UK. Free health care for all must ALWAYS be a priority.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Glad you’re okay and it’s great to hear a good news story and some positivity. Take care fellow Albion fan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here