Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manager’s pet players over the years

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Discussing on Twitter (yes yes I know) about us fans always having a scapegoat to blame but it also made me think that through the years manager’s have always had their own teachers pet type players who no one could understand what they offered the team except them.

So perhaps we can start a thread of nominations for such players through the years. Only rule is you have to back up why you thought said players got in the team, can be as frivolous as possible with the rationale.

I’ll start:-

Peter Taylor and Danny Webb. Utter bobbins striker who was so bad. Actually makes me look back on Mark McCammon with wistful misty eyes.

Suspect he only played because he had compromising pictures or something.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Didn't read thread properly :dunce:

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Discussing on Twitter (yes yes I know) about us fans always having a scapegoat to blame but it also made me think that through the years manager’s have always had their own teachers pet type players who no one could understand what they offered the team except them.

So perhaps we can start a thread of nominations for such players through the years. Only rule is you have to back up why you thought said players got in the team, can be as frivolous as possible with the rationale.

Peter Taylor and Danny Webb. Utter bobbins striker who was so bad. Actually makes me look back on Mark McCammon with wistful misty eyes.

Good call. Taylor was best mate with his Dad I believe.

I'll go Barry Lloyd and Richard Tiltman. Didn't he say that he was a better striker than Dean Saunders. From what I saw of Tiltman he could hardly have forced his way into my school team.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Oh, and Ashley Neale / Jimmy case. Ashley was the slowest, most useless player I ever saw in the stripes. Perhaps being the son of Phil Neale had something to do with being given the chance.
Anyone who was at the 1996 away game at Rochdale will testify to his incompetence.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Mark McGhee and the incredibly rubbish Calamity Wayne 'I'm here for my distribution' Henderson. Unfortunately he basked on the ground in the glory of his parried saves while forwards scored from endless opportunities palmed, passed or dropped in to their opportunist paths.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Talking of Mark McCammon, was he not Mark McGhee's favourite bad boy? He Christened him as "The Beast" l seem to remember, and the rest, (although there was very little of it), is history as the saying goes.

Perhaps Adam Virgo was another one of McGhee's pet players too, although he was one hundred times the player that McCammon ever was. Made us a mint with is million pound transfer north of the border too, at a time when we really needed the money.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Mark McGhee and the incredibly rubbish Calamity Wayne 'I'm here for my distribution' Henderson. Unfortunately he basked on the ground in the glory of his parried saves while forwards scored from endless opportunities palmed, passed or dropped in to their opportunist paths.

Yep, opposing teams didn't need anyone in the team to lay on the chances, Henderson provided all the assists for them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

You can't use Peter Taylor as your example and chose Danny Webb as the player!

Peter Taylor signed Junior Lewis at about FIVE clubs. If Taylor had a pet player, surely it was him!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Talking of Mark McCammon, was he not Mark McGhee's favourite bad boy? He Christened him as "The Beast" l seem to remember, and the rest, (although there was very little of it), is history as the saying goes.

Perhaps Adam Virgo was another one of McGhee's pet players too, although he was one hundred times the player that McCammon ever was. Made us a mint with is million pound transfer north of the border too, at a time when we really needed the money.

McCammon was known as "trolley" as i recall, presumably for wayward direction. Sir Virgo was deployed as cunning tactical ruse of a defender upfront, who scored a wonder goal against Leicester... played him about everywhere except defence.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
You can't use Peter Taylor as your example and chose Danny Webb as the player!

Peter Taylor signed Junior Lewis at about FIVE clubs. If Taylor had a pet player, surely it was him!

To be fair, Danny "great with his back to goal" Webb was awful... 1 goal in 15 for us and still kept getting game time hints that perhaps it was more than his ability that got him in the side

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Barry Lloyd - Richard Tiltman
CH - Leon Best

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Old Swedish national team coach Lars Lagerbäck had a bunch of those, annoying the shit out of people most of the time. He did lead Sweden to five straight tournaments though, something which will likely never be repeated. Almost as if football managers usually have a bit more understanding of the game than the average fan.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
McCammon was known as "trolley" as i recall, presumably for wayward direction. Sir Virgo was deployed as cunning tactical ruse of a defender upfront, who scored a wonder goal against Leicester... played him about everywhere except defence.
Super, super Mark;
Supermarket Trolley.......

Eeh. Happy days!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here