Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Interesting or Famous Ancestors

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I'm struggling badly so here's my dubious contribution. In first instance more notorious than famous and second ridiculous trivia.

I had a cousin Brian who made the inside page of the News of the World in the mid 70's for his fraud surrounding 60's teen idol singer Bobby Vee ( Take Good Care of My Baby, Rubber Ball, The Night Has a Thousand Eyes). Cousin Brian was a bit of a charmer, good looking, and critically he could actually sing a bit. Story goes that somehow on his way to Ireland on a ferry he got mistaken for Bobby Vee and decided to go with it. Wined and dined all free and put up gratis in the best Dublin hotel. Having milked it for 2 days he was finally rumbled and when the police were called he tried to make his escape in a car under the influence of a few beers. He crashed the car but thankfully nobody was hurt. Unfortunately, this old family story misses out what punishment he got. The tale does have a happy ending in that years later he turned his scallywag ways to the advantage of himself and others by becoming a successful addictive behaviours counsellor in the Worthing area.

My black silver tabby British Shorthair cat has a great grandfather who was used in Whiskas' tv adverts!

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Well my lot are just bunch of sheep herders from Essex it seems. Only tentative and indirect claim to fame is my half brother's mother (my stepmother) is the widow (before she met my dad!) of Bernard Herrmann. Any of you that know anything about Hollywood film music will know who i am talking about.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Discovered today that I have an ancestor from around the end of the 18th C who was called rather ignominiously William Cocke.:ffsparr:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My grandad was awarded the Military Medal. I wasn’t close to him when he died, which is lucky for me because he stepped on a landmine.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I’ve a few good ones, as we got lucky tracing our family tree. My oldest blood ancestor we’ve traced is Conan 1st of Britanny circa 950, his son Conan 2nd is on the Bayeux Tapestry. I’m also a direct descendant of Geoffrey De Cheetham circa 1350. I could go on in but it gets a bit boring, apart from Queen Elizabeth.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Grandmothers cousin , born London in poverty , left for the United States after a spell in the merchant navy , achieved fame in Hollywood and co founded Universal Studios before having his work permit revoked after being investigated by the FBI for allegedly being a communist .Passed away Christmas day 1977 at his home in Switzerland . RIP

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I’ve a few good ones, as we got lucky tracing our family tree. My oldest blood ancestor we’ve traced is Conan 1st of Britanny circa 950, his son Conan 2nd is on the Bayeux Tapestry. I’m also a direct descendant of Geoffrey De Cheetham circa 1350. I could go on in but it gets a bit boring, apart from Queen Elizabeth.

:D

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm struggling badly so here's my dubious contribution. In first instance more notorious than famous and second ridiculous trivia.

I had a cousin Brian who made the inside page of the News of the World in the mid 70's for his fraud surrounding 60's teen idol singer Bobby Vee ( Take Good Care of My Baby, Rubber Ball, The Night Has a Thousand Eyes). Cousin Brian was a bit of a charmer, good looking, and critically he could actually sing a bit. Story goes that somehow on his way to Ireland on a ferry he got mistaken for Bobby Vee and decided to go with it. Wined and dined all free and put up gratis in the best Dublin hotel. Having milked it for 2 days he was finally rumbled and when the police were called he tried to make his escape in a car under the influence of a few beers. He crashed the car but thankfully nobody was hurt. Unfortunately, this old family story misses out what punishment he got. The tale does have a happy ending in that years later he turned his scallywag ways to the advantage of himself and others by becoming a successful addictive behaviours counsellor in the Worthing area.

My black silver tabby British Shorthair cat has a great grandfather who was used in Whiskas' tv adverts!

Brilliant story! And yes, Pets included. I managed to get mine onto a Supermarket product when I worked for them. And my Auntie in laws had several gernations of Westies that were in TV ads too. The most famous members in my family tree are Dogs seemingly :facepalm:

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Has a hospital in Peterborough named after...

Not any more… it was demolished for some new houses. The Edith Cavell Centre is part of Peterborough City Hospital and looks after people with mental health problems.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I have a pretty notorious ancestor.

Jenny Geddes is alleged to have thrown a stool at the head of the minister in St Giles' Cathedral, Edinburgh in objection to the first public use of the Church of Scotland's 1637 edition of the Book of Common Prayer in Scotland. The ensuing riots led to the first conflict in the English Civil Wars, Charles I losing his head and Oliver Cromwell coming to power.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here