Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Membership Cards

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
How many seasons did we have to have Membership cards? Just found my old ones from season 87/88 though to season 93/94

Is that a full set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I thought we had them earlier than that, but think I chucked mine out years ago, so can’t check.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Seems about right. It was a thatcher thing wasn’t it. So maybe partly on the back of Hillsborough?

Colin Moynihan, sports minister at the time, brought them in I think?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Seems about right. It was a thatcher thing wasn’t it. So maybe partly on the back of Hillsborough?

Colin Moynihan, sports minister at the time, brought them in I think?

From wiki:

Moynihan was at the centre of a government proposal to bring in an ID Card scheme for supporters of English Football League teams in the wake of repeated outbreaks of hooliganism in the late 1980s.[5] However, these plans had to be abandoned following the Hillsborough disaster and the subsequent Taylor Report, but he eventually piloted the Football Spectators Bill through Parliament to address football hooliganism which included the introduction of CCTV cameras in all 92 League Grounds and a range of other measures to tackle hooliganism.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
How many seasons did we have to have Membership cards? Just found my old ones from season 87/88 though to season 93/94

Is that a full set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, that's all I've got as well and my Seagull party card and various Supporters Club plastic card and cardboard things!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here