Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] EURO 2022 Official Thread

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Euro 2022 ready for lift off!

Hugely exciting that it all kicks off tonight at the Theatre of Dreams. Will be absolutely packed to the rafters and sure to be a raucous atmosphere.

England now favourites for glory, lets hope the Lionesses can roar and do the business for the country. Also could be history made during the tournament as Ellen White looks to smash Wayne Rooneys record as top English goalscorer (currently has 50 to Rooneys 53).

:ascarf:

:O

#backthebabes

Last edited:

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Looking forward to it, England's games especially.

Not sure about all this lumping stats together businesses. Is the mens and women's game seen as one thing now then in terms of caps, top scorers, titles etc?

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
dc114da9f1c73727a8c51e175c9b4611.jpg

3dd88906bf57f0da949a4b042e66a5ea.jpg

76d2eea40e3e6d88410fc4c10336fc10.jpg

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Looking forward to it, England's games especially.

Not sure about all this lumping stats together businesses. Is the mens and women's game seen as one thing now then in terms of caps, top scorers, titles etc?

Hopefully and equal pay for mens and womens footballers too.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Quite excited about it. Women's football has finally reached the point where in tournaments like this, games are actually quite unpredictable. There's 6 or 7 (England, Germany, France, Sweden, Netherlands, Spain and possibly Norway) sides that could win and another couple of teams that could arguably cause upsets. Only four (Northern Ireland, Belgium, Switzerland and arguably Portugal) or so of the teams are punching bags.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Hopefully and equal pay for mens and womens footballers too.

Sadly, this will never happen at club level unless they start pulling in PL sized crowds and people are willing to pay for TV subscriptions world wide.

There just isn’t enough interest in it for that to happen unfortunately.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sadly, this will never happen at club level unless they start pulling in PL sized crowds and people are willing to pay for TV subscriptions world wide.

Not necessarily "sadly".

Recently I've heard some female footballers discuss if they really want to go down the path of stars earning obscene amounts of money. It isn't necessarily healthy for those involved and for the rest of society.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Equal pay would be a massive improvement for football ..... The men getting paid what the women currently get is what i'm talking about :)

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Looking forward to the start of the tournament later - and hopefully a good win for the Lionesses to kick off their campaign :D Got tickets to every match at the Amex and the Final and can't wait to go!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
As I've mentioned before, this is the Euros and not only being held in England but at our very own Falmer (better known as The Amex). If your not excited about this I feel you should be. Tickets for the Austria v Norway game and the quarter final which I'm hoping will be England. Hope my Grandaughter isn't disappointed going to the Amex but no Albion.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I for one am salivating at the coming festival of football.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Firstly, I hope England win the tournament.

They've got a great chance with excellent form, home advantage and rival key players missing, e.g. Spain's Putellas.

With the competition being 16 sides, there's only 3 knockout rounds to navigate as they'll qualify without any issues.

When England beat Northern Ireland 5-0 in an April WCQ, England had 75% possession and 24 shots. Northern Ireland had 1.

Secondly, if the Euros encourages more young girls to take up the sport, that can only be a good thing.

Ticket prices are very low, but that's no bad thing if the primary aim is to maximise numbers sold, not simply revenue.

I'll be very interested to see the overall match attendances, and not just those involving England.

The 500,000 figure is impressive, but remove the 90,000 Final and England's games and the picture may change.

As an example, the 4 team Arnold Clark Cup tournament that England hosted in February could give some indication.

England's 3 group games attendances were 8,769, 14,284 and 14,463.

Attendances at the games involving Olympic champions Canada, Spain and Germany were 249, 114 and 877.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Arnold_Clark_Cup

Clearly it's important that a lot more people come out to support and create a decent atmosphere in all games, not just England's.

I won't give any credence to the BBC's inevitable incoming sensationalism when White exceeds Rooney's goal tally.

Comparisons between records isn't helpful and just tends to foster ill-feeling towards the women's game.

It's a laughably embarrassing attempt of trying to promote an equivalence narrative at the expense of credibility.

White's a great England women's striker. Rooney was a great England men's striker.

Let's leave it there.

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Interesting point about wages. If the Women's game continues it's increase in popularity then maybe more tv money will go to them, then their wages go up and perhaps less tv and less money in the men's game and lower wages for the men? This would be great.

However, I watched the Women's England game at the Amex last time (NZ?) and after that I don't have much enthusiasm for this tourno tbf (there was just such a lack of Power). I'll give the game tonight a go though.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Firstly, I hope England win the tournament.

They've got a great chance with excellent form, home advantage and rival key players missing, e.g. Spain's Putellas.

With the competition being 16 sides, there's only 3 knockout rounds to navigate as they'll qualify without any issues.

When England beat Northern Ireland 5-0 in an April WCQ, England had 75% possession and 24 shots. Northern Ireland had 1.

Secondly, if the Euros encourages more young girls to take up the sport, that can only be a good thing.

Ticket prices are very low, but that's no bad thing if the primary aim is to maximise numbers sold, not simply revenue.

I'll be very interested to see the overall match attendances, and not just those involving England.

The 500,000 figure is impressive, but remove the 90,000 Final and England's games and the picture may change.

As an example, the 4 team Arnold Clark Cup tournament that England hosted in February could give some indication.

England's 3 group games attendances were 8,769, 14,284 and 14,463.

Attendances at the games involving Olympic champions Canada, Spain and Germany were 249, 114 and 877.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Arnold_Clark_Cup

Clearly it's important that a lot more people come out to support and create a decent atmosphere in all games, not just England's.

I won't give any credence to the BBC's inevitable incoming sensationalism when White exceeds Rooney's goal tally.

Comparisons between records isn't helpful and just tends to foster ill-feeling towards the women's game.

It's a laughably embarrassing attempt of trying to promote an equivalence narrative at the expense of credibility.

White's a great England women's striker. Rooney was a great England men's striker.

Let's leave it there.

This always happens in all forms of sport, I totally agree direct comparisons between male and female athletes really don't help.

Sport is about competition between two evenly matched competitors. Whether it's women's football, MMA, U-12's rugby, everything is graded on a curve relative to the standard of competition being played.

Elite women's football, comparative to elite men's football, is an extremely low standard and it's disingenuous and patronising to all involved to pretend it isn't.

I am reminded of Joe Rogan hyping up Rhonda Rousey, he legitimately claimed that she could beat any man alive within her weight class. This is, of course, absolute bollocks.

The BBC will naturally hype this up as they have the rights and England are involved, and I shall enjoy it for what it is, but I'll have to grit my teeth through the commentary/punditry.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The Theatre of Dreams is absolutely rocking, co commentator describes it as 'deafening',can barely hear the main commentator sitting next to her.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
**** yes!!!

Beth Mead you beauty!!

:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here