Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Will the Unions bring everyone to their knees?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] 's sticky at the top of the Pit starts off like this:

I tend to stay out of this sub-forum, because two sides who will never see the other's perspective and go round and round n the same old circles

This thread is precisely meeting that criteria at the moment.

As with "Tory Meltdown" a series of national strikes by different entities should be a historic topic. School kids in the 2050s are going to look back at the 2020s with absolute horror and fascination, the way I did the late 1930s. And the internet should be an instant time capsule.

Unfortunately, one particular user's inability to back up any of his points and resort immediately to deflection isn't helping the thread, nor is the usual crowd of Bear Pit special kids circling him.

If you on the right want to keep this thread on the big board I suggest you become prepared to defend all of your points like an adult. And if you on the left still want access to this thread and the BB in general I suggest you wind your necks in.

I don't understand why somebody has to be prepared to defend what they say. Surely an opinion is enough. Whilst I maybe persuaded that unions have a function this strike is completely unjustified. I also dont see why I should be labelled right because of my views of this strike.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't understand why somebody has to be prepared to defend what they say. Surely an opinion is enough. Whilst I maybe persuaded that unions have a function this strike is completely unjustified. I also dont see why I should be labelled right because of my views of this strike.

Expressing a controversial opinion that you cannot defend when questioned on it is trolling, and trolling is frowned upon on NSC.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

It's very simple. Everybody is entitled to an Opinion. In order for that opinion to have some validity it needs

validity
/vəˈlɪdɪti/

noun
the quality of being logically or factually sound; soundness or cogency.
"one might question the validity of our data"

So people who post their opinion may be asked to validate that opinion by giving reasons why it it logically or factually sound. If they are incapable of that, they may be accused of speaking complete :shit: and trying to justify it by simply saying it is their Opinion with no validation whatsoever.

If they cannot validate it, maybe saying 'here is my opinion but it's complete :shit: it could save a lot of the arguments that occur on NSC ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's very simple. Everybody is entitled to an Opinion. In order for that opinion to have some validity it needs

validity
/vəˈlɪdɪti/

noun
the quality of being logically or factually sound; soundness or cogency.
"one might question the validity of our data"

So people who post their opinion may be asked to validate that opinion by giving reasons why it it logically or factually sound. If they are incapable of that, they may be accused of speaking complete :shit: and trying to justify it by simply saying it is their Opinion with no validation whatsoever.

If they cannot validate it, maybe saying 'here is my opinion but it's complete :shit: it could save a lot of the arguments that occur on NSC ???

Precisely.

If I consider that the moon is made of cheese, that is an opinion and I am entitled to it.

If I'm feeling a bit florid, I may start a thread on the cheesiness of the moon on NSC.

If I ignore most replies, then occasionally pop on to decry those who think the moon is made of rock, and reiterate my stance, that's.....trollery. No matter how well-meaning, sincere and lacking in any sort of abuse :shrug:

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

why are unions described as being on the left? as they are clearly on the side of people

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
why are unions described as being on the left? as they are clearly on the side of people

No point engaging with any side tracking. Post #862 is definitive :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Precisely.

If I condsier that the moon is made of cheese, that is an opinion and I am entitled to it.

If I'm feeling a bit florid, I may start a thread on the cheesiness of the moon on NSC.

If I ignore most replies, then occasionally pop on to decry those who think the moon is made of rock, and reiterate my stance, that's.....trollery. No matter how well-meaning, sincere and lacking in any sort of abuse :shrug:

Exactly.

Talking complete and utter bollocks is one of the great traditions of NSC and when asked, the postee acknowledges that it is complete and utter bollocks and part of the rich tapestry of NSC.

However, when someone posts complete and utter bollocks and then insists that it's not complete and utter bollocks, you'll tend to find a few will pile in. The more times they insist it's not complete and utter bollocks with absolutely no evidence to the contrary, the more will pile in. It's just simple mathematics :shrug:

And for one or two other posters on here, to get the whole picture, you need to understand that sometimes it's the only attention they get in life and that's why they do it :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Exactly.

Talking complete and utter bollocks is one of the great traditions of NSC and when asked, the postee acknowledges that it is complete and utter bollocks and part of the rich tapestry of NSC.

However, when someone posts complete and utter bollocks and then insists that it's not complete and utter bollocks, you'll tend to find a few will pile in. The more times they insist it's not complete and utter bollocks with absolutely no evidence to the contrary, the more will pile in. It's just simple mathematics :shrug:

And for one or two other posters on here, to get the whole picture, you need to understand that sometimes it's the only attention they get in life and that's why they do it :wink:

I agree with everything apart from the last sentence. I am quite content that [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] is well meaning and a decent person with a nice set of circumstances and a jolly life. I just wish he.....wouldn't keep posting threads that.......why not just take stock....consider the impact of the new thread.....FFS I stopped posting idiotic music threads and being a dick on other music threads when I was duffed up by two sensible posters whose opinions I respect (I did put one of them on ignore for a bit, but sulking as a temporary thing is no bad thing. Ahem.)

My old boss (my PhD supervisor) is 82. I chat with him regularly. He regularly mocks me for being a vicar (rather than a bookie - see Alan Watkins), with my tendency to rebuke others for poor standards (in research). So I am learning to cut some slack....people are different....and NSC is so much gentler than it was....

The great leap forward I hope would be that provocative thread starters be prepared to manage any fire they start.....as indeed most do. Hey ho. Never mind. We continue to breathe and live. :thumbsup:

(Also, to me, either something matters or it doesn't. I am an absolutist, my brain wiring allows nothing else, unless I fight very hard to step away - which I can - not a common gift for people like me, so I gather).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I agree with everything apart from the last sentence. I am quite content that [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] is well meaning and a decent person with a nice set of circumstances and a jolly life. I just wish he.....wouldn't keep posting threads that.......why not just take stock....consider the impact of the new thread.....FFS I stopped posting idiotic music threads and being a dick on other music threads when I was duffed up by two sensible posters whose opinions I respect (I did put one of them on ignore for a bit, but sulking as a temporary thing is no bad thing. Ahem.)

My old boss (my PhD supervisor) is 82. I chat with him regularly. He regularly mocks me for being a vicar (rather than a bookie - see Alan Watkins), with my tendency to rebuke others for poor standards (in research). So I am learning to cut some slack....people are different....and NSC is so much gentler than it was....

The great leap forward I hope would be that provocative thread starters be prepared to manage any fire they start.....as indeed most do. Hey ho. Never mind. We continue to breathe and live. :thumbsup:

(Also, to me, either something matters or it doesn't. I am an absolutist, my brain wiring allows nothing else, unless I fight very hard to step away - which I can - not a common gift for people like me, so I gather).

NSC is certainly gentler in the last couple of months and far better for it :thumbsup:

But I haven't posted on the Coldplay thread yet :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Exactly.

Spot on

I'm fluent in several testicular based dialects.

As a consequence I've been occasionally lambasted tasted the black coffee Got down to it , even reverted with a bit of hot n tasty.

But I don't do humble pie. . . And I've never spent 30 days in the hole.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Precisely.

If I consider that the moon is made of cheese, that is an opinion and I am entitled to it.

But hang on - I thought Wallace & Gromit had proved decisively that the moon was made of cheese. They bought some back with them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But hang on - I thought Wallace & Gromit had proved decisively that the moon was made of cheese. They bought some back with them.

Bang to rights.

I'll get my coat.

Of many colours. Jesus gave it to me! :rave::rave::rave::banana:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If we stand vulnerable as a country, that is absolutely totally the fault of our government, which has created the conditions where so many people are really suffering purely because of the cost of living crisis.

People have kept things going, faced danger through the darkest days of COVID, taken pay cuts and now basically just can not afford to live. What are they supposed to do!

To be fair the whole world is suffering the cost of living crisis (it may be worse in the UK of course I haven't looked at the stats). The difference is that after years of austerity imposed by Tory governments, Boris and his madness, COVID, the ever-revealing madness of Brexit and other factors you guys in the UK have been shat on for many many years now.

Of course all this is the Unions fault :lolol:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Exactly.

This is a huge issue in the social media age. Many seem to think that their right to free speech extends to not being pulled up or called out on the nonsense they post.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes, I would like to persuade them to change their votes, primarily because the basis of current tory success is dividing people into 'us' and 'them';

I am not fundamentally anti-tory but this government is not really tory it's the Boris Johnson Party - a sort of cult, built on lies and supported primarily by Johnson stakeholders but also voters who have factored in/forgotten/never acknowledged/never really understood the heavy freight of sleaze and corruption the mendacious leader continues to bring into our politics.

That's why I would like to persuade them to change their votes.

That’s all fair enough. You won’t do it though by calling their support base vacuous. These threads always seem to go the same way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here