Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ronaldo tells Manchester United he wants to leave

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Would need a season or two at USG to see if he's any good

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I pondered this when we played them. I don't think I would have taken any of their starting 11. Not to say they don't have better players but de Gea is the only one I could make a case for. Obviously a great keeper but now we are established in the PL, short termism isn't for us. We have a much younger Spanish international. Ronaldo wouldn't fit in our way of playing - no luxury passengers for us and I am in the camp that thinks Utd were worse with him. They tried to mould a team around him rather than fit him into their style. Mata is quality but we have our old head in Lallana. Bruno is similar to Ronaldo - not a team player.

And the rest of their 11 were just meh.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would need a season or two at USG to see if he's any good

Before the finishing touches at Stoke.

Only then might be be ready for t'AMEX.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
“I knew Ronaldo would get a lot of goals for Utd but would make them a worse team”. Carragher.

You need 10 players on the pitch doing a lot of running to neutralise GP’s Brighton team. Manure had about 7 players willing to put in the miles. We obliterated them.

There is no room for static players under GP, no matter how good their shooting. Just one ‘passenger’ could destroy our whole system. He needs to play for a big club in a league that is a lot less competitive than the EPL. Perhaps Celtic?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I pondered this when we played them. I don't think I would have taken any of their starting 11. Not to say they don't have better players but de Gea is the only one I could make a case for. Obviously a great keeper but now we are established in the PL, short termism isn't for us. We have a much younger Spanish international. Ronaldo wouldn't fit in our way of playing - no luxury passengers for us and I am in the camp that thinks Utd were worse with him. They tried to mould a team around him rather than fit him into their style. Mata is quality but we have our old head in Lallana. Bruno is similar to Ronaldo - not a team player.

And the rest of their 11 were just meh.

The mystery around Man U last season wasn't that they only finished sixth but that they managed, somehow, to finish that high. How on earth did that squad with those coaches win 16 games? Somehow, I think they won quite a few by simply being The Great Manchester United Football Club (including the undeserved win against us up there when we should have been out of sight in the first half). A fair bit of that aura is down to Ronaldo. If he scored and put them in front then it dropped the heads of better opponents.

Of their whole squad last season I'd probably take Rashford and Sancho who would both be far better footballers away from OT. Their defence is comic, midfield pedestrian, Fernandes a luxury player and Cavani along for the ride.

Last season they overachieved and it will be interesting to see what Ten Haag can do with them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They will be a better team without Ronaldo. Like Villa with Grealish and Albion with Vicente you will not get better if you keep looking to give the ball to one player every time you attack.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
They will be a better team without Ronaldo. Like Villa with Grealish and Albion with Vicente you will not get better if you keep looking to give the ball to one player every time you attack.

Vicente didn't play enough for us to do that and often picked the ball up deep and drove us forward when he did. Agree on Ronaldo though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
least surprising news in football, thought he'd gone to Roma already.

he'd be a lot better in our team, as they dont seem to function together well, where as we do but lack the incisive finishing.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
least surprising news in football, thought he'd gone to Roma already.

he'd be a lot better in our team, as they dont seem to function together well, where as we do but lack the incisive finishing.

As if Potter would have a player who stands with his hands on his hips and sulks when things aren’t going well and doesn’t track back

As if he’d even agree to come here too!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The thing with Ronnie is that shirt sales alone would pay his wages along with sponsorship. We wouldn't sell any more seats as most home games are sellouts but those with tickets may turn up. But no, wouldn't take him.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Last season they overachieved and it will be interesting to see what Ten Haag can do with them.

If they overachieved last season, what did they do the season before that when they finished in second place? They lost zero important players between 20/21 and 21/22.

They have some decent players. Just need to play 11 of them instead of the 10 they play with when Ronaldo is on the pitch.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
If they overachieved last season, what did they do the season before that when they finished in second place? They lost zero important players between 20/21 and 21/22.

They have some decent players. Just need to play 11 of them instead of the 10 they play with when Ronaldo is on the pitch.

Well, I said those players with those coaches. Trying to play the German Press with Ronaldo and Fernandes in the team is idiotic. And Solskjaer didn't seem to have many tactics at all.

Maguire still seems to get picked for England but God knows how, he's lost all respect in this country from the fans, De Gea is a very decent keeper but I think I'd rather have one for the future like Sanchez who can play in the modern style and then we come to the fact that Lindelof has been exposed time and again by quite average sides, Wan-Bisaka has gone backwards, Dalot is TERRIBLE for a Premier League footballer and they seem to have ruined Varane. I wouldn't have any one of Matic, McTominay or Fred over Mwepu, Bissouma (yes I know he's left) and Caicedo, Pogba has skills but his attitude stinks and he plays maybe one game in ten properly and Mata is probably their equivalent of Lallana.

Ronaldo, meanwhile, scored 18 goals in the league and 24 all told in the season with the likes of what I've described above behind him and a coach who wanted him to play like some kind of Firmino. Remove those goals from their total and you'd pretty much have Leeds.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Vicente didn't play enough for us to do that and often picked the ball up deep and drove us forward when he did. Agree on Ronaldo though.

I have memories of players actively looking to pass to him when he did play :shrug: ( can’t blame them in fairness)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here