Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Using an immersion heater instead of a gas boiler for heating water?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
With energy bills going through the roof I’ve noticed that two thirds of our energy bill total is the amount we pay for gas.

Our washing machine and dishwasher use cold feeds and we don’t have the heating on in the summer. Therefore the boiler fires up twice a day for an hour to heat up our water for our showers.

Can anyone advise if they think it would be more efficient to use the immersion heater each time we want a shower instead?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Do you really need it on for an hour twice a day?

Mrs B is in control of that stuff here, but I think ours is only on for 15 minutes twice a day. Like you, this will be primarily for showers, with a bit of dish washing.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
At the moment with a combi boiler and gas cooking my gas bill is £12 per month

Maybe if you had a 5 min shower instead of 30 mins ??

Yes, same here. I love our combi-boiler, but we want to move away from using gas altogether. Ideally an electricity powered combi-boiler if such a thing exists, but I don't know if it does.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
immersion heater is like a huge kettle with the element in the water continuously heating. and losing heat, its not most efficient and used where gas isnt available. gas is usually relatively cheaper for heating.

the most efficient heating is only do so on demand, so combi boilers or power showers that heat water immediately on use. just like the cold feed washing machine.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
My emmersion goes on for 40 min cheap rate at 5 am (I've wired in a timer 3kw) and stays hot all day even after my shower. I try to shower as late in the day as possible. But i'm a single person occupant. Total cost 40p per day.
Whole family would be quite expensive i would imagine.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

are you missing a "0", living in a cupboard or have a broken meter?

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Interesting because my bill for June was £172 for electricity & £16 for gas. We have a combi boiler and heating off obviously, but showers used once or twice a day,

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
With energy bills going through the roof I’ve noticed that two thirds of our energy bill total is the amount we pay for gas.

Our washing machine and dishwasher use cold feeds and we don’t have the heating on in the summer. Therefore the boiler fires up twice a day for an hour to heat up our water for our showers.

Can anyone advise if they think it would be more efficient to use the immersion heater each time we want a shower instead?

Our boiler died 2 weeks ago so we were using the immersion for a week until the plumber could fix it (had other issues which caused the boiler to die).

Got a smart meter so we saw how much it was using to heat the immersion and it was really expensive. It's like a giant kettle heating away for half an hour, takes half an hour to get the water hot.

No idea on the gas prices but I can't see it being more expensive than the electric charge for the immersion.

Is the only gas appliance your boiler? That sounds a lot. Is it old? We've gone for a top of the range Valliant one that's super efficient on gas usage. Going to be more economical in the long run.

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
I've also been thinking about this from a slightly different angle, at the moment I'm paying 2 standing charges for electricity and gas, ( appx £3pw each ),
would it be a decent saving to go electric only ? , given that heating/water is the only gas used in a one bed flat .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

That's making a lot of judgemental assumptions, isn't it - I've never had a 30 minute shower in my life. Don't enjoy showering, TBH, so it's always in and out as quickly as all the necessary stuff has been done, thank you.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
are you missing a "0", living in a cupboard or have a broken meter?
My thoughts entirely - either that or he's found a supplier that none of the rest know about. ! now pay £139 pm combined (unfortunately not broken down into the two components). That's with the heating turned off, a quick shower every day or two, and maybe a quarter of my meals microwaved, so not involving the gas cooker.

Thirty minute showers? Is he Americn or something?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We have two teenage boys, this is an excellent way of increasing your energy bills, £180 electricity and £80 gas pcm

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
My bill for June was £29 gas and £90 electric , our boiler packed up for two days so only cost 27p each day standing charge for the gas and 6p for using gas hob , The electric for just those two days using the immersion for hot water was £11 , as people say it’s a giant kettle.

What we need is one of those water tanks with a single solar panel on that they have on every roof when abroad

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here