Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Cordless vacuum cleaners

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Shark Anti Hair Wrap Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner with Flexology and TruePet (Twin Battery) IZ251UKT

Bloomin brilliant but not cheap - £250 down from £480 when we got it

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Our Dyson terminally packed up a while ago, and I nearly had a coronary looking at the prices to replace it. I got all tight-fisted about it and ended up buying a Hoover H-Free 100 for £99.99 and it has been brilliant. Just as good as our old Dyson, the only difference being it is slightly heavier.

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
After our Dyson gave up a year or so ago we looked at the market quite carefully and eventually bought the Bosch Flexxo Series 4
Very pleased.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I have a Dyson V8 which is great at what it does. It's very compact and well designed and sits nicely in it's charging dock in the cupboard. Really easy to clean, you can put the filters in the washing machine.

My only gripe with it is if you have it on high power mode the battery life isn't great (~10 mins). It's just about enough for what I use it for but I have had it run out of battery before. It does charge pretty quickly though. Believe standard mode is meant to be around 40 mins battery life.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Henry has it covered, I also have a Triton I use for work 2kw motor never blocks plenty of suction £49.99 from Screwfix.

Obviously not cordless but if you want the job done the dewalt cordless is decent although expensive. I use it for brick dust etc so does a job.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tried a G-Tech cordless. Incapable of picking up the lightest fluff, crumbs - well anything really. Sold the useless thing on Gumtree.

Bought a Dyson cordless. Basically a glorified carpet sweeper - the brushes go round and round, but it doesn't suck.

In desperation, went for a VAX (not cordless this time). Paid extra for an attachment with rotating brushes, especialy to deal with hairs - animal or human; fine, except the brushes don't go round. Does suck - a bit - but not hard enough to get particles all the way to the bag. You think it's hoovered up whatever you were trying to hoover up, but just find that it's deposited it in another part of the room!

Oh for a good old fashioned cylinder hoover, circa 1950. Could practically hang from the ceiling on its own suction power!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Still using the Miele I bought 20 years ago. Weighs a ton (tremendous for exercise) and has so much suction it can literally retrieve dust from the future.

£70 well spent. Looks like a replacement would cost me £500.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I have a Dyson V8 which is great at what it does. It's very compact and well designed and sits nicely in it's charging dock in the cupboard. Really easy to clean, you can put the filters in the washing machine.

My only gripe with it is if you have it on high power mode the battery life isn't great (~10 mins). It's just about enough for what I use it for but I have had it run out of battery before. It does charge pretty quickly though. Believe standard mode is meant to be around 40 mins battery life.

How long have you had it? I was full of praise for cordless on a similar thread a few years ago. Change your life and all that guff. Now our expensive Dyson stick is next to useless. On max power the battery lasts about 20-30 seconds. On normal we get about 5 mins. Dyson been predictably helpful on the battery issue. We still use it to whizz around one floor, but that's it. Now we have an upright corded shark (and a 16 year old kid to push it about)

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Still using the Miele I bought 20 years ago. Weighs a ton (tremendous for exercise) and has so much suction it can literally retrieve dust from the future.

£70 well spent. Looks like a replacement would cost me £500.

My wife made me get rid of my trusty Miele and get the Dyson I mention above - due to ease of use. Given she never hoovers I should have stood my ground. It was bullet-proof and on the one occasion it stopped working (after 5 years), they collected it, fixed it and returned it, for free, in a few days. Unbelievable quality and service.

boik

How long have you had it? I was full of praise for cordless on a similar thread a few years ago. Change your life and all that guff. Now our expensive Dyson stick is next to useless. On max power the battery lasts about 20-30 seconds. On normal we get about 5 mins. Dyson been predictably helpful on the battery issue. We still use it to whizz around one floor, but that's it. Now we have an upright corded shark (and a 16 year old kid to push it about)

It will work as normal with a new battery. Sounds exactly like ours. All batteries have a limited life, Dysons are no exception. Think ours lasted about 6 years before we go fed up with the limited run time and bought a new battery. Like new again now.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

It took me a while to work out why ours ran out so quickly!

Can usually do a complete 2 bedroom apartment on one charge.
It is very easy to use and good for the car interior too.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Got a shark upright which is great and a Hetty for "grubby" work such as cars and log burner etc

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

What's the going rate for them these days?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Coming up to 18 months. As I mentioned on max power it is just about enough for a quick run round my 3 bed bungalow which has hard floors throughout.

I'm pretty much cordless on everything these days having swallowed the cost of the initial outlay for batteries and charger from Makita. The only corded item I have in the garden now is my scarifier and it drives me crazy using it. Makita do make vacuums so that might be the way I go next if my Dyson suffers the same fate as yours.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre

Replace the battery with the longer lasting 5000mAh version, £39 on Amazon, 3 screws and 5 minutes to replace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here