Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Five Britons released after arrest by Taliban

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61869012

I might be missing something here - it wouldn't be the first time - but why do people keep doing things like this, then wondering why it all goes tits up?

It's like people who aren't capable who go hiking up mountains or swimming in deep waters, only to be rescued at great expense. Not to mention risking the lives of those who are forced to bail them out.

It seems pretty clear to me. Don't go to these places or do stupid, risky things.

It can't just be that simple?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Similar to men leaving the UK and their families behind of their own volition to travel to Ukraine to join a warzone and fight against the russians.

I don't really get it. I guess its seen as an "adventure" of sorts, but the risks are so catastrophic and life-changing, I just don't understand how they can balance that up in their own minds.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's also not a good idea to steal an A4 sized sign from a North Korean hotel.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Similar to men leaving the UK and their families behind of their own volition to travel to Ukraine to join a warzone and fight against the russians.

I don't really get it. I guess its seen as an "adventure" of sorts, but the risks are so catastrophic and life-changing, I just don't understand how they can balance that up in their own minds.

'sake. I was just about to PM you to see if you fancy coming metal detecting in Iran before the season starts. I guess that's a 'no' then?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I worked in a snowboard shop and sold a lot of split-boarding and back country survival gear to some French squaddies who after their tour went back to hike/ride the mountains.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

I might be missing something here - it wouldn't be the first time - but why do people keep doing things like this, then wondering why it all goes tits up?

It's like people who aren't capable who go hiking up mountains or swimming in deep waters, only to be rescued at great expense. Not to mention risking the lives of those who are forced to bail them out.

It seems pretty clear to me. Don't go to these places or do stupid, risky things.

I agree , seems mad to me . I wouldn’t travel to South America because if all the kidnapping & out of control gun crime let alone countries that are full to the brim with jihadis .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
'sake. I was just about to PM you to see if you fancy coming metal detecting in Iran before the season starts. I guess that's a 'no' then?

He can't he's coming pottery shard collecting in Iraq with me

There's plenty of time for all of that. Right after I've finished my journalism lecture courses for Afghan women in Kabul xx

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

The most common reason to go to Afghanistan is to buy heroin. If you have some connections you can buy a kilo for well under £1000 - £500 if lucky - and then sell it for £20 000 (or more) elsewhere, like in the UK. A lot of profit, entirely tax free.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
metal detecting in Iran

06229D60-4E3C-41FB-8A65-2BA79C3FE27B.jpeg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I hope you paid your licence fee before sourcing that left wing information ???

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I hope you paid your licence fee before sourcing that left wing information ???

We just established in the other thread that I do pay my license fee.

Memory letting you down, old bean?

No license fee is actually needed to use the BBC website, however, so your comment is irrelevant.

Still, nice content :D

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We just established in the other thread that I do pay my license fee.

Memory letting you down, old bean?

No license fee is actually needed to use the BBC website, however, so your comment is irrelevant.

Still, nice content :D

Given that irony appears to be a stretch too far for you....I'll keep this as simple as possible.....you recently declared that the BBC is left wing (in a pejorative way) yet you also start another thread using a quote from the BBC website as your inspiration. What I'm getting at is that your capricious double standards somewhat undermine the value of your opinions. Which is why I offered you a chat with my cat, meaning that a cat probably has a better chance of getting food for thought from you than your average human being. No offence meant.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

You must have taken a risk here or there? Eaten a pie at Selhurst, been away to Millwall in the 80's, had a bottle with a top on it at the Amex?

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
The most common reason to go to Afghanistan is to buy heroin. If you have some connections you can buy a kilo for well under £1000 - £500 if lucky - and then sell it for £20 000 (or more) elsewhere, like in the UK. A lot of profit, entirely tax free.

Out of order that is, sounds like tax evasion to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here