Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Band on the Run.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
No doubt apart from a few here on NSC i can't play a note but like many love live music and pub band's even better. The question is from writing and playing just how good is Band on the Run musically ? A simple tune or work of art ?

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Still have it on cassette would you believe. I deffo liked it at the time but haven’t played it in ages - I think it had quite a few good tunes personally - I thought they were largely simple tunes but am not really qualified to answer technically - BOTR and Jet were great pop singles

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No doubt apart from a few here on NSC i can't play a note but like many love live music and pub band's even better. The question is from writing and playing just how good is Band on the Run musically ? A simple tune or work of art ?

These terms are not mutually exclusive…a simple tune can be a work of art.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A work of art. Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Love the song, but prefer Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five from the same album.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Shite.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
17:15 BBC1 Weekdays and meeting daily objective

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Gawd just thinking about when this was released 1973…I bought my copy in early 74 when I was working Saturdays at WH Smith in Churchill Sq …if memory serves me correct the record section was downstairs and I kept on deserting my post to thumb through the vinyl…sacked two weeks later

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
.....and I kept on deserting my post to thumb through the vinyl

ooh-matron-kenneth-williams-carry-on-camping.gif

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A work of art. Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
They're only the band The Beatles could have been ................ if it had been dragged on long after its course was run, but fortunately John,George and Ringo had the sense to know when it was time to bale out.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
To answer the original question, it's relatively simple with nothing particular interesting going on in the progressions.

If you want something which sounds simple but is complex, Nik Kershaw's The Riddle is interesting. Not many people notice that the last chorus is a half-note higher than the first. To make that happen requires a very interesting middle eight and progression

For anyone who has a grasp of music theory, there's an interesting walkthrough here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSjjlPi_FBA

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here