Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Band on the Run.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
No doubt apart from a few here on NSC i can't play a note but like many love live music and pub band's even better. The question is from writing and playing just how good is Band on the Run musically ? A simple tune or work of art ?

Music doesn't have to be complicated to be intelligently written, in fact, more often than not, I'd argue the opposite is true.

There isn't a single instrument that Band on the Run isn't an absolute ball to play on.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To answer the original question, it's relatively simple with nothing particular interesting going on in the progressions.

If you want something which sounds simple but is complex, Nik Kershaw's The Riddle is interesting. Not many people notice that the last chorus is a half-note higher than the first. To make that happen requires a very interesting middle eight and progression

For anyone who has a grasp of music theory, there's an interesting walkthrough here.
Progression to a semitone higher can indeed be a very effective tool. Tom Robinson does it to perfection on 'Castle Isalnd'.

https://soundcloud.com/tomrobinson/castle-island-1

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
They're only the band The Beatles could have been ................ if it had been dragged on long after its course was run, but fortunately John,George and Ringo had the sense to know when it was time to bale out.

Question for you, if the other 3 had chosen to ditch Macca in 1970, could they have actually carried on with a suitable replacement?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Question for you, if the other 3 had chosen to ditch Macca in 1970, could they have actually carried on with a suitable replacement?
They replaced him with Billy Shears and did okay. :)

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

No.

The Beatles had run their course. "Quit while you're winning" is one of the best pieces of generic advice ever given. Sadly, it's very rarely taken, so kudos to The Beatles for getting it 100% right.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I still play the album regularly. One of my favourites.
Consistently good throughout with no duff tracks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here