Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] It's NOT the Amex

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Once again The Amex has been turned into the Brighton & Hove Community Stadium for a big event.
But spot the times that the comentators say Amex. 5Live have mentioned the England game numorous times and each time they've called it The Amex.
Makes you wonder what will happen when American Express pull their sponsorship. To many it is and always will be The Amex.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Once again The Amex has been turned into the Brighton & Hove Community Stadium for a big event.
But spot the times that the comentators say Amex. 5Live have mentioned the England game numorous times and each time they've called it The Amex.
Makes you wonder what will happen when American Express pull their sponsorship. To many it is and always will be The Amex.

Contractually it should always have been called the American Express Community Stadium but that was never going to wash was it?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
But it is.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting point. Do people still refer to the University of Bolton Stadium as the Reebok?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i still say Falmer often

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Huddersfield's ground has been called the Galpharm and John Smiths stadium amongst other names.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Bet Euro sponsors Visa and Mastercard love that!!

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

and this is why companies spend lots of money for naming rights. The amount of publicity American Express are getting through "The Amex" being mentioned numerous times on the Euro coverage alone will probably pay for the entire sponsorship deal many times over. The stadium is now synonymous with American Express, as is the team , a deal that keeps getting better and better for Amex, look at the publicity they got in Paraguay over the Ensico deal, with the Amex Logo plastered all over their daytime tv for days, Whoever made that first deal and convinced American Express to sponsor the team has made the company a fortune.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Huddersfield's ground has been called the Galpharm and John Smiths stadium amongst other names.

And because of that, it has no identity. And never will. Sponsors have to be consistent, or you’re a nothing ground. Another downside of money in the game, it’s eroded geo-heritage. Oh well, at least the extra income has it’s kept player wages down…

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Bolton still play at the Reebok don't they? I couldn't even tell you the current sponsor of the ground. The first commercial name for a stadium will always be the one which sticks.

Middlesbrough famously fúcked up over this, though. The original name of their 'new' ground was the Cellnet Riverside Stadium, but the inclusion of a non-commercial word in its title gave everyone the opportunity to omit the name of the sponsor when referring to it. As such, BT pulled the deal at the earliest opportunity and they've struggled to find a stadium sponsor ever since.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Working on the asumption it will forever be called The Amex in our eyes because it always has been, why haven't Tottenham taken up a naming rights? To many it is still White Hart Lane, to the newcomers to the premier league it is the 'new' Spurs ground. Arsenal play at the Emirates not Highbury. Surely naming rights would have been worth a fortune to any company from day one, or were the club asking too much.
Oh, and Bolton is asociated with Reebok in my eyes.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Bolton still play at the Reebok don't they? I couldn't even tell you the current sponsor of the ground. The first commercial name for a stadium will always be the one which sticks.

Middlesbrough famously fúcked up over this, though. The original name of their 'new' ground was the Cellnet Riverside Stadium, but the inclusion of a non-commercial word in its title gave everyone the opportunity to omit the name of the sponsor when referring to it. As such, BT pulled the deal at the earliest opportunity and they've struggled to find a stadium sponsor ever since.

From a fan, rather than commercial, perspective don't you see that as a positive? I mean, wouldn't you actually rather the stadium was 'Falmer' or something? American Express is its own entity, has its own identity - I don't think of Brighton's stadium when I think of American Express, I think of the company. Might be an unpopular view of course!

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
From a fan, rather than commercial, perspective don't you see that as a positive? I mean, wouldn't you actually rather the stadium was 'Falmer' or something? American Express is its own entity, has its own identity - I don't think of Brighton's stadium when I think of American Express, I think of the company. Might be an unpopular view of course!

Good luck with the Umbros this season.............:D

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Because everyone knows it's still called The Amex - and will be for years. It's just that the name can't be used in an official/commerical context for a few weeks.

Journalists aren't bound by those rules, in the same way you don't see © and ™ symbols in editorial.

I can help you out here. Commentators will say "[New name], formerly The Amex" or a few weeks, then use the new, correct name from then on.

:shrug:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What’s happened to the signage ? I know it all gets removed / taken off at world cups and euros so have they covered the American Express community stadium sign on the front ?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

The curse of the modern stadium, to me Leicester's stadium will ALWAYS be The Walkers and Bolton's The Reebok too.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Working on the asumption it will forever be called The Amex in our eyes because it always has been, why haven't Tottenham taken up a naming rights? To many it is still White Hart Lane, to the newcomers to the premier league it is the 'new' Spurs ground. Arsenal play at the Emirates not Highbury. Surely naming rights would have been worth a fortune to any company from day one, or were the club asking too much.
Oh, and Bolton is asociated with Reebok in my eyes.

Im sure at the time it was being built and for months after there was a lot of speculation that Spuds simply wanted to much money and no company was prepared to do the deal. Its been very quiet since though considering the cost of the place must mean huge interest repayments alone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here