Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Timpson’s boss reveals another perk…..do you get any?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
:) not driving at anything ….just passing on a bit of info that doesn’t seem to have been widely shared….an interesting employer who it appears looks after their staff

He also employs ex prisoners to give them a fresh start in life. Very few reoffend.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I've yet to walk into any Timpson and deal with miserable staff. They're a great company who treat their staff well and as mentioned recruit people who need a leg up in life.

Whenever I need keys cut or shoes re-heeling or re-soling I always go to them as a matter of course. They go about their business treating staff well pretty quietly - it's just the press who shout about it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've yet to walk into any Timpson and deal with miserable staff. They're a great company who treat their staff well and as mentioned recruit people who need a leg up in life.

Whenever I need keys cut or shoes re-heeling or re-soling I always go to them as a matter of course. They go about their business treating staff well pretty quietly - it's just the press who shout about it.

One of the people quoted in that article mentions exactly the same thing

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

I recently took a pair of leather walking boots into one of their shops as some of the stitching had started to perish. The guy working there admitted straight up that he was relatively new to the job and hadn’t attempted a repair like that before but would see what he could do.

The next day he phoned me to say he’d shared a picture of my boot on the WhatsApp group he’s on with other branches and the old boy in the Cambridge store reckoned he could do it. So he’d taken the boot round to the Cambridge store (about 15 miles away) in his own time as he lives out that way and would pick it up when it was done and give me a call.

What a top bloke and brilliant customer service. I go through no end of polish for my son’s various pairs of coloured football boots plus my walking boots. I wouldnt go anywhere else for my supplies and repairs, ever.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe they'd all like better pay and conditions - most people at the lower end of the pay spectrum would - but if an employer is trying to treat his staff a little better in a way the business can afford (and if just whacking up their wages isn't viable), well, that's something in his favour, shirley?

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
7BB6FF4B-8F0A-40BF-A18C-0B893390D516.jpeg

From the article in the link……..can’t please everyone that doesn’t work there :lolol:

theboybilly

Blimey this thread. It reminds me of the time I dropped my missus off at Sainsbury's at West Hove before taking a neighbour to the dentist in Portslade. Once we attempted to go back to West Hove the car wouldn't start. I rang my missus who by this time was picking up shoes that had been repaired at Timpsons. The bloke in there overheard the conversation, asked the problem and 15 minutes later was down with jump leads etc. It didn't work but, undeterred, our hero knew where to go and a few minutes later had rustled up a mechanic from a nearby garage to get us going (and later to Halfords) What a top man that Timpsons fella was. We went back and gave him £20 for his trouble. He saved me a world of trouble that day. I had no idea what to do once the jump leads didn't work

Last edited:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
They're a great company and he's a good genuine chap. Employing offenders, running training programmes in prisons etc, fostering kids. Staff also have discretion on charging and their accounts team estimated recently as many as 1 in 8 jobs are done for free because the staff judge the circumstances of the individuals needing something warrant it (mostly for pensioners I believe). Their dry cleaning does it for free for anyone unemployed going for an interview (they'll also shine shoes) and they've got a warehouse of suits and shirts that have been uncollected or donated that people can ask to borrow for interviews too. As a family they're involved in work to repurpose failing high streets for community benefit as well - just all round one of the best companies in the country, quietly going about their work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here