Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Interesting or Famous Ancestors

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My grand dad was interesting. East end docker, fought in the Boer War, ended up as landlord of a pub near London Bridge and chairman of the licenced victuallers association. Had two kids, and then 20 and 22 years later another two kids (same wife). If that man didn't have Aspergers, I'm a ****ing bananna :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My great (x20? or whatever number) grandfather was the librettist for Handel. Altogether now - “Hallelujah!” :rock:

That’ll be Isaiah, then………

P.S:….. and I do realise bits of the Messiah were taken from Isaiah and will have been edited or adapted. It was tongue in cheek.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
After researching my family tree, I discovered most of my relatives still lived in it!
So no, to my knowledge, nobody noteworthy

Well, for the famous there must be the ordinary and I’m rowing in the same boat. Giggling at the thought future generations on “Who do you think you are” 2158 will be told about excel and PowerPoint skills.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
On my Dads side, absolutely nobody interesting at all . Just good old Sussex farming stock going back to the 15th century.

On my Mums side, a long distance cousin, was Mayor of Croydon.

The shame of it.

She also had a cousin who died on HMS Hood.

Being able to trace that far back is impressive in itself though.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
James Best, the American actor, is a distant cousin of mine.

He played Roscoe in Dukes of Hazzard.

Some say it's not surprising...

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
James Best, the American actor, is a distant cousin of mine.

He played Roscoe in Dukes of Hazzard.

Some say it's not surprising...

Love this too! Ros.Co.Pee.Co.Traine!! coo coo!!

el punal

That’ll be Isaiah, then………

P.S:….. and I do realise bits of the Messiah were taken from Isaiah and will have been edited or adapted. It was tongue in cheek.

Very good! :thumbsup:

My great (x20?!) grandfather was a close friend of Handel and helped him financially with his works throughout his life as well as being his librettist.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Using the information my grandfather left me and ancestry I have managed to trace some interesting folk, my grandmothers grandad came over from the Frankfurt region in around 1850 and setlled in London, he had the usual 8 kids and they all ended up running pubs in Camden, Kentish Town, The Blue Bells in Soho and various others in the mainly North London, one of my ancestors died literally 100 yards away from our old flat in a pub called the "Roman Ciizen" it had been converted into flats by the time we lived there, but spooky.

The furtherst back my grandad traced and has an old book with all the family members etc printed in 1890 something and he says we are related to Ralph de Pomeroy who came over with William the Conqueror in the cavalry which for his services he was rewarded 58 manors in Devon and 2 manors in Somerset, Berry Pomery has a castle that we visited several times.

The furthest back I have got with direct lineage on my grandmothers side, no uncles or aunties counted, just parents is Harold I ‘the White’ King of Bornholm Bjornsson born the 5th June 1170 (king did not mean king, i think it means local chieftain"

Then down too Erik I King Frondhølm, King of Rügen Bjornsson born5 Sep 1251 Arhus, Denmark

Then one of his decedents Augustinia Frondhølm Princess born July 19 1452 Isle of Rügen, Germany married Cosimo Severucci King of Elba who died Aug 3rd 1507 Severucci Palace, Porto Azzurro, Elba, Italy, their daughter married Owain ap Rhydderch Gruffydd from a famous family in Welsh history.

Several generations later Sir Thomas Robinson Of rokeby died at Leeds castle 1643 after a battle.

There are several other Sirs and Earls, but I have check and verify if really connected, through time the family has fought in wars, been diluted, wealth lost and gained, I take it all with a big pinch of salt, but one thing I do get out of this is we all come from a foreign land so far I predominately, Scandinavian, Norman (French) German, Swiss, Welsh, Russian, and various Baltic States, and a smidge of Italian.

It is very very interesting though

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
We have a few they include

Wellington’s Iberian campaigns
Two Ambassadors
Fairly important role during one European revolution

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
On my Mothers side I have generations of coal-stained Welsh miners going back (or down) as far as we can see. Go back far enough and you'll probably find they came from King Wydlhmn, ruler of a small area of bog just north of Cardiff.

On my Fathers side, my Grandmother's Uncle was this man - who played football for England!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Geldard

Aside from this, after doing a 123&Me DNA test, I am 100% Northern European. Pure as the driven snow. My family name is of French descent, and apparently the first ancestors came over with William the Conqueror waving their swords and arrows and looking for some cheap property.

*Oh - and the 123 Test also revealed I don't have any kids I don't know about, which was a relief as I was a prolific shagger from 18-25... :moo:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
On my Mothers side I have generations of coal-stained Welsh miners going back (or down) as far as we can see. Go back far enough and you'll probably find they came from King Wydlhmn, ruler of a small area of bog just north of Cardiff.

On my Fathers side, my Grandmother's Uncle was this man - who played football for England!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Geldard

Aside from this, after doing a 123&Me DNA test, I am 100% Northern European. Pure as the driven snow. My family name is of French descent, and apparently the first ancestors came over with William the Conqueror waving their swords and arrows and looking for some cheap property.

*Oh - and the 123 Test also revealed I don't have any kids I don't know about, which was a relief as I was a prolific shagger from 18-25... :moo:

No guarantee you don’t have kids that haven’t tested yet, of course…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here