Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Wimbledon 2022

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Currently in Premier inn Wimbledon moaning about the weather for opening day. On the plus side we're on centre court so guaranteed some play but for first ever experience really wanted a nice day. My golden age of Wimbledon was Borg, McEnroe etc but experience to be done and this was from the 2020 Wimbledon ballot

For those that have been before any handy tips to enjoy the day?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Expecting Nick Kyrgios and his partner to break lots on conventions but win the Wimbledon crowd over, and go on to have a good crack at the mens doubles title. Not sure that the traditionalists will like it though!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Currently in Premier inn Wimbledon moaning about the weather for opening day. On the plus side we're on centre court so guaranteed some play but for first ever experience really wanted a nice day. My golden age of Wimbledon was Borg, McEnroe etc but experience to be done and this was from the 2020 Wimbledon ballot

All I'd recommend is stay to the end of the day and watch some of the games (I love mixed doubles aswell as the singles) on the smaller courts too. Tennis at dusk is a personal highlight for me. Too many people come to see a couple of big names/games at Wimbledon and then fook off home early, glory hunting eejets. There seem quite a few tennis (and Wimbledon in particular) haters on here but I love it. It''s a great game to show character. Unlike many sports it ain't over until it's over, a losing player doesn't run out of time, can turn it around even when facing match point and many matches swing wildly back and forth. You'll have a great time (especially if you bring your own grub and avoid the steep prices). Always worth buying a towel in the shop too for the year you go, a great memento. Been many times now but have to say I thoroughly enjoyed Tuesday at Eastbourne this year, which was fantastic value for money (£28 for Court 2 and ground pass).

I've bet on a double with Nadal / Jabeur, plus some e/ws on Kerber, Bencic, Kvitova as it's a bit of a free for all under Swiatek and any one of those 3 could reach the final imho. Cressy in the mens is also a great watch on grass if you like old school 80s serve and volley, he could unsettle a few.

Last edited:

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Anybody going ? Do you watch it ? Who will win it this year ? Strawberries & cream sir ?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Love it,

Have got Centre Court tickets for quarter finals next Tuesday - will be my 30th visit.

Weird year, could be the final year for many like Murray, Rafa, Serena. Djokovic is a ridiculous 4/5 to win the mens and Swiatek’s form is sensational. Have a few brits hitting some form so could see 5 or 6 in round 3 although I fear Emma will fall in round 1

Roll on 11 o clock

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Leaving home soon.

Centre Court tickets for today, originally from the ballot for 2020.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Limited number of tennis fans on here I appreciate, but Wimbledon on a sunny day, there is no better ‘in the flesh’ sporting experience you can get imho, walking around between the courts, the ivy-clad buildings, watching matches up close on smaller courts, standing within feet of players on court, lunch and drinks on the hill, bring your own booze, walking the snooty environs of SW19 with hundreds of other pilgrims on your approach to the venue, marvelling at the money it must cost to live around there etc. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it, tennis fan or not.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
While I used to enjoy a bit of Wimbledon with back-to-back men's test matches, a women's test match in between, the Tour De France and the rugby summer tours starting this weekend and Glasto to catch up on I'm not sure I'll watch any.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Going next week on the Wednesday. I would like to say a big thank you to 'The Not Forgotten Association' for a pair of tickets. They have been supporting Veterans since 1920 and do a brilliant job. Centre court and afternoon tea included. Will be staying till the bitter end to make the most of such a great opportunity.

Not a massive tennis fan but like all sport in general, will be a great experience and day out, really looking forward to it.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Love Wimbledon, a fortnight where Britain goes absolutely batshit crazy for tennis.

Not long now until we hear the immortal words from Sue Barker on Centre Court........................'here they come, get ready for the roar!'

We had the privilege of going on Court One pre pandemic with our good friends Polly and Giles and we had a quite superb day, the atmosphere was absolutely electric.

Saw the queues of people at 7am this morning who camped out and they were having an absolute hoot.

Last edited:

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Limited number of tennis fans on here I appreciate, but Wimbledon on a sunny day, there is no better ‘in the flesh’ sporting experience you can get imho, walking around between the courts, the ivy-clad buildings, watching matches up close on smaller courts, standing within feet of players on court, lunch and drinks on the hill, bring your own booze, walking the snooty environs of SW19 with hundreds of other pilgrims on your approach to the venue, marvelling at the money it must cost to live around there etc. Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it, tennis fan or not.

As a self confessed fair weather tennis fan (I’d only watch Wimbledon and generally only when a Brit is involved) I managed to grab quarter final tickets on centre court a few years back and saw Murray and Djokovic with both their matches. The atmosphere walking round was really special. It’s a sporting event that I always say you’ve got to do it at least once in your life - although hopefully I’ll get to do it more than once.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The All England Championships

As a self confessed fair weather tennis fan (I’d only watch Wimbledon and generally only when a Brit is involved) I managed to grab quarter final tickets on centre court a few years back and saw Murray and Djokovic with both their matches. The atmosphere walking round was really special. It’s a sporting event that I always say you’ve got to do it at least once in your life - although hopefully I’ll get to do it more than once.

Here's hoping Emma and Andy can do the business for us today on Centre.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Never been but my wife is addicted and over the years I have come to enjoy it. Wimbledon is the peak for me, tennis on grass is much more skilful in my opinion and so much more attractive to the eye than red or blue clay court baseline whacking. I am no expert but yeah I love it.

Just not Djokovic again please. I have very low expectations for all the Brits, glorious failure beckons all round I think.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The beautifully dimpled Jodie Burrage dispatched on Court 18 early on, but she did administer some first aid to a stricken ball child! Lucky them.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Love Wimbledon, a fortnight where Britain goes absolutely batshit crazy for tennis.

Not long now until we hear the immortal words from Sue Barker on Centre Court........................'here they come, get ready for the roar!'

We had the privilege of going on Court One pre pandemic with our good friends Polly and Giles and we had a quite superb day, the atmosphere was absolutely electric.

Saw the queues of people at 7am this morning who camped out and they were having an absolute hoot.

Really? The whole of Britain goes batshit crazy for a sport where a ticket will cost you upwards of £250 and don't get me started on the price of strawberries.

I think most of Britain will be asking "why are the BBC plastering all channels with endless coverage of bloody tennis?"

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Really? The whole of Britain goes batshit crazy for a sport where a ticket will cost you upwards of £250 and don't get me started on the price of strawberries.

I think most of Britain will be asking "why are the BBC plastering all channels with endless coverage of bloody tennis?"

Not sure where you're getting your tickets from.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton

Not sure you’ve seen a Crodo post before….
Not sure which Wimbledon tickets cost you £250?…

Not even sure where you got expensive strawberries from

Odd

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

£2.50 for a punnet with cream freshly picked that very morning is outstanding value.

Ground Pass Costs
Days 1 - 8 £27
Days 10, 11 & 12 £20
Days 12 & 13 £15
Last Day £8

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here