Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Using an immersion heater instead of a gas boiler for heating water?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Surprised this hasn’t already been mentioned but why not install a power shower. Apologies if it has been mentioned.

And why would a power shower benefit the OP?
The OP has already mentioned he heats water for showers, he may already have a power shower.

Unless you mean an electric shower which is totally different to a power shower.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
the most efficient heating is only do so on demand, so combi boilers or power showers that heat water immediately on use. just like the cold feed washing machine.

A power shower doesn’t heat water immediately on use, you mean an electric shower.

D63F24BF-A56E-4361-8428-B5695964C88F.jpeg

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Some seem to be disputing low numbers for gas usage.

We had a new boiler fitted just over 2 years ago - switching to a combi from our old system boiler (tank for the hot water which was kept topped up). Combo boiler much more efficient.

Here's my usage for month to 6th June on my So Energy fixed rate - which will unfortunately move to a variable tariff in a month!

IMG_3307.jpeg

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
The problem with all these posts is the discussion about cost not consumption. No use quoting your monthly DD as this typically factors in overpaying in the milder months to compensate for increased consumption when the weather is not so favourable.

Does everyone here record meter readings and then calculate the costs based on unit prices plus standing charges? I think not.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Some seem to be disputing low numbers for gas usage.

We had a new boiler fitted just over 2 years ago - switching to a combi from our old system boiler (tank for the hot water which was kept topped up). Combo boiler much more efficient.

Here's my usage for month to 6th June on my So Energy fixed rate - which will unfortunately move to a variable tariff in a month!

View attachment 149455

Thank you for quoting actual consumption!

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
The problem with all these posts is the discussion about cost not consumption. No use quoting your monthly DD as this typically factors in overpaying in the milder months to compensate for increased consumption when the weather is not so favourable.

Does everyone here record meter readings and then calculate the costs based on unit prices plus standing charges? I think not.

See my usage above :thumbsup:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Converting to a megaflow type heating system means you can do away with electrically powered showers altogether as you get mains pressure out of the shower anyway. Pressurised water tanks retain heat better than a convential hot water tank too.

I think if you want to use the immersion heater the best way to use it is to have it powered primarily from solar panels.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
That's exactly what I do, however 5of my showers a week are in the gym...

Well done Val! what a great idea. Looks like the gym membership works out much better value.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
And why would a power shower benefit the OP?
The OP has already mentioned he heats water for showers, he may already have a power shower.

Unless you mean an electric shower which is totally different to a power shower.
Power=electricity in many peoples minds I can see the confusion. People contact me and say can you install a power shower? No I’m not a plumber…but aren’t they electric :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here