Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Steve Wright Ageism Row

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
ITV currently have got Peter Purves and Trisha Goddard debating about Steve Wright getting binned at 67 after 27 years on Radio 2 in favour of Scott Mills.

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end, Wrighty has had an excellent run, I’m old enough to remember him joining Radio One from Radio Luxembourg in 1980.

It’s not ageism, it’s change, which has to happen, otherwise we’d all still be waking up listening to the Hairy Cornflake. :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Steve Wright leaving Radio 2.

Does that mean we have to do our own whooping and cheering from now on?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
ITV currently have got Peter Purves and Trisha Goddard debating about Steve Wright getting binned at 67 after 27 years on Radio 2 in favour of Scott Mills.

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end, Wrighty has had an excellent run, I’m old enough to remember him joining Radio One from Radio Luxembourg in 1980.

It’s not ageism, it’s change, which has to happen, otherwise we’d all still be waking up listening to the Hairy Cornflake. :lol:

Agree, change is always a good thing.
Scott Mills will certainly give R2 an injection of humour and personality :thumbsup:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I still fail to understand why radio DJs are important. Announce the track, give a sentence or two of relevant information, and otherwise shut up.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I still fail to understand why radio DJs are important. Announce the track, give a sentence or two of relevant information, and otherwise shut up.

I agree.
Whatever you do don’t listen to Absolute Radio, in the morning and late afternoon they seem to have 2 blokes having ‘banter’ :wrong: with each other between the shite adverts, they do play a song occasionally :)
Radio X is very similar.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009

Entirely agree. Mind you, we've all been mystified in our household how somebody who probably peaked in the 80s has continued to have a prime Radio 2 spot for so long. Age has nothing to do with it. So a cheery farewell from our household :wave:

As has been said, Ken Bruce is still going strong at 71 and long may he continue.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Unlikely, given his convictions for sexual assault.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It's the music that matters for me. Radio 2 has over the years become ever more so bland playing all the mainstream Wallpaper music of the likes of Coldplay, Ed (snooze) Sheeran, James Blunt, Harry Styles, interspersed every now and again with some Don Henley, Bruce Hornsby, or Adelle etc etc etc.

I don't really care who the DJ's are as long as the music is varied and not bland. 6 Music is not perfect either, but it is certainly the best for music variety and more interesting bands.

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Entirely agree. Mind you, we've all been mystified in our household how somebody who probably peaked in the 80s has continued to have a prime Radio 2 spot for so long. Age has nothing to do with it. So a cheery farewell from our household :wave:

As has been said, Ken Bruce is still going strong at 71 and long may he continue.

I agree.
I got bored with Steve Wright years ago, but Ken Bruce is excellent and my wife is a Popmaster addict, so, whether in the car or at home, I have to shut up at 10.30 am.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What is the story here ?

He's being booted out at the statutory pension age ?

I have no problems with such a policy. My company allows staff to work on after retirement age, but they won't see me for dust after I reach 67.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Only ever bother with 6 Music and Radio 4.

Steve Wright used to annoy the bejesus out of me when I was a Radio 1 listening teenager. Oh, so your name is Steve Wright, you're on in the afternoon and you've just cracked a "funny". F**k. Off.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Scott Mills is possibly the worst DJ on radio

When he stands in for Ken, I cannot and will not listen. Not even to PopMaster, which is the best quiz or even the best thing on the radio. I mean the Steve Wright show is a pile of sh*te, the “big show”, yeah right you big headed ****. But it’s still better than anything fake Scott Mills could come up with. Personally I’d like to parachute him in to Isis terrority, we’ll see what use his witty repartee is then.

Anyone want to launch a 24 hour quiz radio station, by the way? I’d listen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here