Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Peter Brook - RIP

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One of the great theatre and film directors of our time has died aged 97.

Brook was a revolutionary director, eschewing elaborate sets and trendy gimmicks to tell a story. His version of King Lear (starring well known Old Varndeanian Paul Scofield) is an unremitting depiction of the tragedy. He followed that with Marat/Sade, giving Glenda Jackson her first major role.

He gave us an adaption of Indian epic The Mahabharata, shown on TV in the 70s and drew on stories from all over the world in the later stages of his career. I never made it the Bouffes du Nord to see one of his productions in his Parisian home but did see his version of The Grand Inquisitor when it came to Brighton during the Festival about 18 years ago.

What a visionary he was

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Do you mean Paul Scofield?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Also wrote and directed the film version of "Lord of the Flies", which is probably the work of his which most people will be familiar with.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
We had a school outing to see his groundbreaking Midsummer Nights Dream at the Aldwych in 71, when I was 12. It was amazing and gave us a new perspective on Shakespeare.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We had a school outing to see his groundbreaking Midsummer Nights Dream at the Aldwych in 71, when I was 12. It was amazing and gave us a new perspective on Shakespeare.

I'm so envious of that - I never got to see it. Probably the Shakespearean production I most regret missing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here