Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Do you pay more than the basic rate of Income Tax?

Do you pay a higher rate of Income Tax?

• Yes

Votes: 61 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 48 44.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
No, not a Monopoly question, do you earn over the HMRC threshold for an increased rate of income tax?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61996117

Higher rate taxpayers paying 40% earn £43,663 or over in Scotland and £50,271 in England, Northern Ireland and Wales. They do not pay tax on the first £12,570 of earnings covered by the personal allowance.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No, I've bubbled under the threshold since 2009.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Is the OP working for HMRC?

No, just a bit nosey :) (see post #2)

I suspect a lot of us down South were likely either already there or have been dragged into the higher brackets.

Poll results are not public.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
6.1m higher rate payers, about 25% of workers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION] does

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Yes, have two jobs (self employment plus PAYE for my Hourly Paid Lectureship at a London University) plus a Pension from my time working in the Chemical Industry which is also taxed of course - something I find repellent as I paid income tax the first time around.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
a Pension from my time working in the Chemical Industry which is also taxed of course - something I find repellent as I paid income tax the first time around.

Your pension contributions would have either been provided tax-free by your employer, or you would have received tax relief on your personal contributions (within varying limits). There shouldn't be any double taxation.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Luckily my employer makes sure that I pay an incredibly small amount of Income Tax...just £75.80 of my next pay packet goes in tax.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Luckily my employer makes sure that I pay an incredibly small amount of Income Tax...just £75.80 of my next pay packet goes in tax.

solution there is a new job.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Not any more. I've gone from a high-earner to someone who would probably be better off delivering for Just Eat... :glare:

All part of the rich tapestry of life though. I'll be back. :D

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
solution there is a new job.

Ha Ha, yes, of course it is ! The official Tory " How To Beat Poverty " answer ! And I have tried too but there are not too many openings for a 62 year old bloke these days. Two years ago I almost made it to the interview at the Blood Transfusion Service, thats as close as I got to an annual wage of £21K. Maybe I should get a second job on the checkouts at Morrisons then ? Or, follow Gavin Williamson's lead ? :rotlf:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here