Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Air coolers - recommendations required

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
With the onset of the current heatwave, I’m considering buying an air cooler. I don’t want to be faffing around (sealing up open windows etc) with a portable air conditioner, as it will frequently be moved from room to room, as required.

Are air coolers any good and, if so, can anyone please recommend one that’s good value for money?

TIA

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
We had one something like that but I can’t say that it was effective. I an currently sitting in a room with a Dyson futuristic looking blade less fan. That was expensive but does a good job

We've got (I think) three in total, and they are great! There's a couple of different types - one that just cools, and another with heater function too.

The trick is to look on eBay for the eBay Refurb store (https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/dysonoutlet) as they sell brand new ones in plainer packaging. The prices have gone up a bit since we got ours but they are WELL worth it. Much safer too with kids and pets as no spinning blades you can touch!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
With the onset of the current heatwave, I’m considering buying an air cooler. I don’t want to be faffing around (sealing up open windows etc) with a portable air conditioner, as it will frequently be moved from room to room, as required.

Are air coolers any good and, if so, can anyone please recommend one that’s good value for money?

TIA

Bought a portable air conditioner off amazon a month ago, very effective, pumps out lots of ice cold air.... I paid 215 and they've jacked it up to 250 now, I guess because of hot spell, fwiw I saw same one in local homebase and they wanted 400 squids for it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B085NZN4DR?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

TIA

Budget option, tie some strips of fabric to the front of a standard fan and make them damp, or stand a metal bucket of ice on a tray behind a fan.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Air coolers involving water/ice increase the humidity levels in the room (as the water/air melts and/or evaporates into the air), so whilst the air temperature will drop, your bodies ability to remove heat through sweating will decrease, basically proportionally as that is the effect that higher humidity has on you. Therefore, you won't feel any cooler, and the net effect may be you end up hotter than if you'd not used one at all.

Either stick with a fan, or if that isn't enough a proper air-con unit. Anything else is a waste of money - there's a reason those cooler things are only made by weird chinese brands you've never heard of.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I've got the Dyson Tower Fan

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/dyson-cool-tower-fan-22085242.html

I live in a 3 story house and sleep at the top of it. It's boiling in this weather and the Dyson is invaluable in conditions like this if you value your sleep. It's also quite quiet for a fan and the timer is really useful.

On the downside, £300 large for a fan is robbery for something that is used so infrequently.

Looking at this review it looks like serious robbery and perhaps of only interest to those with cash to burn and mindful of interior design. Of course if it works for you please ignore

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Looking at this review it looks like serious robbery and perhaps of only interest to those with cash to burn and mindful of interior design. Of course if it works for you please ignore

I sort of got it free. I got some vouchers for an award through work for Curry's so decided to buy it. I wouldn't put anyone off getting one - it's kept me cool last night and made very little noise to do so - but it certainly isn't value for money either.

The desk fan sounds like a plane taking off. Whilst that was only 30 quid, I can't say that is value for money either.

As a complete aside, the dog loves the Dyson in this weather and sits in front of it like it's in an 80s Duran Duran video.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Air coolers involving water/ice increase the humidity levels in the room (as the water/air melts and/or evaporates into the air), so whilst the air temperature will drop, your bodies ability to remove heat through sweating will decrease, basically proportionally as that is the effect that higher humidity has on you. Therefore, you won't feel any cooler, and the net effect may be you end up hotter than if you'd not used one at all.

Either stick with a fan, or if that isn't enough a proper air-con unit. Anything else is a waste of money - there's a reason those cooler things are only made by weird chinese brands you've never heard of.

I’ve read a number of conflicting reports. This blog suggests that evaporative cooling is effective here.

https://www.cosaf.co.uk/blog/can-i-use-evaporative-cooling-in-the-uk?hs_amp=true

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Bought a portable air conditioner off amazon a month ago, very effective, pumps out lots of ice cold air.... I paid 215 and they've jacked it up to 250 now, I guess because of hot spell, fwiw I saw same one in local homebase and they wanted 400 squids for it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B085NZN4DR?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

if anyone is interested in this model it looks the same as the Robert Dyas one, but Dyas is cheaper by £55
https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/zephyr...term=4578778784956946&utm_content=Smart - Low

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Two towers fans were fine

but last summer I bought an air-con unit with the big 'ol hose to stick out the window.

BEST.MONEY.EVER.SPENT

Yes it might only be wheeled out the storage for 3 weeks a year but it's phenomenal.

30 mins before the kids bedtime, I set it up in their respective rooms, close the door and it turns it from hell into an ice box. Brilliant thing.

I think it was £300 quid and it is simply worth every penny to remove the element of stress I used to get about how me or the kids were going to get to sleep on those horrific nights

Porbably destroying the environment but I WFH so I'm counting that as my offset.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
1. Blackout lined curtains and blinds to stop the sunlight initially entering

2. A/C to chill a room

3. Fan to move the chilled air round the property

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here