Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Shinzo Abe Assassinated

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I've been very surprised by the lack of thread on this topic, given when this actually broke this morning. And now that there is one, it hasn't captured anyone's attention. I think it's purely exhaustion at how divided the world is currently, but this is a truly shocking event.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I've been very surprised by the lack of thread on this topic, given when this actually broke this morning. And now that there is one, it hasn't captured anyone's attention. I think it's purely exhaustion at how divided the world is currently, but this is a truly shocking event.

My feelings precisely. many hours after the assassination and with most of the world aware of the event, there are still only 4 posts on this thread.

I can only think that with our own political system in complete meltdown, and most of the newsworthy events being of a depressing nature, people are giving this a low priority.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My feelings precisely. many hours after the assassination and with most of the world aware of the event, there are still only 4 posts on this thread.

I can only think that with our own political system in complete meltdown, and most of the newsworthy events being of a depressing nature, people are giving this a low priority.

I think most of us don't really know what to say. I don't know much about Japanese politics or what the motive of the gunman may be.
It's a shocking thing to happen.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Same. Along with the current shit show in the UK right now, I think it just shows what little attention people here pay to events outside of the English speaking/European world.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think most of us don't really know what to say. I don't know much about Japanese politics or what the motive of the gunman may be.
It's a shocking thing to happen.

Equally shocking that l think to some there is even a touch of "meh" about all this. Such is the state of the world right now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I think there would have been more comments had NSC posters been more aware of the man, his policies and Japan's role in the G7.

Unfortunately over the last 6 years our news has been dominated by Brexit, Trump, Covid, Partygate and other Boris / Tory Party antics. The coverage of international politics has lost out in the battle for airtime and we - including myself - are all the more ignorant for it. The sooner we can return away from populist, narcissistic nonsense towards mature consensus, moderate politics the the sooner we can focus on the global stuff that matters.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
A true world leader he might not have been the actual prime minister at the time but he was still very highly respected thoughts and prayers go out to the people of Japan

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has the US Whataboutary machine kicked in yet?

It didn't take long after Copenhagen for them (Fox News) to use it to justify unregulated gun ownership.

Japan usually comes below us for gun violence, this will go right to but core of the nation.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

It didn't take long after Copenhagen for them (Fox News) to use it to justify unregulated gun ownership.

Japan usually comes below us for gun violence, this will go right to but core of the nation.

America 120 guns per 100 nutters, sorry, people. Japan 0.25 per 100 people

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Absolute zero tolerance as I understand it, last I aw (and this was a while ago) the suggestion was the weapon used was homemade.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Did see this hit the news early this morning, was a tad shocked that it had not made the board I'll admit. I put it down to the circular arguments that have constantly raged on here recently.

I know that Mr Abe served his country with the quiet dignity that you would expect from the Japanese and to have his life cut down in this unlikely fashion is shocking. RIP.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Absolute zero tolerance as I understand it, last I aw (and this was a while ago) the suggestion was the weapon used was homemade.

Indeed, it appears so. I'm no expert in the field but it looks like a very crude weapon made out of gaffer tape and a couple of plastic water bottles, quite surprised it was actually viable.

RIP Shinzo

np_file_169562.jpeg

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I’d looked at the thread but not posted.

Honestly didn’t (and still don’t) really know what to say. Last I checked a motive hadn’t become clear, and I didn’t really want to add another layer of baseless speculation.

Am frankly exhausted by the sheer quantity of shit flowing around the world atm. My thoughts are with his family and friends, for all the good that will do.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
From my quite limited understanding of the subject of Japanese politics, Shinzo Abe was a quite balanced politician who kept things going smoothly rather than take any significant steps in any direction. In Japan there is a divide between those who wants to remain pacifist and with a limited army for a variety of reasons, and those who want Japan to return to being a strong military force, with the latter sentiment growing in recent decades because of the (percieved or real) threat from China. Abe seemed to be able to reason with both groups, which is perhaps one of the reasons Japanese politics isn't more of a subject - status quo just isn't all that thrilling.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have a friend who has lived in Japan for 2 decades, today I sent my condolences regarding Abe. I received a response back that I didn’t expect suggesting he was anti democratic.

Interesting take on him comparing him to Trump but more successful in securing his objectives

https://www.thedailybeast.com/shinzo-abe-was-japans-donald-trump-before-trumpexcept-he-pulled-it-off
Shit, this is what my son was telling me he has been reading (on Twitter so pinch of salt needed).

I suspect more will be revealed in the coming days.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here