Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Black Deer Festival - Anyone Else Go?

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Loved the vibe and it was well organised. Felice Brothers on the Friday always a treat, Van was OK but for me there just wasn’t enough Country.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I went for a second time. Great overall, but the ruddy wristband payment thing has got to go.

The Saturday night evacuation (electrical storms) sounded like a disaster. People waiting hours to get busses out etc.

Quite enough country for my taste...

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Have looked at going in the past but looked at the line up and gave it a miss. Other than Cam, Ward Thomas and Kezia Gill there wasn't really anything that floated my boat that much.
The Long Road has a pretty good line up, but again not quite good enough to justify the cost / trip to Leicestershire.
Will be keeping an eye on the line ups for both next year (along with C2C obviously).

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I agree about the wrist band charging thing - bloody disaster and so unnecessary when we all have contactless these days. Didn’t stay and camp, just travelled in each day and apart from Wilco I wasn’t much interested in the Saturday lineup so buggered off before the storms.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Went a few years ago as we sponsored the bars and got in free!! I enjoyed it and would have gone this time if but for an op a few days before. Plus I'd have paid this time!

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Went a few years ago as we sponsored the bars and got in free!! I enjoyed it and would have gone this time if but for an op a few days before. Plus I'd have paid this time!

I got in free too but would think about buying tickets if I don’t get a freebie next year (retirement has it’s drawbacks) depends on the lineup.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I got in free too but would think about buying tickets if I don’t get a freebie next year (retirement has it’s drawbacks) depends on the lineup.

Perhaps not really my taste in music but passable and a good vibe. Thought the layout works as well

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I agree about the wrist band charging thing - bloody disaster and so unnecessary when we all have contactless these days.

It's purely done for the organisers' benefit. They monitor and 'tax' takings - 20% according to some.

There's zero upside for punters and it's v v unreliable. I got double-charged for beers at one point, and it took a look of faff to correct.

It's not the only festival doing this, but it needs to be dropped for next year.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I loved the vibe, very friendly and seemingly no dickheads. Just would have liked a bit more contemporary country, as JJ says, maybe I should look again at C2C.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
It's purely done for the organisers' benefit. They monitor and 'tax' takings - 20% according to some.

There's zero upside for punters and it's v v unreliable. I got double-charged for beers at one point, and it took a look of faff to correct.

It's not the only festival doing this, but it needs to be dropped for next year.

Yes, all done to make sure that the organisers get their cut. Mine just packed up and I had to queue to get it fixed.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Loved the vibe and it was well organised. Felice Brothers on the Friday always a treat, Van was OK but for me there just wasn’t enough Country.

Went Friday. Far too Tunbridge Wellsy for my liking. Strange audience. Full of Tarquins and Tamara's with little Felix and Appleblossom in tow and then a fair few folk into the full on Americana redneck scene (including a bloke done up EXACTLY like Wild Bill from Phoenix Nights). Made for a very weird atmosphere with polite applause at the end of each number.

Only really went to see James who were average at best, played Sit Down despite him saying he'd never play it live again. Didn't play Laid.

Felice Brothers were enjoyable though as was Jake Bugg. Thought Imelda May was trying to be a poor mans PJ Harvey. Saw a redneck version of the White Stripes in one of the tents who were good but can't remember what their name was.

Did like the setup though. Disagree with [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] think the wrist band thing worked pretty well. I certainly never had to queue for very long for a beer or to top up guess it might have been a bind just after the gates opened.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Disagree with [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] think the wrist band thing worked pretty well.

Witnessed numerous problems (aside from mine) and long, long queues on Saturday.

At one point the credit card system went down (phone signal another problem), so punters were forced to top-up the cashless wristband with cash (!!!). It was £2.99 to withdraw cash.

Saw several instances terminals not reading wristbands. Was driving stall-holders and punters crazy.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Witnessed numerous problems (aside from mine) and long, long queues on Saturday.

At one point the credit card system went down (phone signal another problem), so punters were forced to top-up the cashless wristband with cash (!!!). It was £2.99 to withdraw cash.

Saw several instances terminals not reading wristbands. Was driving stall-holders and punters crazy.

Oh well that does sound pretty crap and I was obviously lucky. I topped up twice and got served pretty much instantly on each occasion without any issues.

Didn't know about the £2.99 charge to get your money back. That is scandalous! I left about a fiver on mine which was a bonus for the chap I passed my wrist band on to.

Could you get your money back on the cups as well? Sure I read you could but they had those black bins all over the place just for cups. Again I didn't bother so that was another £2 they got off me for the non branded cup.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Anybody go to the Lewes beer festival last weekend? I went to the beer festival last weekend at the Wilkes head eastergate a wide choice of ales from all-around the country from 3.6 up to 6.7 in strength.well organised.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Templeton Peck

Faceman
Jul 15, 2009
Brighton
Did anyone go to C2C this year? We didn't in the end as we took our refund from the 2019 postponement. I hear that there was loads of trouble on the Sunday night?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Did anyone go to C2C this year? We didn't in the end as we took our refund from the 2019 postponement. I hear that there was loads of trouble on the Sunday night?

Yeah. Sunday evening a large number of travellers without tickets managed to get in to the arena and were roaming around in groups trying to find seats, no hassle where I was but from what I hear caused a lot of trouble intimidating and forcing people out of their seats down towards the front.
Other than that it was great and good to finally use the tickets we bought 3 (or was it 4) years ago.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Anybody go to the Lewes beer festival last weekend? I went to the beer festival last weekend at the Wilkes head eastergate a wide choice of ales from all-around the country from 3.6 up to 6.7 in strength.well organised.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Yes. I went on Friday evening. Have to say that it was good to be back at a proper festival in a great building. Mainly Sussex breweries (although not Dark Star) with a sprinkling of some from elsewhere eg Oakham and Tiny Rebel. The catering was cancelled due to covid so the crisps were selling fast.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here