Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 25yrs ago today since the Goldstone got knocked down

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Watching Wardy run through on the North goal knowing with absolute certainty that he would score and preparing myself to be picked up off my feet in the surge down the terrace.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Sunday 29th January 1984

FA Cup 4th Round

Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Liverpool 0

My abiding memory of the game was seeing fans still celebrating the 1st goal when the 2nd goal went in!

fayearbook.jpg

ryanconnor.jpg

liverpool1984v3.jpg

liverpool1984v4.jpg

A great write-up of the game on https://thegoldstonewrap.com/2014/01/28/its-a-seaside-knockout-ryan-wrecks-liverpools-day-out/.

Newspaper clippings from the game here: https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/1379

Attachments

• MatchTicket-1984-01-29-Brighton.jpeg
    MatchTicket-1984-01-29-Brighton.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 220

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Matey with the white coat on flogging crisps and stuff from his tray, moving the heavy metal half-time score numbers around to different letters.

The homemade wooden stool thing my Dad carried in with us so I could see, running on the pitch for the first time grabbing a sweaty Bobby Horton when we got promoted.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Sunday 29th January 1984

FA Cup 4th Round

My abiding memory of the game was seeing fans still celebrating the 1st goal when the 2nd goal went in!

View attachment 149382

View attachment 149383

View attachment 149384

View attachment 149385

A great write-up of the game on https://thegoldstonewrap.com/2014/01/28/its-a-seaside-knockout-ryan-wrecks-liverpools-day-out/.

Newspaper clippings from the game here: https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/1379

This as a match, I love how silence falls over the ground as Terry races through, and sheer joy of the second goal.

emotionally the last game cannot be beaten, I cried all the way home.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
The smell of liniment, cut grass and fag smoke when arriving for a night game in the North Stand.

My first game, Nelson scoring, Keeley saving and Rougvie battering Sunderland in a 3-1 win.

Bryan Wade in tears after his four goals against Newcastle.

Deano's free kick vs Ipswich and the Lions tamed in the subsequent play off semi-final.

Sitting on the bench with Barry Lloyd and the subs in an end of season 3-2 win vs Chester as part of a Save Our Seagulls auction prize.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Sunday 29th January 1984

FA Cup 4th Round

View attachment 149382

View attachment 149383

View attachment 149384

View attachment 149385

Gerry & Terry, great snap.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The smell of liniment, cut grass and fag smoke when arriving for a night game in the North Stand.

My first game, Nelson scoring, Keeley saving and Rougvie battering Sunderland in a 3-1 win.

Bryan Wade in tears after his four goals against Newcastle.

Deano's free kick vs Ipswich and the Lions tamed in the subsequent play off semi-final.

Sitting on the bench with Barry Lloyd and the subs in an end of season 3-2 win vs Chester as part of a Save Our Seagulls auction prize.

The acrid smell of a smelting works of some sort as you arrived at the ground, the seagulls chant walking under the bridge on the way out of the ground. So many great memories and some pretty exciting football

Tears after the Doncaster game

Taking Man City apart and John Bond being sacked the next day, getting managers sacked after they lose to #teamslikebrighton is still a thing too

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Corrugated metal players entrance in Newtown Road.
The slope.
Old North Stand roof.
Dodgy wooden bench seats in South Stand.
Tea hut on the terrace under the West Stand.
Half time scores boards around the perimeter at half time.
Fred the Argus
The supporters club guy with his oversized placard with the day’s lottery winners
The unfinished brickwork of the West Stand
Peeing in the dark
Bovril
Police box in Old Shoreham Road
Smell of Clark’s bakery
Blue and White shop by Fonthill Road tunnel

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's a bit like asking what's your favourite memory of your childhood home. Too hard to pick one out

Indeed. I can't really pick one, but beating Ipswich in the League Cup was brilliant. As was the final game of that season against Sheff Wed.

Going back to the Liverpool Cup game in 1984 one of my all time favourite photos - of anything - is one of Terry Connor in mid-celebratory leap just after he'd scored with his jubilation offsetting the miserable faces on the Liverpool players.

(Note to younger fans: This was back in the day when Brighton beating a top side was always a shock result).

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
It was a tip. Disgusting ground with horrible toilets, rotten food, dangerous terracing and open to the elements.
It was real football. Loved every minute of it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It was a tip. Disgusting ground with horrible toilets, rotten food, dangerous terracing and open to the elements.
It was real football. Loved every minute of it.

The terracing wasn't dangerous, just some of the people on it.

bits did crumble off from time to time. I still have a chunk

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Couple of memories come to mind.

3-3 v Liverpool in the rain with no roof on the North Stand, at the end the Brighton fans sang "3-1 down and we drew 3 all, doodah, doodah".

(FA?) Cup game v Fulham when they were in the third division (league below us), IIRC they went 1-0 up and their fans were going bonkers, giving it large etc. as you would expect. Brighton fans started chanting "What division, What division, What division are you in?" to which their perfect response was, "In the Third, In the Third, In the Third".

We never did have the best, or most well thought out, chants did we? Still nothing beats "We are the Falmer, Wanters".

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The first international game at the Goldstone.

Wardy scored a hat-trick on international debut as England u21s beat Norway 6-0.

The fans that night exceeded capacity by quite some way I'd guess.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Beating York 7-2 on the Saturday and then Walsall 7-0 midweek.

Got VFM in those days :albion2:

and a few boos at half time when it was 0-0 against Walsall if memory serves

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Corrugated metal players entrance in Newtown Road.
The slope.
Old North Stand roof.
Dodgy wooden bench seats in South Stand.
Tea hut on the terrace under the West Stand.
Half time scores boards around the perimeter at half time.
Fred the Argus
The supporters club guy with his oversized placard with the day’s lottery winners
The unfinished brickwork of the West Stand
Peeing in the dark
Bovril
Police box in Old Shoreham Road
Smell of Clark’s bakery
Blue and White shop by Fonthill Road tunnel

All of those memories, plus my own, make me realise how much going to a football match has changed over the past quarter of a century.

Do l prefer the old full fat, or the new more sanitised version? . . . I'm honestly not sure is the answer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here