Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 187 Goals in 2 games - possible match fixes perchance?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Match fixing is very common.

Here in Sweden, the police have said that they believe that about one in five games in the Swedish third tier are fixed (not necessarily result, but corners etc.). It is similar around the world, it is a problem basically everywhere except in England.

Incredibly difficult to do much about. The Western betting companies are more than willing to cooperate when it comes to these things, but the Asian betting markets are the wild wild west, completely unregulated and often run by largely anonymous crime syndicates.

Also hard to blame the players. When someone makes £0-£100 a month playing football and someone turns up and says "you get £10k if you do this", I struggle to blame them.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Match fixing is very common.

Here in Sweden, the police have said that they believe that about one in five games in the Swedish third tier are fixed (not necessarily result, but corners etc.). It is similar around the world, it is a problem basically everywhere except in England.

Incredibly difficult to do much about. The Western betting companies are more than willing to cooperate when it comes to these things, but the Asian betting markets are the wild wild west, completely unregulated and often run by largely anonymous crime syndicates.

Also hard to blame the players. When someone makes £0-£100 a month playing football and someone turns up and says "you get £10k if you do this", I struggle to blame them.

I don't agree. It's very easy to spot unusual betting patterns and that player who's given a load of corners away (especially if they've overhit 6 backpasses over the crossbar, which I guess is 2 or 3 more than normal in the lower Scando leagues) needs to be hauled into an interview room with an offer of amnesty if they give up whoever approached them. Agree that the far east firms themselves can't easily be got to

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don't agree. It's very easy to spot unusual betting patterns and that player who's given a load of corners away (especially if they've overhit 6 backpasses over the crossbar, which I guess is 2 or 3 more than normal in the lower Scando leagues) needs to be hauled into an interview room with an offer of amnesty if they give up whoever approached them. Agree that the far east firms themselves can't easily be got to

Any betting company with a license (we have some pretty strong betting laws and only approve some of the betting companies) to operate on the Swedish market needs to report suspicious activity. But when most of these crimes are made on some underground betting service in Hong Kong, it isn't possible to detect any patterns. And a player in the Swedish third or fourth division being massively shit really does not prove anything.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
2:0 at half time, they scored 93 goals in 45 minutes.
How?
Kick off, shoot, score, go get the ball, return to own half. But opposition then have to kick off so win the ball back before scoring again. That just seems impossible.
Is there video?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
How?
Kick off, shoot, score, go get the ball, return to own half. But opposition then have to kick off so win the ball back before scoring again. That just seems impossible.
Is there video?

Are you implying something fishy might have gone on? That seems ever so cynical. The (stand in...) manager of the team that lost 95 - 0 had this to say:

I'm not aware of any match manipulation but can't vouch for others," Jalloh told BBC Sport Africa.

"We conceded lots of goals in the second half. I was frustrated and at some point even left the touchline in anger. I wasn't concentrating afterwards, so I can't even tell how many goals we conceded in all.

"I'll never be part of match fixing.

"I'm calling on the football authorities to investigate both matches and bring to book anyone found wanting. And if nobody is found guilty of any crime then so be it."

That seems perfectly reasonable and I for one fully believe him.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Are you implying something fishy might have gone on? That seems ever so cynical. The (stand in...) manager of the team that lost 95 - 0 had this to say:

I'm not aware of any match manipulation but can't vouch for others," Jalloh told BBC Sport Africa.

"We conceded lots of goals in the second half. I was frustrated and at some point even left the touchline in anger. I wasn't concentrating afterwards, so I can't even tell how many goals we conceded in all.

"I'll never be part of match fixing.

"I'm calling on the football authorities to investigate both matches and bring to book anyone found wanting. And if nobody is found guilty of any crime then so be it."

That seems perfectly reasonable and I for one fully believe him.

I agree. And if the football authorities look into it, then there can be complete confidence it’ll be checked properly and all above board. The footballing powers have the utmost respect for high moral standards. Nothing to see here.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
How?
Is there video?

If there was a video you'd think it was on fast forward!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Maybe we should be looking at a few of the strikers that played in these games. Even with match fixing our mob would have still spooned it over the bar.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Kahunla were 2-0 up at halftime and went on to win 95-0. That means they scored 93 goals in 45 minutes - that’s a goal every 30 seconds! :mad:

Which sort of suggests it didn't actually happen.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
There were some in South Africa recently too. 41 own goals:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/africa/61732971

From that article; "authorities have lined up a series of workshops to educate coaches, officials and referees."

:lol: this is magnificent.

"Right lads, welcome to day one of the workshop, please help yourself to tea and biscuits. Our first topic will be why it's not okay to fix the outcome of sporting events in exchange for brown envelopes full of cash. Any questions? Yes, the chap at the back with the bandit mask holding the bag with a dollar sign on it"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here