Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brazen shoplifting in Co Op Hove seafront

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I don't want to encourage shoplifting as the staff are very sweet, but the Co-op at Fiveways doesn't have security staff. Mind you, the aisles are so narrow, it's difficult to see what's on the shelves, never mind nick it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Just out of interest, can you wander out of shops with unpaid goods with impunity in France, Spain, Germany, Poland? Or is it just here that the Police don't bother?

You certainly can't in Spain, not that I've tried of course, but most of the larger stores have their own security guards.

Jul 7, 2003
Yes, really nice, amazing how they always seem happy! slightly different to the guy there when we were kids!

Is that the one opposite The Crabtree? They are always so friendly and helpful in there.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, really nice, amazing how they always seem happy! slightly different to the guy there when we were kids!

Lol Baldwins i think it was called. Yes, a very nice couple. I used to finish work at 6am and sometimes i would go their and buy some beer before the 8am they were allowed to sell it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Same happens at our village co-op when those who must not be named are “passing through”. Stealing with impunity.
It's their culture. We have to tolerate it as we are a tolerant society (unless you're a racist, of course).

Snide comments aside, action should be taken. That's the police's job - and the magistrates' courts - and if they're not doing their jobs they should be held to account. There are foodbanks for the genuine needy now - whether they're enough, I don't know - but nobody, BAME or native English thieving bas*ards, should be allowed to steam roller shops and threaten violence on any staff who try to challenge them

Last edited:

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
Wouldnt have gotten away with it if Reggie and Ronnie were still around

Standards have dropped i blame the EU

Regards

DF

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Today I was shopping in the new Co op on Hove seafront next to the King Alfred .

Whilst I was in the shop, a man about 30 came in with a large canvas bag , he walked over to an isle and proceeded to fill up his bag, literally tipping loads of stuff into the bag .

He then walked out of the shop casually .

I alerted the shop assistant who said they have been advised not to try to stop shop lifters especially ones they know that live opposite in the council run half way house as there are A few men living there that have threatened shop assistants with a knife when they have approached them .

He told me they were all from a certain country but I won’t say which one , as it’s unfair to judge a whole country based on the actions of these men . It is a country a long way away .

The Co op guy said they can’t afford a security man and there is no point ringing the police if no one’s hurt because they won’t even turn up the same day !

What is going wrong with our city and why are the council allowing a half way house in the middle of a busy urban family populated area !

The Welsh are at it again !

I saw a shop lifter being caught last night in Marks n Spencer next to Brighton station . They took the bag off him ( a pizza and some salad seeing as you ask ) and told him he was banned for life ( how does that work ? ) and then let him go with no further action .. bound to become more frequent as costs rise

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Kingsway Co-op Friday looking at beers. Bloke next to me took 3 bottles of champagne and went to the veg section where he put them in a rucksack. Walked back to wine area and then walked out the store. The teenage girl working alone shrugged her shoulders.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The Co-Op made £100 m in profit last year, I am sure they can lose a few sausage rolls to people trying to feed themselves or need a bit of booze to help with whatever pain or demons they are struggling with (in lieu of any support offered by the State).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here