Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Fuel price protests set for M54 and M6 today with hundreds expected to join

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Around 200 drivers in vans, trucks and cars are expected to gather and form a convoy at Junction 4 of the M54 in Telford, while more protesters are due to take to the M6 at Junction 3 for Coventry and Nuneaton.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news...d-m6-tomorrow-with-hundreds-expected-to-join/

Would I be right in thinking these guys can expect some serious prison time?

And the drivers on this thread are equally appalled by such a protest

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?390306-Insulate-Britain-protests

:lolol:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
shame we got rid of the thumbs down button.
You really think these are comparable.
Its not just drivers that are affected.
But guess you know this and just trolling.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Playing the man and not the ball, as usual.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
This is like something out of the Simpsons. They want everyone to get in their cars and drive around?

Surely a better protest would be to get on a train or bicycle.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Of course they're comparable. Its not just Insulate Britain-protesters that are affected by the destruction of the environment either.

Will be interesting to see if those labelling actions against petrol companies as "terrorism" and the upward licking class that have issues with strikes and protests will also feel the same way about this protest. If not, it is quite clear that they were just opposing other protests for 100% selfish reasons.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
We are paying for COVID, furlough, bounce back loans (fraud?) etc, the ‘men in grey suits’ sat down and worked out what was the quickest way to get the extra tax back in, on a daily basis, just tax a product we all need and use.

Prices are roughly the same in both Spain and France so clearly their Governments had the same idea.

I read somewhere the other week on 21st June 2008 crude oil was $133 a barrel and unleaded was £119.9 at the UK pumps, on 21st June this year crude oil was $119 a barrel, perhaps there’s your answer?

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Around 200 drivers in vans, trucks and cars are expected to gather and form a convoy at Junction 4 of the M54 in Telford, while more protesters are due to take to the M6 at Junction 3 for Coventry and Nuneaton.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news...d-m6-tomorrow-with-hundreds-expected-to-join/

Would I be right in thinking these guys can expect some serious prison time?

And the drivers on this thread are equally appalled by such a protest

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?390306-Insulate-Britain-protests

:lolol:

If they prevent the free flow of the emergency services, yes they should do prison time………I’m sure you would agree deliberately setting out to prevent emergency services from getting to and from emergencies is a crime that should be treated seriously.

For deterrence alone.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I read somewhere the other week on 21st June 2008 crude oil was the $133 a barrel and unleaded was £119.9 at the UK pumps, on 21st June this year crude oil was $119 a barrel, perhaps there’s your answer?

Assuming your figures are correct, the conversation rate on 21 June was $1.97 to the pound; currently it's $1.21. So a barrel was £67 in 2008 and £98 now - roughly a third more. Taking inflation into account, unleaded would be £157 - add a third to that and the price now should be about £2.10 a litre. The government has held back fuel duty and cut it - which is why it's cheaper now than in 2008

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Assuming your figures are correct, the conversation rate on 21 June was $1.97 to the pound; currently it's $1.21. So a barrel was £67 in 2008 and £98 now - roughly a third more. Taking inflation into account, unleaded would be £157 - add a third to that and the price now should be about £2.10 a litre. The government has held back fuel duty and cut it - which is why it's cheaper now than in 2008

Thank you Ms Vorderman I bow to your superior knowledge.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Didn't they do all this last year? Supergluing themselves to the M25 and whatnot.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is like something out of the Simpsons. They want everyone to get in their cars and drive around?

Surely a better protest would be to get on a train or bicycle.

Your food delivery to local shops and supermarkets won't be arriving on a train or bicycle. Supermarkets and shops pass on their fuel costs to the customers which is why prices are going up by 20p and more for each item.

The price per barrel is cheaper now than a few years ago, but oil is bought in dollars and the £ is very weak.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Didn't they do all this last year? Supergluing themselves to the M25 and whatnot.

That was climate change people who don't like petrol/diesel. These are people that love petrol/diesel as they rely on it for their livelihood but don't like paying nearly double what they paid just a few years ago. Fairly understandable I would I thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here