Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Interesting or Famous Ancestors

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
On my Dads side, absolutely nobody interesting at all . Just good old Sussex farming stock going back to the 15th century.

On my Mums side, a long distance cousin, was Mayor of Croydon.

The shame of it.

She also had a cousin who died on HMS Hood.
And my uncle was on HMS Prince Of Wales which managed to evade Bismarck’s guns after it had sunk Hood, only then to be sunk by the Japanese (but he survived).

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
That was brilliant :lolol:

Indeed, A&M have provided some of my top all time sketches.

I must 'thank' the OP for sending me down the rabbit hole of ancestry, must remember to cancel free trials! In seriousness, its been quite interesting - I'm the oldest member of my linear family (at 51) by about 30 years so having not worked out that it may be interesting to talk to my mother & sister and/or grandparents about the past until it was too late so this has fired me up to find out more.....

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Maybe an interesting story, with some current context:
My Grandfather served in a small Royal Navy Air Service (RNAS) unit sent to assist our then Tzarist Russian allies along the Eastern front during WW1, where he was credited with the first shooting down of an (enemy) aircraft - from a vehicle. This incident was somewhere in what is now western Ukraine or north east Rumania. They were there for 2 years until the Revolution when the Red faction turned against them, So, they were not only fighting against the Germans & Austrians but also looking over their shoulders at their supposed allies. He never really spoke about it in detail but I have subsequently discovered accounts in a few reference books and am in contact with other interested descendants. Inevitably, a number of British men were lost or wounded, including my Grandfather, for which they received Tzarist gallantry awards (now in my possession). However, they were forbidden from wearing them on their return, as they were now 'enemy' decorations... The War Office did not like the RNAS conducting land campaigns often hundreds of miles inland, so they were then transferred into the Army and later redeployed to the Middle East and back into the Caucasus. He served in the RAF in WW2 - so all three services.

I wonder what he would make of the current situation in Ukraine...

Oh, and he later applied for a civilian job at the Atomic Research Labs at Aldermaston - but was declined. He always suspected that his brief time serving in Russia was held against him.

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
My great Grandad worked for Fullers and apparently invented the chocolate orange before Terrys bought out the company he worked for.

And one of my other grandparents was a illegitimate child from one of the Colmans directors.

My grandad also had an affair with a very famous actor.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No the brand has had somewhat a chequered past. Worn by the famous but went through a horrible stage with a certain fraternity.

Burberry? Gannex?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I may have posted this before. A mate of mine is of Central East African descent, and we were chatting about ancestors one evening in a bar. I mentioned I knew little of my family history. I asked Sam if he'd traced his ancestry back far. 'Oh yes', he said. 'All the way to Lucy'.

:lolol:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I may have posted this before. A mate of mine is of Central East African descent, and we were chatting about ancestors one evening in a bar. I mentioned I knew little of my family history. I asked Sam if he'd traced his ancestry back far. 'Oh yes', he said. 'All the way to Lucy'.

:lolol:

Wow! He's related to Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
On my mother's side of the family in the 1600s was Captain Nicholas Tettersell who helped the future king Charles II escape to France from Shoreham in the coal ship 'The Surprise'. When Charles was crowned King a few years later Captain Tettersell changed the boat's name to 'The Royal Escape'. In later years Captain Tettersell became High Constable of Brighton and bought The Old Ship Inn on Brighton seafront. In the 80s I actually went into the the now named Hotel to have a look at his portrait handing up in one of the bars. Here is the inscription on his tomb:
The inscription reads: "Captain Nicholas Tettersell, through whose prudence, valour and loyalty Charles the Second King of England and after he had escaped the sword of his merciless rebels and his fforces received a fatall overthrow at Worcester Sept 3 1651 was ffaithfully preserved and conveyed into Ffrance, departed this life the 26th. day of July 1674. Approved ffaith honour and loyalty, In this cold clay he hath now tane up his station, At once preserved ye church the Crowne and nation, When Charles ye Greate was nothing but a breath, This valiant soule slept between him and death, Usurpers threats nor tyrant rebells froune, Could not affraight his duty to the Crowne, Which glorious Act of his for Church and State, Eight Princes in one day doth Gratulate, Professing all to him in debt to bee, As all the World are to his Memory, Since each could not reward his worth have given, Hee now receivest from the King of Heaven, In the same chest one jewell more you have, The partener of his vertues bed and grave. Susanna his wife, who decesed ye 1th. day of May 1679, To whose pioiis memory and his owne honour Nicholas, theire only Son and heir, inheriter of his Ffathers virtues, hath payd his last duty in this monument 1676. Here also lyeth interred the body of Captain Nicholas Tettersell, his son, who departed this life the fourth of the calends of October 1701 in the 57th. year of his age."

Thanks for that! I have tried to read it several times at St Nicholas Church but it is so weathered now as to be almost illegible.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Thanks for that! I have tried to read it several times at St Nicholas Church but it is so weathered now as to be almost illegible.
Are you interested in capt Nick Tettersell or just Brighton's history.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
My granddad bred the first ever Dutch Rabbits.
They're the ones that are white at the front half and black at the back half and have black face and ears.
Not very exciting now but enough to make Pathe News in the Cinemas back then (I'm reliably informed!).
I have a photo of them.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
My mums cousin was Martin Lange. Ex Chairman of Brentford FC and instigator of the idea of "Play Offs" for promotions in the Football League.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here