Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Steve Wright Ageism Row

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
U.K. time.

Very good station. Something of an institution in Seattle. Well, literally an institution. You can go and visit the station, tours, music museum, library, coffee shop etc

They put on great on air live performances etc.

I really rate it.

Thanks. I recall it from visits to the kids in Washington.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Was stuck in a car one long friday afternoonwith someone who had apparently glued the stereo setttings to radio 2. He kept banging on about serious jockin all through his show, which turned out to be some terrible inept wedding disco style section where he continued to talk over the records. Utter shite

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The point is, if you don't like a radio personality, there are alternative ways to listen to the music of your chosing - and have been for many decades.

Yes I know what your point was. I'm just making my point in a vaguely amusing way: that Steve Wright and Chris Tarrant were and still are absolute dogshit.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I must confess I quite liked him and the ‘characters’/impressions he had on in olden times.

I seem to recall before he and Mike Read joined R1 they had a show on local radio(Reading) called Read and Wright!. There was a lot less to choose from in the Dark Ages. I too remember Arnold!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
What? No more "Serious Jockin"?

How will I cope?

Is there a phone number I can call?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Didn't the Chuckle Brothers vouch for him?

That was probably the final nail in his coffin.....but you're the expert :wink:

Hope you're enjoying the sunshine :thumbsup:

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Steve Wright was a cheerleader for Margaret Thatcher ( and Ronald Reagan) back in the '80s.

To be fair to him he has adapted to different eras,
meaning he's survived this long.
Q
He must be someone with a finger on where the UK mainstream is at any one time.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I always find it odd when DJ's go from Radio 1 to Radio 2 given Radio 1 is seemingly for kids who are about 12 and Radio 2 is for the 80 plus bracket. Both stations are akin to fingernails down a blackboard.

Scott Mills show on Radio 5 is an absolute travesty especially in the Danny Baker slot akin to replacing Sanchez with Graeme Smith. No personality or humour but somehow better than Steve Wright.

I spend most of the time listening to the Times radio but there is only so much chatter one can listen to about the Northern Ireland protocol before one questions themselves if they have become the dullest person on earth.

Bring back Kerrang radio.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
“You can always change the station”

Yea, we are all aware, we are not braindead. We are also allowed to give an opinion. And it’s fun to have a dig. As my dear old Nan says “if you’ve got nothing nice to say…come and sit next to me” :)

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
ITV currently have got Peter Purves and Trisha Goddard debating about Steve Wright getting binned at 67 after 27 years on Radio 2 in favour of Scott Mills.

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end, Wrighty has had an excellent run, I’m old enough to remember him joining Radio One from Radio Luxembourg in 1980.

It’s not ageism, it’s change, which has to happen, otherwise we’d all still be waking up listening to the Hairy Cornflake. :lol:

At the ripe old age of 56. I still think I have at least a quarter of a century in front of me, before I contemplate listening to Radio 2 or buying clothes from Marks and Spencer, so I am probably not best qualified to comment on this thread (not sure that has ever been an issue on NSC though). Has there ever been a DJ less passionate about music? I guess there are a lot of people who enjoy listening to SW waffling on, but not for me, thanks.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Brilliant! :lolol:

I think I would like her!

Ha! One couldn’t help but like her mate. 96 yrs old. Moved to Australia 3 years ago to be near my Aunty, still walks out every day to watch the Kangaroos in her local park, goes to the theatre, steam train rides. I miss the bones of her but she wanted to live out her final years in the sun. Fair play. She’s one of life’s good uns.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
At the ripe old age of 56. I still think I have at least a quarter of a century in front of me, before I contemplate listening to Radio 2 or buying clothes from Marks and Spencer, so I am probably not best qualified to comment on this thread (not sure that has ever been an issue on NSC though). Has there ever been a DJ less passionate about music? I guess there are a lot of people who enjoy listening to SW waffling on, but not for me, thanks.

Hey! I have some lovely chino’s from M&S!

Yeah, SW is an odd chap. As you say, he appears to have no passion for music (not that that is required for R2 daytime dj’’s) yet according to an article I read, he is utterly obsessed with presenting.
He files out to NY, gets a hotel room, shuts himself away for a week at a time listening to loads of US radio stations. Living off room service and snacks. Doesn’t answer the phone or emails etc.
apparently he does this on every holiday from R2. He’s fixated on them. His strange, hermit like ways have lead to a breakdown in relations with family, especially his son.

I don’t know the man, but there is something very odd about him. Frankly, he gives me the creeps but that’s solely my opinion.

Either way, a very bland and dispassionate radio broadcaster. Knob jockey Mallet without the “personality” :)

Edit; forgot T1mmy comes up as Timmy :)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Was stuck in a car one long friday afternoonwith someone who had apparently glued the stereo setttings to radio 2. He kept banging on about serious jockin all through his show, which turned out to be some terrible inept wedding disco style section where he continued to talk over the records. Utter shite

I’ve never had a major problem with Steve Wright, but have to agree that the serious jockin’ thing is embarrassing. He just doesn’t do it very well or, to put it another way, does it badly.

Scott Mills comes from up this way - Eastleigh. Am not an expert, though, on his media performances. Radio 6 or Jazz FM when Mrs DiS isn’t listening to f@%&ing Talk radio - LBC or 5Live - both of which I normally find fairly tedious.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Serious whingin' (no g)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

Hey! I have some lovely chino’s from M&S!

Yeah, SW is an odd chap. As you say, he appears to have no passion for music (not that that is required for R2 daytime dj’’s) yet according to an article I read, he is utterly obsessed with presenting.
He files out to NY, gets a hotel room, shuts himself away for a week at a time listening to loads of US radio stations. Living off room service and snacks. Doesn’t answer the phone or emails etc.
apparently he does this on every holiday from R2. He’s fixated on them. His strange, hermit like ways have lead to a breakdown in relations with family, especially his son.

I don’t know the man, but there is something very odd about him. Frankly, he gives me the creeps but that’s solely my opinion.

Either way, a very bland and dispassionate radio broadcaster. Knob jockey Mallet without the “personality” :)

Edit; forgot T1mmy comes up as Timmy :)

Agreed one can get some decent stuff in M&S. their stuff has improved enormously over the years. Some of it is too obviously M&S though.

And I didn’t know that stuff about Steve Wright. A strange sort of obsession.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Agreed one can get some decent stuff in M&S. their stuff has improved enormously over the years. Some of it is too obviously M&S though.

And I didn’t know that stuff about Steve Wright. A strange sort of obsession.

For work basics and smarter casual stuff, Marks is very useful and great customer service. I like the cafe too.

Oh dear. It’s happening isn’t it :drool::lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
According to The Mirror. Who to be fair, seem somewhat obsessed with the man ;

“And they say instructions given by producers to broadcasting assistants to make sure the station’s star DJs are taken care of tell their own story.

One colleague says a typical instruction for when Steve starts work each day would begin with the words: “I’ve one piece of advice: just get the meals right! F*** the rest up, but just get that right and you’re sailing.”

The insider goes on: “Assistants are told to get Steve’s breakfast and lunch, and other things he might want including arrangements for his visits to his mum.

“After a list of production tasks, they will be told about Steve’s ‘feeders’, his favourite restaurant takeaways.”

Detailing his food desires, the colleague says assistants are told: “The producer will ring you when Steve gets in to come to get his order. He’ll tell you what he wants for both feedings and will give you money.”

For breakfast, he usually asks for poached or scrambled eggs on brown toast from a restaurant called Avelli’s, porridge from Make Mine or Eat, a small bacon or sausage butty with ketchup from Eat and a skinny latte with one sweetener.

For lunch, he insists on a baked potato from Avelli’s or chilli chicken box from Leon’s or he may opt for a chicken pie from Eat.

Steve asks for his lunch at precisely 1.30pm and the broadcasting assistant is instructed to “lay out Steve’s food on the white cabinet in his studio”. A BBC source said: “Steve’s eating habits have become stuff of legend at the Beeb. Staff have to follow a strict routine with him and he hates it when the broadcasting assistants get it wrong”.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here