Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] NOT the 25 Man Squad - Loans, transfers and rumours

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With so much interest (among some of us) about the future of our returning loanees, and speculation about other youngsters going out on loan, I thought it might be an idea to have an inclusive thread about this, rather than separate threads cropping up for every player and every rumour.

Cochrane's future has already been mentioned on NSC - we activated a one year extension on his contract, presumably so we can get a fee for him. A return to Hearts (permanently) looks likely, but there is apparantly interest from the Championship too.
https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/hearts-set-win-alex-cochrane-24289538

Also previously mentioned has been Portsmouth's interest in Carl Rushworth.
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/...-with-barcelona-and-manchester-united-3736667

- bit speculative that, IMHO - reckon he needs a higher level loan than League 1 Pompey.

Anyway, thread now open ...................................

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think any loan for Rushworth ( or Scherpen ) might happen soon.

With pre-season training starting imminently in the EFL then teams will want their keepers in place.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
With so much interest (among some of us) about the future of our returning loanees, and speculation about other youngsters going out on loan, I thought it might be an idea to have an inclusive thread about this, rather than separate threads cropping up for every player and every rumour.

Cochrane's future has already been mentioned on NSC - we activated a one year extension on his contract, presumably so we can get a fee for him. A return to Hearts (permanently) looks likely, but there is apparantly interest from the Championship too.
https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/hearts-set-win-alex-cochrane-24289538

Also previously mentioned has been Portsmouth's interest in Carl Rushworth.
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/...-with-barcelona-and-manchester-united-3736667

- bit speculative that, IMHO - reckon he needs a higher level loan than League 1 Pompey.

Anyway, thread now open ...................................

At least if he does go to Pompey he'll have plenty of practice saving shots

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
You’d imagine that all of Khadra (USG), Richards (lower Champ) and Roberts (lower Champ/L1) will be going out on loan shortly

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I think any loan for Rushworth ( or Scherpen ) might happen soon.

With pre-season training starting imminently in the EFL then teams will want their keepers in place.

I imagine Scherpen will be staying and will be first choice for the U23s next season. Rotate between him and James Beadle

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I imagine Scherpen will be staying and will be first choice for the U23s next season. Rotate between him and James Beadle
I'm not so sure that the assumption that Scherpen is ahead of Rushworth in the pecking order is a very good assumption, TBF. Rushworth had a more successful loan than Scherpen.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I'm not so sure that the assumption that Scherpen is ahead of Rushworth in the pecking order is a very good assumption, TBF. Rushworth had a more successful loan than Scherpen.

I wasn’t saying that either are ahead. It’s just that Rushworth is very likely to be going out on loan again. U23s have also lost Desbois and Talley as goalkeepers this summer

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I suspect that you could say for any of our keepers really, even Jason Steele, (cup games apart), will only ever get the gig because of injury or suspension of Rob Sanchez.

We do have a very unique scenario where Steele is a comfortable 2nd keeper requiring any competition to jump from 3rd choice to 1st choice in the hope of any game time.

Even if we sold Sanchez I don't think Steele would get the number 1 jersey

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
We do have a very unique scenario where Steele is a comfortable 2nd keeper requiring any competition to jump from 3rd choice to 1st choice in the hope of any game time.

I'm sure Jason would love to play some football, but he's earning Premier League wages and doing a very specific role as part of the goalkeeper squad which includes other keepers, coaches and obviously his trusted role as bench warmer ready to play Premier League football at a moment's notice. Not an easy gig I'd say. Part of that role is a bit of match practice in the Cups. If we sold Sanchez I don't think Steele would step in because he already has a well paid job of his own for which he is valued. He might just be very happy with that.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I'm sure Jason would love to play some football, but he's earning Premier League wages and doing a very specific role as part of the goalkeeper squad which includes other keepers, coaches and obviously his trusted role as bench warmer ready to play Premier League football at a moment's notice. Not an easy gig I'd say. Part of that role is a bit of match practice in the Cups. If we sold Sanchez I don't think Steele would step in because he already has a well paid job of his own for which he is valued. He might just be very happy with that.

This. I think it must take a special sort of character to be a second or third choice keeper. You almost need to have the attributes of being great in training and as a support mechanism ahead of anything else.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

He wouldn't... and it is not unique. Most teams don't have and don't want competition for the goalie position since it is a position that comes with more pressure than any other role and you really don't want to add to that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here