Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rolls Royce to Robin Reliant

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Robbie Savage and Paul Kitson have both been mentioned but I see them as tactical failures rather than poor signings.

Kitson made some delightful runs into space but out midfield plodders never spotted them, so he mostly wasted his energy. It must have been really frustrating for him.

Savage, on the other hand, was one of those where the tactic seemed to be just to give him the ball and then sit back and watch him. It meant he could never make a decent pass as he just got it straight back and nobody was trying to find space as they weren’t expecting to be passed to. Exactly the same happened at Crawley when John Robertson joined them at the end of his career.

I found both incredibly frustrating to watch, but never considered it was their fault.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Really! I thought Maybank did ok for us. Never managed to get a working rapport with Ward but I'd hardly describe him as a flop.

I would. I suppose in the context of the badly mis titled thread, we should refer to him as Maybank Teddy. Savage Robbie works well too!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Albion signing who came in with huge expectation and left to a chorus of derision.

Two spring to mind for me.

Junior McDougald, Liam Brady announced his signing at the 1994 Gulls Eye Dinner at the Dudley Hotel, raved about him, saying he could turn out to be another Peter Ward.

Jason Peake, huge outlay for where the club was at the time, his kinder critics would say he disappointing, the more cynical amongst us would argue he was actually nicking a living at the Goldstone.

This thread, and your quote about Peake, has re-surfaced here: https://inparallellines.wordpress.com/2022/08/31/big-money-signing-peake-hit-a-trough-at-the-albion/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here