Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Dame Deborah James.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Very sad. To face her illness with such bravery and openness, whilst also raising awareness, money and, importantly, a few smiles was truly something to admire. RIP. I hope she’s at peace now she’s out of pain.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
First thought was, who? Never heard of her - in which case I would have stayed clear of this thread. But Googled it (as I usually do) - so RIP. Before your time, and condolences to friends and family.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A truly inspirational woman. RIP.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It’s genuinely awful, sad, sad news. She faced her illness with bravery, courage. even humour at times ... truly inspiring.

Rest in peace.

Life is so cruel and often short, through work recently I met someone who I expected to be working with over the coming months delivering a series of projects... a week after we met, he sadly died suddenly... quite sobering, incredibly sad.

Enjoy every good moment, they are truly precious.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My wife who was diagnosed with bowel cancer just over two years ago has followed her blogs and found her to be an astonishing woman. She has been a beacon on many a dark dark night to many people… RIP Dame Deborah James.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Sad that she didn’t recognise the symptoms but she has done wonders giving others the benefit of her experience. I was lucky as once I saw blood in my stools I was straight down the quack’s and fortunate that a locum who had recent had some time at the RSCH saw me. A bowel resection within two weeks thankfully sorted me out and saved my life.
Check your shit, every time. You know it makes scents.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Genuinely inspirational.

I’ve always listened to 5live a lot so knew first of Rachael Bland, one of the co-presenters when those three brave women started the You, Me and the Big C podcast. She seemed to take the whole issue of raising bowel cancer awareness to a whole new level and those videos where her personality(and sexiness) took the issues to a whole new level were ground-breaking.

What a fantastic example to all of us of battling adversity as hard as you can - RIP to a real star of this century imo

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
RIP to a truly inspirational person.

Coincidentally I received a kit through the post without asking last week. Not keen on that sort of pooh-sticks and would probably have ignored it without this sad news being highlighted.

Now it finds itself warm and snug in the post box for return after completion.

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
My wife was diagnosed with Stage 4 Bowel Cancer in 2013 - Before Dame Deborah came to prominence.

Yesterday was like losing a family member. It's difficult to explain the impact she had on her and many others.

It's not often someone gets referred to with such fondness, but she was one of the goodun's. I for one had a few tears in my eyes. She will be sorely missed.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Yes, this.

Bowel cancer, if caught early is one of the easiest to cure. Blood in your poo, or changes in bowel movements (constipation/diarrhea) should always be investigated - more often than not it will be piles or something.

I had ulcerative colitis for years, had many colonoscopies - not pleasant but easy to have. Totally worth checking your insides. As it happens, one such procedure spotted a largish polyp -that could have gone onto form a tumour. Removed.

Ive also had colleagues who have either ignored the blood in their poo or changes to bowel movements, or have not visited their GP because they are too busy. Only to find cancer when its too late

Get yourself checked if anything concerns you. Also, do the over 56 poo test and pop it in the post. It might just save your life

Sad that she didn’t recognise the symptoms but she has done wonders giving others the benefit of her experience. I was lucky as once I saw blood in my stools I was straight down the quack’s and fortunate that a locum who had recent had some time at the RSCH saw me. A bowel resection within two weeks thankfully sorted me out and saved my life.
Check your shit, every time. You know it makes scents.

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
I forgot to add. I am effing lucky that my wife is miraculously still with me! That's not because of my charm I might add.

So as others have said. Don't wait to get checked. The earlier the better. Dame Deborah has been amazing in promoting awareness.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here