Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mohamed Camara

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
To my knowledge, we didn't sign him, he was already at the Academy ?

We signed him at the age of 16 , after he was released by Southampton.
Your point here - being what exactly though ? Investing in young players and a academy that uses loans as part of that development isn't paying off ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Up
14 of the 20 most played players last season did not cost £15m and were either free transfers, developed through the academy and a series of loans or bought for c£5m and sent out on loan >> Lamptey, Alzate, Caicedo, Sanchez, Moder, Dunk, March, MacAllister, Gross, Welbeck , Veltman, Lallana, Duffy, and Dan Burn. Only 6 did - Cucurella, Webster, Trossard, Bissouma, Mwepu and Maupay. And of that 6 - all were in the early 20s or younger and had no PL experience.
And Ben White who we sold for £50m last season didn't cost £15m either.
I said players that clearly stood out ie Cucurella who was voted POTS.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
UpI said players that clearly stood out ie Cucurella who was voted POTS.

Yes. Cucurella is one player who cost nearly £15m. And has stood out. Agreed.

Doesn’t apply to White, Lamptey, Moder, caicedo, Mac Allister, Sanchez , Alzate who have also clearly stood out and didn’t cost £15m. But maybe you say they shouldn’t count here. (7 regular first team players! But hey. ).

Or is it just that our player of the season “stood out”? And costs “about £15m” - In which case Ben White was POTS and cost nothing.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields

Doesn’t apply to White, Lamptey, Moder, caicedo, Mac Allister, Sanchez , Alzate who have also clearly stood out and didn’t cost £15m. But maybe you say they shouldn’t count here. (7 regular first team players! But hey. ).

Or is it just that our player of the season “stood out”? And costs “about £15m” - In which case Ben White was POTS and cost nothing.

Would you say Bissouma stood out?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

You obviously didn’t read my post and jumped straight in on the defensive. It wasn’t a post attacking anything more of an observation about last seasons eleven, but do carry on listing the full 25 man squad and players that have left the club.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Funny how our latest signing has already been shipped out to USG, for good reasons. Are we allowed to post about it?

What Are we allowed to post about?

Seems you're really struggling to understand that people having a different opinion than yours does not disallow you from posting your own opinion.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Would you say Bissouma stood out?

Of course. i was just debating what the OP means by "Most of our stand out players cost £15m" . Sanchez, MacAllister, Caicedo all had great seasons last year and didn't. And "the model argument isn't descriptive of the first team"..of course it depends what you mean by "the model" but I'd say it is.
Yes. Albion is a team with a healthy crop of young players who have gone directly into the first team that have cost decent fees (, Webster, Cucurella, Mwepu, Maupay) all with no PL experience mind you, some players bought relatively cheaply who have gone out on loan and then eased into the first team (Mac Allister, Moder, Caicedo, Sanchez) and some experienced players who have cost relatively little/free transfers (Veltman, Welbeck, Lallana) and some really exciting players who have cost relatively little and gone straight into the first team via the u23s (Lamptey, Sarmiento) . Thats the model. Thats the first team. Not sure there's much mileage in arguing that its not. But hey.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
You obviously didn’t read my post and jumped straight in on the defensive. It wasn’t a post attacking anything more of an observation about last seasons eleven, but do carry on listing the full 25 man squad and players that have left the club.

I did read your post. You said "most of our stand out players cost £15m". I agree some of them did - fair enough. Trossard, Bissouma, Cucurella had great seasons - but some of them didn't. And you said "the model argument isn't descriptive of the first team" . I disagree. If you defiine it by the 20 players who had the most minutes last season which i think is a fair way of defining it but you might argue otherwise. And then you argued Lamptey and Moder didn't count in this definition which i didn't quite understand and Alexis MacAllister who cost £7m is part of a list of players who you argue cost c£15m. And i mentioned Ben White because its reflective of the model but yes he has left the club. For £50m and he didn't cost £15m. He cost nothing.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I did read your post. You said "most of our stand out players cost £15m". I agree some of them did but some of them didn't. And you said "the model argument isn't descriptive of the first team" . I disagree. If you defiine it by the 20 players who had the most minutes last season which i think is a fair way of defining it but you might argue otherwise. And then you argued Lamptey and Moder didn't count in this definition which i didn't quite understand and Alexis MacAllister who cost £7m is part of a list of players who you argue cost c£15m.

Good luck trying to get some basic logic through to Justice and frankworthington. They're pretty immune.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

This is more of a question of you being unable to row back on what you said rather than [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] being defensive.

In terms of anything referencing an XI, 18 players started 12 Premier League games or more. Only 4 started more than 30 games. 21 players made 5 or more appearances in the PL. 15 players made 20 or more PL appearances. Your argument only works at the exclusion of players that made significant contributions last season that you seem to just flippantly dismiss as just listing the squad - a squad of whom 18 of them started a 1/3rd of the games!

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
2vdri1.gif

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This model argument isn’t really descriptive of the first team, most of our stand out players cost around £15m, Including the now departed Bissouma we have Trossard, Webster, Cucurella, Maupay, Enoch, Macalister, the rest are made up of plenty of experience players, Welbeck, Veltman, Lallana, Dunk. The only one recently that has worked is Caicedo. Lamptey was always a quality player we got for a bargain and Moder came straight into the first team when he arrived.
Maybe Mitoma will be the next although on average we have paid good money for most of the first team.

Well, as no-one's mentioned it, I will: Ali J and DJ Jurgen cost about £15m :jester:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
14 of the 20 most played players last season did not cost £15m and were either free transfers, developed through the academy and a series of loans or bought for c£5m and sent out on loan >> Lamptey, Alzate, Caicedo, Sanchez, Moder, Dunk, March, MacAllister, Gross, Welbeck , Veltman, Lallana, Duffy, and Dan Burn. Only 6 did - Cucurella, Webster, Trossard, Bissouma, Mwepu and Maupay. And of that 6 - all were in the early 20s or younger and had no PL experience.
And Ben White who we sold for £50m last season didn't cost £15m either.
The six you named that did cost ~£15 are the same six as he named (plus he mistakenly added Mac Allister, who apparantly 'only' cost around £10M)! Not quite 'most', agreed, but a fairly substantial proportion, which could potentially (and maybe did) make up more than half (ie most) of the team on a particuar occasion.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The six you named that did cost ~£15 are the same six as he named (plus he mistakenly added Mac Allister, who apparantly 'only' cost around £10M)! Not quite 'most', agreed, but a fairly substantial proportion, which could potentially (and maybe did) make up more than half (ie most) of the team on a particuar occasion.

Ha! Yes I think we furiously agree really but it’s that loanees , and young punts are also making a substantial contribution too. Which I think the OP was being unfairly sceptical about .
PS I think Mac Allister was £6.9m according to some reports.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here