Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Derestricting a 50cc scooter

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I have acquired a 50cc Vespa and am looking for someone to derestrict it for me.

Any motorcycle mechanics on here want to earn themselves a few quid ??

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I have acquired a 50cc Vespa and am looking for someone to derestrict it for me.

Any motorcycle mechanics on here want to earn themselves a few quid ??

It’s a 50cc, why would you actually bother? Just sell it and get a 125.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don't even know [MENTION=263]zefarelly[/MENTION] but from his posts on here I reckon he'd pay to do it and probably work naked.

:lolol:
He must be busy today and will be disappointed that someone has started a thread about scooters and he’s not seen it.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I used to have a Vespa 50 when I was 16 (1987 gulp!) I got another 10 mph out of it by changing the exhaust (Fresco) and adding larger jets into the carb. Not sure if that is even a thing for the modern models.

boik

Depends on the age of the car licence I think. But if the 50cc is derestricted then the rules will have changed anyway.

Surely if you derestrict it then your insurance will be completely invalid. Get involved in a nasty accident and you will be paying for it for the rest of your life. Friend of mine had refusal to pay out on insurance because he had changed the wheels and hadn't informed them.

Each to their own I guess.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I used to have a Vespa 50 when I was 16 (1987 gulp!) I got another 10 mph out of it by changing the exhaust (Fresco) and adding larger jets into the carb. Not sure if that is even a thing for the modern models.

Mee too . . .lasted a month and got a vespa 100, registered as a 50.

Some of the old vespas were restricted with a strangulation plate between the engine and carburettor . . . . Simply remove it and hey presto 38 mph!

As with cars I don't do modern toss, but most 2 strokes respond to a proper exhaust /expansion chamber. Most restrictions are simply to liit the breathing.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Surely if you derestrict it then your insurance will be completely invalid. Get involved in a nasty accident and you will be paying for it for the rest of your life. Friend of mine had refusal to pay out on insurance because he had changed the wheels and hadn't informed them.

Each to their own I guess.

Well let's face it, it doesn't take much for any insurance company to wriggle out of paying anything.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I'm pretty sure You can only ride a 50cc on a older car licence ?

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Not sure what the rules are on riding a derestricted scoot, but definitely worth taking your bike test/ CBT. Will probably make insurance cheaper, gives you so many more choices of bikes/ scooters as well as teaching you how to ride safely which could save your life.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Had a derestricted 50cc Yahama back in the day. Think it was bored out to 63cc, actually. It used to do 60mph. Pretty naughty for a 16yo...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here