Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Unpopular opinion (?) - the winter break might not be such a bad thing after all?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Like most people I suspect I wasn’t happy when the World Cup was moved to December.

However having now seen the Albion fixtures come out and the way the break is built in to the football season I think I might quite like it.

Chance to have a break from the Albion before Christmas, allowing a bit of family time leading up to Christmas might not be a bad thing and then straight back into it on Boxing Day.

I don’t like the World Cup not being in the summer but I might well be persuaded that a winter break in football might not be so bad after all.

Shoot me down.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nope, it’ll definitely piss me off to have such a big break mid season. No enthusiasm at all for this WC but I imagine that may change come kick off. Hope so anyway, the fact that there will be so many Albion players there makes that pretty nailed on

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
well our form always seems to fall off a cliff in the new year with the current schedule, so maybe juggling things around will enable us to have optimal luck from the form gods

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I always thought a winter break meant no Christmas football. If it doesn’t then it’s fine.

I confess I thought the same. That’s why I like this break. Pre Christmas makes sense to me. The argument has always been it needs to be January as this is when the worst weather often is but due to global warming the break isn’t needed for that it’s needed for the players I think. And I’m starting to think the fans. December works well as there is lots going on. January wouldn’t for me as it’s a depressing month as it is.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
No enthusiasm for the world cup during the break for me, but I'm keen to see the Isthmian League fixtures when they come out next week as that's how I'll be getting my football fix with no Amex to go to for 6 weeks.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I always thought a winter break meant no Christmas football. If it doesn’t then it’s fine.

Kind of this. But a Christmas without footie ? Nah.

I suppose I'm being selfish though. I've got rugby and international cricket to feast on in darkest winter.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It’s going to be great.

I’ll get a couple of months watching Lewes FC while everyone else is watching the ‘World’s Got Blood On Its Hands Cup’, before Brighton resume business.

I hope we have a break for non-league football every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anything that breaks up a 3 month run of:-

not scoring
not winning
and a manager suffering some kind of selection paralysis.

Is fine by me.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Boxing day football gets you out the house and away from the Christmas stuff. Didn’t even mind the evening kick off last season actually quite enjoyed it.
Tournaments are for the summer can’t see many sticking flares up their arse and lighting them in mid winter.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No. If we don't have a break we'll miss the likes of Pep and Klopp moaning about how they can't manage their 25 man squad!!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Boxing day football gets you out the house and away from the Christmas stuff. Didn’t even mind the evening kick off last season actually quite enjoyed it.
Tournaments are for the summer can’t see many sticking flares up their arse and lighting them in mid winter.

We still have a Boxing Day fixture.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No enthusiasm for the world cup during the break for me, but I'm keen to see the Isthmian League fixtures when they come out next week as that's how I'll be getting my football fix with no Amex to go to for 6 weeks.

Is it really 6 weeks. Disgusting.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Looking forward to the break, holiday in Australia and Singapore without missing an Albion game, excellent.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Continental breaks tend to start on Dec 19 or 22 for two weeks. With the meteorological winter always coldest in Jan and Feb, weather couldn’t have been the true reason, it seems more for the festive break.

I’m not bothered either way, as long as it doesn’t extend the season any longer.

Until the ££££ modern era, the Charity Shield was around 13th Aug, first league games 20th Aug and the European Cup Final on the 10th May.

Now football starts a week into August, the 2019 CL final was on the 1st June.

Personally I loved the long summer break from club football.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Continental breaks tend to start on Dec 19 or 22 for two weeks. With the meteorological winter always coldest in Jan and Feb, weather couldn’t have been the true reason, it seems more for the festive break.

I’m not bothered either way, as long as it doesn’t extend the season any longer.

Until the ££££ modern era, the Charity Shield was around 13th Aug, first league games 20th Aug and the European Cup Final on the 10th May.

Now football starts a week into August, the 2019 CL final was on the 1st June.

Personally I loved the long summer break from club football.

Yup. Pretty intense, especially with the retarded post-season "Nations League" shit. Pretty sure the very short break a lot of players had is going to be noticeable next season. Not least the World Cup could be pretty damn bad as anyone playing regularly in a national team barely had any rest since the Covid "break" in 2020.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yup. Pretty intense, especially with the retarded post-season "Nations League" shit. Pretty sure the very short break a lot of players had is going to be noticeable next season. Not least the World Cup could be pretty damn bad as anyone playing regularly in a national team barely had any rest since the Covid "break" in 2020.

A reply you might get is “Bless their cotton socks, they’re paid enough”.

A true summer break and preseason gives these athletes (and Kemy Agustien) a chance to clear injuries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here