Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Safe standing

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
[/B]
Well said. I haven't been to an away match for years because I fall in to that category. The last was a joyless game at Southend when lairy Albion fans bullied and threatened my wife and son away from our seats and frankly made the afternoon a miserable experience. Suporting the same team made no difference. They just wanted trouble. Never again.
Southend Away ???

It has been a long time since you went to an away game then !!

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not sure it would help. If you're going to an away game and want to sit you need to buy seats at the very front of allocated blocks. Even if they introduced safe seating in parts of away allocations you may still end up getting a standing space if all the seated options are sold out!

As for not wanting to stand nor be at the front, then maybe away games aren't for you. Perhaps you expect clubs to provide you with a comfortable armchair in the part of the ground that is of your choosing!!

It amazes me that some people can’t or refuse to consider other peoples perspectives.

Saying that, years ago, in the days of open terraces, I’d want to be standing and singing. When I did that at away games, there was always an allocation of seats for away fans and I wondered why people chose that option, so I guess I do see why it happens, really. I never denied those supporters their right to choose, though.

As for telling me that away games aren’t for me if I wish to sit in a stadium whose regulations and safety certificate say you have to sit, well…… maybe you’re right. Or just selfish.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It amazes me that some people can’t or refuse to consider other peoples perspectives.

Saying that, years ago, in the days of open terraces, I’d want to be standing and singing. When I did that at away games, there was always an allocation of seats for away fans and I wondered why people chose that option, so I guess I do see why it happens, really. I never denied those supporters their right to choose, though.

As for telling me that away games aren’t for me if I wish to sit in a stadium whose regulations and safety certificate say you have to sit, well…… maybe you’re right. Or just selfish.
Why selfish?

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing

Well said sully , i must admit i now find it more difficult to stand for a whole game and that coupled with the fact i am quite short and inevitably find the chap in front of me is 6' 6" makes watching the match at some away games problematic . Last season as i was buying my ticket for watford away i noticed a section at the front left of the away allocation that said it was strictly for people who wanted to sit so i purchased my ticket there . Of course come the actual day and most of those in front of me stood the whole game !
So now i try to buy seats at the front of a section and although it is not always possible when it is on a first come first serve basis i do the best i can .

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Telling me that away games aren’t for me when I’ve done over 60 of the current league stadiums. Thinking that people who want to sit should be denied that option in an all seater stadium. Do you need more?

You misunderstood. I was saying why away games aren't for ME, not anyone else. I was saying that people who want to sit should NOT be denied that option.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why selfish?

I'm not being selfish, just telling you how it is. You dont want to stand and you dont want a seat at the front! Who's being selfish? You don't want to sit at the front yet you dont want to stand. Now who's being selfish?

Last edited:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So in your world nobody should be allowed to stand in the north stand.

That’s not what I said. People go in the North stand knowing that most people stand. We see it every game, so it’s easy to choose not to get a ticket in there if we want to sit.

That choice doesn’t exist for away games, because a large number choose to stand regardless.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You misunderstood. I was saying why away games aren't for ME, not anyone else. I was saying that people who want to sit should NOT be denied that option.

I wasn’t replying to anything you said! My comment was in reply to drew, who replied to a post from me saying away games weren’t for me.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm not being selfish, just telling you how it is. You dont want to stand and you dont want a seat at the front! Who's being selfish? You don't want to sit at the front yet you dont want to stand. Now who's being selfish?

I know how it is, so I choose not to go to away games as much as I’d like to because there isn’t a choice. I’m asking for everyone to be accommodated. How is that selfish?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why selfish?

I know how it is, so I choose not to go to away games as much as I’d like to because there isn’t a choice. I’m asking for everyone to be accommodated. How is that selfish?

You could go and sit by getting seats at the front of a block but that doesn't appear to interest you. You are pretty much stating that because you want to sit exactly where you want then everyone else has to sit to accommodate you.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why selfish?

That’s not what I said. People go in the North stand knowing that most people stand. We see it every game, so it’s easy to choose not to get a ticket in there if we want to sit.

That choice doesn’t exist for away games, because a large number choose to stand regardless.
Not necessarily, some people chose the north because it's the cheapest. Besides, I got the impression you were complaining that in an 'all seater' stadium the rules should be applied so that those wishing to sit can do so and it therefore follows that if you think it should apply to away fans then it should apply to home ones as well!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You could go and sit by getting seats at the front of a block but that doesn't appear to interest you. You are pretty much stating that because you want to sit exactly where you want then everyone else has to sit to accommodate you.

I do.

In the meantime, you need to stop assuming you know what I’ve written and try reading the words.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
My last experience of away game with Albion fans was Charlton. Mostly because of my height saw very little of goalmouth action in front of us including Albion goal by Ince. Will now only go to away games if can get seats through contacts in home end. Does take some of enjoyment away but at least see all of the game.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I do.

In the meantime, you need to stop assuming you know what I’ve written and try reading the words.

Apart from missing the but where you do go to some games not sure what I've missed?

In reality it would be night on impossible to satisfy everyone. If there were seats available there is no guarantee there would be enough to satisfy demand and if there weren't enough standing for those that want to stand then those getting seats but wanted stand will still do so.

Last edited:

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I’ll give my standard reply for the 100th time.

The ship has sailed for me, “safe” standing seems pointless, allocated standing spaces behind an individual rail. When I was a kid it was the “unsafe” element that made it attractive. (I mean no disrespect to the 97 when I say this) the young uns on here go on about “”limbs” but come on, you’ve all seen the celebrations at Hereford and Google Norwich 83 or indeed any match between about 1975~81 and you’ll see “limbs”
I’ll always vote for it and hope it happens but I’m at the age I’ll stay in the East thanks

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Apart from missing the but where you do go to some games not sure what I've missed?

In reality it would be night on impossible to satisfy everyone. If there were seats available there is no guarantee there would be enough to satisfy demand and if there weren't enough standing for those that want to stand then those getting seats but wanted stand will still do so.

I’ll try one more time for you and then I’m out of here.

I said that the away ends are where safe standing areas should go first.

My reasoning for this is that we all know where people stand and are tolerated in the home ends, so there’s not a need there.

It is a bit of an assumption that all those who go to away games want to stand. I don’t know what proportion would sit if they could and it may be a small percentage, so make most of the away end standing but also provide space for those who want to sit. I don’t care if this is the front, back or side, I just don’t want someone standing in front of me for the whole game.

Hopefully, you can comprehend this beyond “I don’t care as I can stand where I like already”.

I have not once said I want to sit in a specific place or that others shouldn’t stand, but you have stated that I’ve said both.

If specific areas are provided for standing, then there’s no excuse for standing in the seated areas. If there’s insufficient room in the standing areas, that doesn’t mean anyone can stand elsewhere. It works fine in Germany, so I fail to see what people can’t get their heads round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here