Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cav

CAV

CAV

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
We are heading over to see the leg between Calais and Dunkirk, looking forward to picking up my free French detergents from the caravan!

Well I enjoyed the day watching in Northern France, found a nice spot to park ourselves but got to say I didn’t find the locals particularly friendly - when we tried to ‘improve’ our view I heard a lot of new French words I fortunately didn’t understand, then there were lots of bratty kids only interested in the freebies - literally fighting each other for them - and all forked off by the time the bikes came past, then some old bat tried to pinch our English flag that was tied to a couple of posts!

Nice day, great weather, lovely scenery - but lots of buts! I can only imagine what it is like in the really popular areas!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Love it when the commentators get the race winner wrong.

With 600m to go, Sean Kelly said it was done and dusted, Powless has won. It was obvious the other 3 were in a good position.

I watched on ITV4. Ned Boulting clearly knows cycle racing better than Sean Kelly does.

What a crazy stage. I’ve cycled the Paris Roubaix sportive and can confirm that racing on the pavé is madness. Roglic gone - Pogacar has won Le Tour already.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I watched on ITV4. Ned Boulting clearly knows cycle racing better than Sean Kelly does.

What a crazy stage. I’ve cycled the Paris Roubaix sportive and can confirm that racing on the pavé is madness. Roglic gone - Pogacar has won Le Tour already.

Extra padded shorts for the cobbles?

Nothing against Pogacar at all, but his supremacy may prove a bore for me. The 5 Indurain years were a bit shit for me. I love two or three genuine contenders going into both the Pyrenees and Alps. The saving grace for me last year was Cav.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Nothing against Pogacar at all, but his supremacy may prove a bore for me. The 5 Indurain years were a bit shit for me. I love two or three genuine contenders going into both the Pyrenees and Alps. The saving grace for me last year was Cav.

I’m the same and felt a bit gutted Pogacar was doing well as it pretty much dooms the Tour to not being so exciting.

That said it was a great stage which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m the same and felt a bit gutted Pogacar was doing well as it pretty much dooms the Tour to not being so exciting.

That said it was a great stage which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I’m going to enjoy the incredible scenery/spectacle and get into the individual daily races.

Whilst praying that genuine contenders will emerge asap.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Ned Boulting clearly knows cycle racing better than Sean Kelly does.

I've always thought Kelly can call a race better than anyone, admittedly he ballsed up today's final few seconds (might not have appreciated the final drag), but generally his racecraft and nouse shows.

Boulting is a JCL, albeit a very well read and enthusiastic one.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've always thought Kelly can call a race better than anyone, admittedly he ballsed up today's final few seconds (might not have appreciated the final drag), but generally his racecraft and nouse shows.

Kelly is also a true legend.

From 10:30

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Extra padding would certainly have been a bonus...though it's the hands and forearms that really suffer. I had horrendous blisters!

Agree 100% about Pogacar. This has all the makings of a procession, and I will lose interest in the racing very quickly.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

I should have put an emoji.

I assumed that it was clear that I was joking. I love Ned, but Sean Kelly is an absolute legend of the sport, who has insights that Ned knows he'll never have.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Agree on the Pogacar sentiment. He’s clearly a prodigious talent, and I love seeing him race - I just wish there was someone else to give him a run for his money.

On another note, does anyone else feel that Froome being there is a waste of a slot for some new rider.

Froome should have bowed out a champion, instead I fear he’ll do nothing. Will we see him in a break or working for someone else? Is he there because he thinks he can win a stage.

It’s all a bit embarrassing. Like seeing your dad out clubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1544778212085059584[/tweet]

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agree on the Pogacar sentiment. He’s clearly a prodigious talent, and I love seeing him race - I just wish there was someone else to give him a run for his money.

On another note, does anyone else feel that Froome being there is a waste of a slot for some new rider.

Froome should have bowed out a champion, instead I fear he’ll do nothing. Will we see him in a break or working for someone else? Is he there because he thinks he can win a stage.

It’s all a bit embarrassing. Like seeing your dad out clubbing.

Well, Froome isn’t the oldest in that team and they just got a stage win for 35 year old Clarke, and also 37 year old Fugslang isn’t sat too bad in GC. Personally after his horror crash great to see the 7 time grand tour winner back in a grand tour. I’m sure as Cav experienced, if someone younger rider is faster they’d be in in his place. Let’s see if he has any form in the mountains, but may well be riding for Fugslang.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here